PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade

nigel
13-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm installing S/S brake lines and slotted rotors. I recall reading somewhere to remove the brake cooling deflectors. Is that true? Is it better to run NO deflectors, than the factory ones?

Cheers

nigel

sportyking
13-12-2006, 08:31 PM
It's not the air deflectors that some advise you to remove but the large metal splash shields on the inside of the disc. With those off much more air gets to the discs.

There are plenty of threads covering this here and on Prime, in particular Darren has covered the mods available with piccies somewhere on the forum.

If you remove the air deflectors you really need to replace them with something better, ranging from the Dali larger aluminium deflectors to carbon fibre ducting.

I fitted the Dali aluminium deflectors with SS lines, ATE Blue brake fluid, splash shields removed and uprated pads in preparation for my one and only ring trip in the NSX. I was warned before going brakes would be the standard cars weakness, but with the above done I had no problems at all.

back to work

Senninha
13-12-2006, 11:44 PM
I'm doing a similar upgrade and was wondering about the splash guards.

Surely they do serve some benefits, otherwise why did Honda add them after having spent so long reducing the weight of the NSX??

sportyking
14-12-2006, 12:13 AM
I can only imagine maybe they keep water /crud/ grit away from the discs maintaining a more predictable braking force in very wet conditions, but it's just a guess. i suppose they could also help stop the grit squeezing its way between disc and pad preventing that initial "rough feeling" you can get (often felt with rusty discs) and maybe reducing additional pad/disc wear that such contaminents could cause.

It's all guesswork, and usually father Honda knows best, but I reckon Ayrton would have had his spanners out soon enough.

Most road based cars come with them but you don't see them on race machinery!!!!!

simonprelude
14-12-2006, 09:33 AM
If you look through the posts in Darren's section then I think there is more information.

simonprelude
14-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Just looked and although both Darren and Kevin agree to removing the splash guards there are no more further details :(

If you look through the posts in Darren's section then I think there is more information.

sportyking
14-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Jack car, remove wheel, unbolt caliper bracket from stub axle and tie back whole assembly somewhere (do not break into hydraulics).
Remove disc for better access, ABS sensor either needs removing or care taken, can't remember which but always worth checking and cleaning while in there.
Remove the four nuts that secure the stub axle to the car (appreciate how little really holds the wheel on). The splash guard is sandwiched in the stub axle fitting. There may allso be one or two additional tiny screws in the splash guards, again cant remember
Whyone (Ian) may be able to tell you as he has all the original parts in a plastic bag, he may also be able to tell you if it makes any difference to daily driving if his guards have not been re-fitted. When replacing the stub axle make sure the mating faces are still clean and corrosion free as it must go on flat. You need the torque settings for the stub axle bolts and a decent torque wrench/spanner that will fit. I was in a mates workshop so I had access to his stuff.

I was doing other stuff at the same time but it is an obvious process when you look at the suspension assembly. it is so easy I did it!!!

nigel
14-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks all, I appreciate the input. I wasn't clear in my initial descricption, I did mean to refer to the splash gaurds removal. Here in S/W Florida the roads are exceptionally hot in the summer months. I don't drive my car in the rain,(windscreen wipers removed for astetic reasons) unless caught out in it by accident, I don't think excess water from the roads will be a factor. I would like to get maximum cooling avialable without spending unnecessary money.

Cheers
nigel

ctrlaltdelboy
14-12-2006, 07:01 PM
the splash guards protect the discs from attacks from water, grit, stones etc - the kind of stuff which you drive through regularly on the road but rarely on the track.

as Honda sells (sold) the NSX to it's customers as a road car and with warranty, it certainly makes sense to protect the discs from damage by having them in place, and for road use there's really no downside to them.

however, if you are tracking the car in lengthy sessions you do generate a lot of heat in the brakes which deteriorate their performance, and the presence of the splash guards traps in the heat further compounding the situation.

this is why you might choose to remove them, or choose to retain them - all depends on what you use the car for.

hope that helps.

for extreme cooling on standard brakes check this thread http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=501