PDA

View Full Version : Help re Brake cables!!!

sportyking
07-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Guys, apologies for dropping this thread in here but it is technical but not NSX and I suspect I may have a chance of a response here.

I am at the stage of asking Speedy Cables to make up some prototype handbrake cables for a new rear brake setup on my Atom, but have a nagging doubt about the following:

It has a motorsport type handbrake that operates two cables (one for n/s one for o/s).
For a neat installation I would like the o/s cable to be 116cm outer cable shoulder to shoulder but the n/s needs to be a minimum of 225 but would probably be better around 275-285cm.

The question is whether the cable stretch on cables of such different lengths will show up at the brake rollers with much less braking effort at the n/s/r wheel.

I would be grateful if anyone has experience or knowledge of this type of issue.

Many thanks

AR
07-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Have you tried posting on www.pistonheads.com (http://www.pistonheads.com) ? They have a section for car builders and I am sure you'll get a fster response. Failing that I think a few members here have Caterhams and might have some experience in that area. Sorry I can't be of much help.

Cheers,

AR

sportyking
07-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Never thought of PH, will do that now, Ta.

britlude
07-01-2007, 05:27 PM
does the handbrake mechanism have a floating yoke that the 2 handbrake cables mount into, or are they solid mounted to the handle? if the former, then I wouldn't worry, if the latter, then you would be relying on a little stretch to balance the handbrakes up anyway (ie. to allow for differences in the brake caliper mechanism)

sportyking
07-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Yes it does!!! while I was getting ready to type it into PH I realised how it works to balance the force using the fulcrum arrangement.
School and apprentice training has clearly disappeared in the mists of time :)

Many thanks