PDA

View Full Version : Condensation across rear cluster lighting

sharkey
09-12-2006, 11:44 AM
Can anyone advise how I can get rid of the condensation on the inside of the rear cluster lighting. I have previously seen info on the site before but cant seem to find it. Steve.

AR
09-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Remove them and drill a few 3mm holes through the outer plastic.

Other than that just live with it as it is an NSX "feature".

Avoid Jet washing your car and do not let water pool there.

Cheers,

AR

Lankstarr
09-12-2006, 02:37 PM
You can also remove the lights and reseal around the sponge bits - this is where the water gets in.

As a easier fix get some silica gel and stuff it between the lights and the boot carpet - this should help absorb the condensation:D

Cheers

L*

jaytip
09-12-2006, 03:13 PM
Remove them and drill a few 3mm holes through the outer plastic.

Other than that just live with it as it is an NSX "feature".

Avoid Jet washing your car and do not let water pool there.

Cheers,

AR
What i did(or rather my mate did) was remove them and drill the holes on the INSIDE of the lights,not the lense(sp?) that way it is never going to be seen unless the lights are stripped out.

AR
09-12-2006, 05:58 PM
What i did(or rather my mate did) was remove them and drill the holes on the INSIDE of the lights,not the lense(sp?) that way it is never going to be seen unless the lights are stripped out.

I left the bit about drilling underneath the lights out, of course if one were lazy enough to drill on the outside what would be the point in removing them.:)

Cheers,

AR

britlude
10-12-2006, 11:36 AM
i took my lights off, and drilled holes upwards from the bottom, so the hole ends between the coloured centre plastic, and the clear outer. In theory this area should be sealed, but gets the condensation! (the coloured plastic is vented on the bulb side anyway) The cause is the foam seal, which starts off 10mm thick but 'sets' in the squished shape, so doesn't react to changing temp, etc, so the seal is lost! so really new/replacement seals is the way to go.
the condensation can be removed with careful use of a hot air gun, and patience!
hope that helps!

kowalski
10-12-2006, 12:01 PM
I have tried virtually everything on mine, even to the extent of buying new lights only for them to fog up again. Currently have holes drilled in one of the new ones. The cause is as mentioned above, the foam seals behind the lights losing there shape with age. Buying new ones or sealing the old foam seals edges with silicon sealer will prevent this happening. Its not too big a job to remove the lights.

leigh