PDA

View Full Version : Fuel flap cable failure

Senninha
03-01-2007, 02:10 PM
Whilst surfing northbound to Corby Glen on Saturday (boy these F1's are good in the rain!!), I noticed the fuel flap was open. Thinking I must have caught the release lever I didn't worry about it until I reached the services.

On checking I noticed that it was in fact a failure :shock: The cable had pulled through the 'collar' that seals around the fuel filler pipe. It wasn't the first failure as closer inspection showed it to have been glued previously.

I've called Norton's who can only supply a complete cable set for £69 (£97 installed!) Whilst this isn't (that) expensive, it's frustrating as its only the outer end sheath of the cable thats damaged - the locating flanges have snapped off.

Q: has anyone had a similar failure and found a suitable solution to remedy other than buy the new cable?
Q: how difficult a job is it to replace the whole cable if this is the only fix?

Thanx in advance

AR
03-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Sorry to hear that Paul, can't you reglue it?

simonprelude
03-01-2007, 06:01 PM
It 'should' be an easy job if Honda are only charging half an hours labour, however, if they are only charging half an hour I would let them do it.

What F1's are you running, as I am not happy with mine.
Up a width on the front and standard size rear GSD3 all around.

Senninha
03-01-2007, 06:20 PM
What F1's are you running, as I am not happy with mine.
Up a width on the front and standard size rear GSD3 all around.

I'm on 215/40 ZR17 front and 255/40 ZR17 rear GSD3 ...... so basically OEM fitment for the 02 rims.

Did you manage to match the tread patterns f2r? IIRC Matt has a mix whereas Luke has matched. I believe both are happy so silly question, but are you sure you have OEM pressure since the refurb? Even though I've gone up diameter at front, I'm still running OEM pressures for the model year.

Have been out in lots of heavy rain of late and only the very worst of standing water gets a twitch at the front, otherwise I have a lot of confidence in the F1's.

HTH

Paul

Nick Graves
03-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Can't you rough it with glasspaper & re-bond it with one of the plastic repair kits (thick cyano-acetate glue & a reactor coat) that they sell in Halfords?

It's held an HR-V door handle in a Civic VTi hatch trim for 7 years now, without trouble.

Senninha
03-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Can't you rough it with glasspaper & re-bond it with one of the plastic repair kits

Thanx Nick,

I've got a bit of time 2mrow so will see what can be done (that will also not look like a bodge) and report back.

Cheers

Paul

Senninha
04-01-2007, 05:11 PM
All now appears to be good having spent a couple of hours 'fiddling' earlier today.

Most difficult job was getting the screws home due to the restricted working area.

As may be clear form the photo's, the securing lugs had snapped away. After a quick filing to finish the cable housing flush with the trim, a couple of pilots holes where drilled allowing the whole unit to be re-assembled securely.

Next time I have some black paint open I'll touch in the screw heads for an almost invisble repair.

regards

Lankstarr
04-01-2007, 05:21 PM
YOU BODGER!!!!!

Only joking, nice work mate.

You could get some little black screws to replace those nasty silver ones if you think it will look better :D

L*

AR
04-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Excellent job Paul.

Is all about thinking outside the box.

Well done mate, in the mean time a black permanet felt tip pen will do a great job quickly.

Cheers,

AR

Nick Graves
04-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm sure Spoon Sports do some anodised blue ones for £15.00. Each, probably.

Bit of flat black will do the job fine.

Nice one,

WhyOne?
04-01-2007, 09:10 PM
..... black permanet felt tip pen .....

Nice work Paul!

And I am pleased to see permenant black marker pens mentioned! I thought I was the only one to use them for car fettling - they are very effective at covering small leather / trim marks!

Senninha
04-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Thanx Guys, not bad for a 'Bodge' job;) Actually quite satisfying to complete the job without resorting to the dealer.

regards

Paul

AR
04-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Nice work Paul!

And I am pleased to see permenant black marker pens mentioned! I thought I was the only one to use them for car fettling - they are very effective at covering small leather / trim marks!

Same as shoe dye and shoe polish, it does wonders for black leather LOL.

Cheers,

AR