PDA

View Full Version : Front bottom ball joint - WORN???

trackdemon
20-08-2004, 02:36 PM
Car went in for an MOT the other week and was failed on the NSF lower ball joint having play in it - no problem you'd think, just replace the joint. Er, no.
Seems the ball joint is not a separate part and is actually part of the lower arm (yes, the intricate cast aluminium beauty) and as such will cost a fortune to replace (circa £900); last thing I need before heading off on holiday.
Anyway, I spoke to Elite as the car is going in for a service on Monday and they were very surprised to hear that the joint was worn, as they'd never heard of that joint wearing out ever. Having seen it myself I can understand why, its huge! To compound the situation I jacked the car up myself last night to check what was really happening and whilst there seemed to be a little play when I rock the wheel horizontally (looked like track-rod end) there was none when trying to rock the wheel vertically. Surely if the joint was worn it would have some movment in it?
So I'm left wondering what's really going on here - I don't want to pay out £900 for a suspension arm if it doesn't really need it, but I need the car MOT'd by Friday. Not taking the NSX would be gut wrenching.
So does anyone more technically aware than me know if there's room for misinterpretation on the bottom ball joint? Is there a way of separating it from the arm? Shall I just get a dodgy MOT? :lol: (Joke)

ctrlaltdelboy
24-08-2004, 12:32 PM
I asked Mark Johnson for feedback on this issue and here is what he said in 3 subsequent replies

1. We did replace one where the aluminum part was BENT from a track incident, but never from wearing out. I will ask around

2. This is pretty vague, he doesn't even say if it's front or rear. If it's the ball joint on the rear toe link it's a lot cheaper than an A arm. If it's the front he may want to check the pre-load on the steering rack. Either way, he's correct about not being able to replace just the ball joint. All he needs is someone competent and honest to see which if any of the ball joints are bad. Hint - The front lower ball joints on the A arms are the load bearing ball joints and should be checked with a load on them (i.e. not dangling in the air). A floor jack under the A arm works just fine

3. if there is movment up and down then its a ball joint. and if its side to side then its a bearing. never seen a ball joint bad but seen some bearings go bad

hope that helps

trackdemon
25-08-2004, 08:52 AM
I asked Mark Johnson for feedback on this issue and here is what he said in 3 subsequent replies

1. We did replace one where the aluminum part was BENT from a track incident, but never from wearing out. I will ask around

2. This is pretty vague, he doesn't even say if it's front or rear. If it's the ball joint on the rear toe link it's a lot cheaper than an A arm. If it's the front he may want to check the pre-load on the steering rack. Either way, he's correct about not being able to replace just the ball joint. All he needs is someone competent and honest to see which if any of the ball joints are bad. Hint - The front lower ball joints on the A arms are the load bearing ball joints and should be checked with a load on them (i.e. not dangling in the air). A floor jack under the A arm works just fine

3. if there is movment up and down then its a ball joint. and if its side to side then its a bearing. never seen a ball joint bad but seen some bearings go bad

hope that helps

Thanks for the reply! I did state it was the front lower, albeit abbreviated:

"...failed on the NSF lower ball joint..."

Anyway, all has come to a happy conclusion having had the car looked at by somebody who actually knows something about Honda's. It went to Elite for a service + MOT on Monday, returned with a fresh MOT which rather begs the question of why was it failed before? So I'm £35 out of pocket but at least I have an MOT'd car ready for its trip to France on Saturday. Bring it on!

ctrlaltdelboy
25-08-2004, 09:11 AM
sounds like an excellent result Steve - well done!

Kevin
28-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Incidentally, the NSX isn't the only Honda which Honda want you to buy a whole arm, just to replace a ball joint. For more common models though ball joints are available from 3rd party suppliers.