PDA

View Full Version : Pop-up light probs

mutley
07-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Does anyone have any problems, have repaired or has any knowledge of problems with the pop-up headlights, the problems I've been having with mine are getting worse. I am guessing that it's probably relays are dying a death and need replaced, but I'm just guessing.

At first they would both go up, but only one would go down, then that became intermittent, and now one stays up, the other will go down but not back up again, so I have to keep them up to prevent having to wind them up and down manually all the time.

Also I notice that they don't seem very secure at night, the reflection on road signs look like they are flickering but this is due to them slightly bouncing up and down with the bumps in the road.

Could the motors be at fault too?

Anybody any ideas?

Cheers again
Jim

Senninha
07-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Hi Jim,

Maybe an obvious thought, but have you tried cleaning the electrical connections and applying something like WD40 to the moving parts??

HTH

Paul

mutley
07-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Yeah at some point i'll probably strip them down and try all that. I have tried swappine the relays round but that didn't do much and even with the lights up, the little dash warning light comes on.

I'll add it onto my To-Do list.

Cheers

Jim

gsuds
08-12-2006, 12:00 PM
Also I notice that they don't seem very secure at night, the reflection on road signs look like they are flickering but this is due to them slightly bouncing up and down with the bumps in the road.

Could the motors be at fault too?

Anybody any ideas?

Cheers again
Jim

Mine flicker too - mostly the RH one. Not really a big problem.
Graham

Steveycaz
08-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Yup! Mine too. Pop-ups do often flicker. I'm a bit reluctant to tighten mine in case the extra strain caused problems with the motor.

blue5
08-12-2006, 02:10 PM
you might find that the rods which operate the pop ups have worn bushes. That will cause the fiicker as the pods will wobble as the car bumps along.

You could also examine the rods for smooth operation which might cause one to react before the other.

Let us know what progress you make

mutley
10-12-2006, 12:19 AM
AHH that puts my mind to reat a little, nice to know that I'm not the oly one with the "flicker" problem.

But as I said earler, it's not high on my priority list but I will try and solve it at some point. If I find a good solution I'll let you guys know.

Cheers

Jim