PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning engine bay???

AR
03-01-2007, 01:17 PM
How do you do it?

With my Amazons I just use a soft bristle brush with some traffic film remover then hose with a free running hose ( no nozle ).

With the NSXs I have just used a wet rag with some detergent.

Cheers,

AR

Lankstarr
03-01-2007, 01:33 PM
SHOCK HORROR I know but whilst I was at Norton Way having mine serviced they were pressure blasting an engine compartment of an NSX that had just been serviced. I couldn't believe it! Havn't had the balls to pressure wash my engine bay but would like to know if it is really ok.

I think that the NSX belonged to someone on here - it was back in June and was a red NSX with very loud exhaust, induction kit with filter exposed, aftermarket stereo with carbon fibre surround. that's about all I remember. If someone's on here then is it still runnig OK!?

Luke

AR
03-01-2007, 01:44 PM
The coil packs, alternator and fuse block would be the points that would worry me.

Senninha
03-01-2007, 02:13 PM
SHOCK HORROR I know but whilst I was at Norton Way having mine serviced they were pressure blasting an engine compartment of an NSX that had just been serviced. I couldn't believe it!
I think that the NSX belonged to someone on here - it was back in June and was a red NSX with very loud exhaust, induction kit with filter exposed, aftermarket stereo with carbon fibre surround. that's about all I remember. If someone's on here then is it still runnig OK!?

Luke

Sounds like GreyBlokes NSX .....

Senninha
03-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I gave mine a quick clean a few months ago.

Fairly simple process
1- warm engine but not to full temperature
2- cover alternator /fuse box / other electrics with kitchen foil (moulds easily to shape)
3- apply with spray bottle your chosen engine cleaner - I used Gunk
4- work into engine bay with soft brush - I used 2" paintbrush
5- rinse engine - I would NOT pressure wash or jet directly at any parts
6- dry excess with towel

Start engine and re-warm to dry off excess water. I believe you can at this stage 'dress' the engine but I haven't. DO NOT use WD40 or similar to do this as these are flammable materials.

Depending on the level of dirt to your engine bay, the whole process should only take an hour.

HTH

Regards

WhyOne?
03-01-2007, 02:39 PM
I gave mine a quick clean a few months ago.

Fairly simple process
1- warm engine but not to full temperature
2- cover alternator /fuse box / other electrics with kitchen foil (moulds easily to shape)
3- apply with spray bottle your chosen engine cleaner - I used Gunk
4- work into engine bay with soft brush - I used 2" paintbrush
5- rinse engine - I would NOT pressure wash or jet directly at any parts
6- dry excess with towel

Start engine and re-warm to dry off excess water. I believe you can at this stage 'dress' the engine but I haven't. DO NOT use WD40 or similar to do this as these are flammable materials.

This process works for me, though I must say the NSX engine bay is particularly difficult to clean - lots of distant, heard to reach nooks and crannies!

The S2000 was much easier.

I have always been tempted to spray some sort of dressing onto the engine after cleaning as I have seen some impressive photo's of 'dressed' engines - nice black rubber bits! - but have never been brave enough to give it a go. Can anyone recommend a foolproof engine dressing spray????

Greybloke
03-01-2007, 11:14 PM
SHOCK HORROR I know but whilst I was at Norton Way having mine serviced they were pressure blasting an engine compartment of an NSX that had just been serviced. I couldn't believe it! Havn't had the balls to pressure wash my engine bay but would like to know if it is really ok.

Luke

Yep8-) mine. It was in for a small oil leak from the sump gasket. I wasn't aware they had washed the engine bay (it was always quite clean anyway) but guess they were cleaning the block to check the soundness of the new gasket? Anyway running fine.

markc
03-01-2007, 11:33 PM
This seems to work well... http://www.1017.org/nsx/Enginetrick/EngineTrick.htm

Mark

AR
03-01-2007, 11:55 PM
This seems to work well... http://www.1017.org/nsx/Enginetrick/EngineTrick.htm

Mark

Mark that is very similar to how I clean the Amazons, but would you do your NSX that way?

Cheers,

AR

markc
04-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I did this when I first go the car and did no harm. As WhyOne pointed out if you want to get all the nooks and crannies cleaned it's probably the only way.
Straight running water from a hose seems to be the method used by most people and shouldn't do any harm if you do go mad excessively soaking the electrical stuff. You need be careful of the hose rubbing on the paint work on the wings though!

I've also tried to superficially clean and dress the top of the engine bay with "Back to Black" or something similar a couple of times. Doesn't last long before getting dusty but looks great straight after.

Cheers

Mark

AR
04-01-2007, 12:37 PM
I did this when I first go the car and did no harm. As WhyOne pointed out if you want to get all the nooks and crannies cleaned it's probably the only way.
Straight running water from a hose seems to be the method used by most people and shouldn't do any harm if you do go mad excessively soaking the electrical stuff. You need be careful of the hose rubbing on the paint work on the wings though!

I've also tried to superficially clean and dress the top of the engine bay with "Back to Black" or something similar a couple of times. Doesn't last long before getting dusty but looks great straight after.

Cheers

Mark

Cheers Mark, I will give it a go soon, we have a burden with the mesh engine cover.:)

Senninha
04-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Cheers Mark, I will give it a go soon, we have a burden with the mesh engine cover.:)

Happy to take away that burden if its causing you problems ;) :D