PDA

View Full Version : NSX-R Production figures

fuzilov
03-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Does any one have solid figures for production numbers of NA1/2 Rs..
I have always thought around 1200 all in but do not know how many NA1 made or NA2s.

AR
03-01-2007, 05:20 PM
As far as I know about 200 of yours and 500 of mine.

Cheers,

AR

markc
03-01-2007, 06:35 PM
What about S Zero's, surely the forgotten link between the 2 R's

Of course mine's a fatboy S :-)

Mark

AR
03-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Mark I believe that the S type moved into the custom program, that was available until the end of production.

They should have called the S Zero NA2 type R mark 1 or NSX-R Mk2.

Cheers,

AR

Lankstarr
03-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I know that Ary's Without Limits special is another story but what is more desirable (trying to steer away from asking what is "better") the NA1 type R or the NA2 Type S?

Also I thought that the S Zero was different to a standard S?

.. and I call myself an NSX owner! Still we all have to learn somehow!

Cheers

Luke

simonprelude
03-01-2007, 09:56 PM
The answers are on here as to which is better :)

http://www.dukevideo.com/images/products/ZZ3671.jpg

Clicky (http://www.dukevideo.com/Cars/DVD/Road%20cars/Best%20Motoring%20International/DVD%20Roaring%20V-tecbest%20Internationalvol%204.aspx)

markc
03-01-2007, 11:30 PM
Ary, I'm not entirely sure about the Custom Program and how it relates to the Type S or indeed any NSX that went through the program. My guess is that if as a new buyer you wanted your new car painted in a non standard colour, with a differant colour leather trim or the wood centre console etc it would come through the Custom Program?
My car has Custom Program sill plates but I assumed it was because the original purchaser specified a bunch of non standard "options" which had to be retrofitted or caused the car to be taken off the main production line. Having said that Imola Orange Pearl was a non standard colour option for the JDM 1997/98model year but along with the flat mid blue, and metallic lime green were standard colours (?) for the S/S Zeros.
My supposedly lightweight car has a/c, pas, cruise, tcs, twin airbags and a stereo. (The drivers airbag and cruise are about to go in the skip though). Having said that, most Type R's also seem to have a/c and stereo and the biggest weight savings come from the single pane rear cabin screen (glass) and seats.

Luke, the S Zero differs from the S in that it's spring rates are equivelent to the Type R in firmness, which is roughly 25% stiffer again than the S. They both use the same, thicker, rear anti roll bar. The S is itself roughly 65% stiffer than the standard NA2 NSX. The increased damper rates are even higher, in percentage terms, than these increased spring rates. In all other respects the S and S Zero are the same and follow the R theme ie reduced sound proofing, thin (rubbish) carpet, lighter wheels, lighter spoiler, mesh engine cover. Neither the S or S Zero have shorter final drive ratio's like both the R's do.

I suspect that an S Zero is less likely to have been spec'ed up with options than an S but new buyers in this sort of market are a strange lot. More money than sense you might say! Whitness the number of RS Clubsport Porsches with a/c, stereo etc when really if you need those comforts you wouldn't actually start with an RS Clubsport.

Luke, IMHO the Type R designation has a cache that the Type S will never be able to match and therefore the R's will be more desirable and sought after.
Which is best is entirely upto your requirements. The S, S Zero and both R's are all likely to be too firm, loud, basic and uncomfortable for the majority of drivers, at least as roadcars. The standard NSX hits such a sweet spot as a roadcar that the tougher, harder versions probably make them worse cars for most people. Best to have one of each :-))

Simon, is the DVD in English? Might have to get me a copy but only if I can understand what they're saying :-)

Cheers

Mark

AR
03-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Ary, I'm not entirely sure about the Custom Program and how it relates to the Type S or indeed any NSX that went through the program. My guess is that if as a new buyer you wanted your new car painted in a non standard colour, with a differant colour leather trim or the wood centre console etc it would come through the Custom Program?
My car has Custom Program sill plates but I assumed it was because the original purchaser specified a bunch of non standard "options" which had to be retrofitted or caused the car to be taken off the main production line. Having said that Imola Orange Pearl was a non standard colour option for the JDM 1997/98model year but along with the flat mid blue, and metallic lime green were standard colours (?) for the S/S Zeros.
My supposedly lightweight car has a/c, pas, cruise, tcs, twin airbags and a stereo. (The drivers airbag and cruise are about to go in the skip though). Having said that, most Type R's also seem to have a/c and stereo and the biggest weight savings come from the single pane rear cabin screen (glass) and seats.

Luke, the S Zero differs from the S in that it's spring rates are equivelent to the Type R in firmness, which is roughly 25% stiffer again than the S. They both use the same, thicker, rear anti roll bar. The S is itself roughly 65% stiffer than the standard NA2 NSX. The increased damper rates are even higher, in percentage terms, than these increased spring rates. In all other respects the S and S Zero are the same and follow the R theme ie reduced sound proofing, thin (rubbish) carpet, lighter wheels, lighter spoiler, mesh engine cover. Neither the S or S Zero have shorter final drive ratio's like both the R's do.

I suspect that an S Zero is less likely to have been spec'ed up with options than an S but new buyers in this sort of market are a strange lot. More money than sense you might say! Whitness the number of RS Clubsport Porsches with a/c, stereo etc when really if you need those comforts you wouldn't actually start with an RS Clubsport.

Luke, IMHO the Type R designation has a cache that the Type S will never be able to match and therefore the R's will be more desirable and sought after.
Which is best is entirely upto your requirements. The S, S Zero and both R's are all likely to be too firm, loud, basic and uncomfortable for the majority of drivers, at least as roadcars. The standard NSX hits such a sweet spot as a roadcar that the tougher, harder versions probably make them worse cars for most people. Best to have one of each :-))

Simon, is the DVD in English? Might have to get me a copy but only if I can understand what they're saying :-)

Cheers

Mark

I agree with Mark, one point is OBD. With an NSX-R you will be able to do more in terms of tuning, or at least easier.

The Type S has HID as standard and nice contrasting interior.

The NSX-R has no PAS, Cruise or Front Foglights.

All in all not much there really.

Cheers,

AR

Procar Specials
04-01-2007, 08:48 AM
I have asked my Honda R&D buddy in japan.

Finally we have these production numbers

483x NSX-R NA1
152x NSX-R NA2
30x NSX S Zero
248x NSX NA2 Type S
5x NSX-R GT

fuzilov
04-01-2007, 10:19 AM
thanks for answer,nsx-r also has no traction control and your right is a lot harder on bum you are constantly jumping around on slightest bumps,Honda have it now for civic type R launch and have lent me red 91 auto which is dreadful but easier as a day to day drive.

markc
04-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Thank you Mr Procar, very interesting.

Actually, there are 2 differant NA2 Type S versions, 1997-2001 "pop-up" headlight (MK1) and 2001-2005 "fixed" (Mk2).
Cheeky I know, but if you get a chance could you ask your contact how the 248 NA2 Type S's are split?
There are probably more Mk1's than Mk2's but the facelift may have rejunvinated sales to a near even split.

Thanks

Mark

Procar Specials
04-01-2007, 01:12 PM

483x NSX-R NA1
152x NSX-R NA2
30x NSX S Zero
248x NSX NA2 Type S (209x 1997-2001; 39x 2002+)
5x NSX-R GT

AR
04-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the figures Detlef now we have numbers. I wonder how many are on the roads.

Cheers,

AR

Lankstarr
04-01-2007, 01:40 PM

483x NSX-R NA1
152x NSX-R NA2
30x NSX S Zero
248x NSX NA2 Type S (209x 1997-2001; 39x 2002+)
5x NSX-R GT

Can you break them down by colour as well? Just kidding :lol:

Thanks for the info - nice to know our chances of getting one for all of us R/S wannabes!

Ary - I wonder how many "without limits" special type Rs there are out there;)

L*

fuzilov
04-01-2007, 01:51 PM
were all the nsx-r gts sold?

Procar Specials
04-01-2007, 02:09 PM
AFAIK, USA and Australia have no NSX-R's, only lots of people who are buying this
ultraexpensive parts.
(I'm one of them too, but my parts development dont stopped in year 2002 ;) )

In UK, I know about 2 NA1R's and 1 NA2R, in germany we have 2 NA2R's.
BUt maybe there is another anonym owner, who knows.

Looks like the most of these care are owned from japanese collectors, you can be sure
that not too much are driving around. Maybe 100 cars.
Last NSX Fiesta saw 34 NSX-R's, old and new.

A pity that Honda didnt sold that cars officialy outside from japan, not sure about that
philosophy..... and press cars are not everyone's favourite, I have seen some journalists driving around here and there.
These guys butchered 2 R engines during having fun with that cars, 1 during tests sessions at a german track, 1 engine in spain.

Now, a standard 3.2l engine is installed, nice for the new possible owner.
But maybe he will never notice that. (sorry, thats a bit off topic)

fuzilov
04-01-2007, 02:09 PM
the NSX-R are therefore very rare considering
PRODUCTION FIGURES OF OTHER MANUFACTURERS:

AC Cobras 316

AUDI QUATTRO SPORT 220

BMW M1 457

FERRARI 250 GT SWB 167

FERRARI 275 GTB/4 350

FERRARI BOXER 387

FORD GT40 107

LAMBORGHINI MUIRA 800

LAMBORGHINI COUNTACH 1000

LANCIA STRATOS 492

MERCEDES 300SL (1954) 1400

PORSCHE 911RS 1580

Procar Specials
04-01-2007, 03:19 PM
well, looks like you have the rarest car in UK, even if some JDM parts are removed for
the UK market.

Honda Europe in Germany got this driving permission for his press cars in full spec about their industry pool, but as privatier its impossible to get that permission for a street use.
(we checked that 3 times)
So its a car for collectors only.

markc
04-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Procar,

There was also a white NA1 NSX-R that did the magazine rounds in 1994 (pic attached). It wore the registration number L421 WMR which was also used on an IOP Type S/Zero for Honda brochure photos in 1997/8. A sister black TypeS/Zero in the same shots wore P888 BAM. Neither registration comes up as a "hit" on the DVLA vehicle search so the plates could be falsies. Any idea what happed to these cars?

An ex Honda technician told me that there's a white NA1 NSX-R at the Honda Insitute at Colnbrook in the UK where they train mechanics/technicians. He said the car is only used for the guys to take apart and put back together and is not allowed out on the public road. :-( No idea if this is true or not.

Cheers

Mark

AR
04-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Great find Mark, funny enough the NSX-R in the picture is missing the mesh cover that go in place of the fog lights.

Cheers,

AR

AR
04-01-2007, 10:16 PM
BTW Mark Have you got any of the pictures from the day we met at RSJ?

Cheers,

AR

markc
04-01-2007, 10:51 PM
I don't think they're missing Ary but for some reason the grills have what looks like straw caught in them!

I do have a couple of pics fro our meet. Would you like me to email them to you? (Here's one in the meantime)

Mark

AR
04-01-2007, 11:18 PM
Cheers Mark,

Check PM please.

AR
04-01-2007, 11:48 PM
Maybe I am biased, but the JDM rear bumper looks so much better that the UK one. Anyone else agrees?

Cheers,

AR

Procar Specials
05-01-2007, 08:54 AM
I have to agree, but regulations are regulations.

(BTW...its also quite difficult to remove the euro smile)

Procar Specials
05-01-2007, 08:55 AM

If there is a small licence plate, its OK.
We have only big ones here in germany, so the NSX-R plate looked funny

Senninha
05-01-2007, 10:17 AM

JDM does look cleaner, and does away with the saggy surround .... is this what you mean Detlef about the euro smile? If it is, why not produce us Euro owners a nice CF replacement that wont bend? :D

Ary, in the photo above it looks like you were running with tinted glass? Is this right? If so, what are you thoughts? Would you do it again?

regards

Paul

simonprelude
05-01-2007, 10:29 AM
It is what he means and I have already asked, however due to expected low production numbers Detlef said no.

However I have someone else who is willing to produce these and I have a spare surround at the moment, the next time I see him I will drop it off.

If it is, why not produce us Euro owners a nice CF replacement that wont bend? :D

TheQuietOne
05-01-2007, 10:35 AM
JDM does look cleaner, and does away with the saggy surround .... is this what you mean Detlef about the euro smile? If it is, why not produce us Euro owners a nice CF replacement that wont bend? :D

Ary, in the photo above it looks like you were running with tinted glass? Is this right? If so, what are you thoughts? Would you do it again?

regards

Paul

Wouldn't you be smiling if you were being dragged around by that engine!?!?!

;)

Senninha
05-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Wouldn't you be smiling if you were being dragged around by that engine!?!?! ;)

Ah Hah, now we can identify the low numbers Matt, you're engines in the wrong place!! ..... the rest of us are pushed along by ours ;) Maybe you're running a kit car based on a Prelude?? :lol:

Happy New Year buddy

TheQuietOne
05-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Ah Hah, now we can identify the low numbers Matt, you're engines in the wrong place!! ..... the rest of us are pushed along by ours ;) Maybe you're running a kit car based on a Prelude?? :lol:

Happy New Year buddy

Happy New Year, unfortunately the euphoria of your good news, plus the fast onset of dimensure have caused you to read my post incorrectly, if your number plate surround (smile) is being pushed you must have a civic engine on a trailer behind yours or something!??!?!?!

I don't know the quality of 'posters' on here just seems to lower each year...:rolleyes:

Essex Boys...!

markc
05-01-2007, 11:05 AM
I do prefer the JDM bumper but as Detlef observes it needs a small/short registration number ie single numeric, to look it's best. Fortunately my car came with one of these :-)

I've since effected solution to the rubbish JDM front registration plate holder along the lines of Paul's (P26 OLU) solution. Looks much better.

FWIW, the Type S's used in the 1997 brochure both had UK spec rear bumpers?

Mark

Procar Specials
05-01-2007, 11:47 AM
The german Honda press car from 2002 and the euro smile car

http://media.autobild.de/bild/A/fc30f657ec383938c823de026cbc7b5a_1.jpg

http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/data/500/5576NSX-R_cf_diffusor_6-med.JPG

AR
05-01-2007, 12:07 PM

regards

Paul

Paul,

The car came with tinted glass. I was always in two minds about removing it, since one runs the risk of messing up the rear de-fog and it made the car so much easier to live with in the summer.

The current car has the OEM greenish glass and that is as far as it goes, I think that people are more intrigued about a tinted car and thus more liable to break in.

But it does keep the car cooler.

Cheers,

AR

simonprelude
08-01-2007, 05:58 PM
It is for the main in English, however, the few Japanese parts are subtitled, the NSX, R, S and S Zero parts are all in English. I have forced myself to watch this again today, such a chore :)

AR
09-01-2007, 12:32 AM
What is the acual title Simon? Is it V-Tec club # 4?

Cheers,

AR

Senninha
09-01-2007, 12:37 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=rlU1N6K824I&mode=related&search=

1m51s into the video, the NSR is airbourne:D

gsuds
09-01-2007, 03:51 PM

regards

Paul

Paul,

I've a fairly dark tint on my windows - car came to me like that - very good in summer, and I think it looks pretty good with the dark wheels too. There will doubtless be many who disagree! :rolleyes:

Graham

TheQuietOne
09-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Any pics...???

I do like silver with dark windows though...

simonprelude
09-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Roaring VTEC the battle at 10,000 rpm's.

What is the acual title Simon? Is it V-Tec club # 4?

Cheers,

AR

AR
09-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Cheers Simon!

gsuds
09-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Any pics...???

I do like silver with dark windows though...

Will do pics in the unlikely event of a favourable time off/car cleanliness/decent weather combo! The avatar pic's not really good enough to see the effect.....