PDA

View Full Version : Flat tyre

NSX 2000
04-12-2006, 12:06 AM
Had a meeting in Slough on Friday morning, so decided to go in the NSX. What a bad move this turned out to be, :( .
As I was going along the A22 Caterham bypass down to the Road to hell (M25) I went over a cats eye and got a masive thud from the drivers side front wheel, thought that sounds bad so pulled over as soon as I could, get out the car and its a flat tyre! Weather is crap and now I'm going to be late! So as I know that there is a shell about 1/2 a mile down the road I thought I'll chance it and go and blow it up. Get to the shell and blow up the tire, seems OK, but i think after reading all the threads on here better not trust it and go to a garage and get it checked. So end up at Kwick Fit in Caterham. Say to the guy behind the counter hope they are as good as the advert and can he help. He says give me a minute and I'll be with you, he comes out, I tell him the story, and he takes the wheel off and we cheeck it, and sure enough a nail smack bang in the middle! He recons it's repairable but will need to take it off the alloy wheel and check the condition of the inside of the side wall, bad news I've shoot the side wall so will need a new tyre, of course they don't have any, so he fits the spare for me instead, this all took about 10 to 15 minutes, I ask how much do I owe him? He replies nothing, I said I most owe you something, and again he said no, and sorry he couldn't help!
So off I drive to Slough on the road to hell with the spare on. This means 50mph stuck on the insde lane, with 40 tonners passing me like I'm standing still, not a nice!
Anyway, I get somebody from the office to phone around tyre fitters in slough to see if anybody has a Goodyear Eagle F1 to fit my drivers side front wheel and guess what, yes they do! Slough tyres has one and can supply and fit for only£87 all in!
So after my meeting drive over there and get my self a new tyre.
So very pissed off that I got nail but S h 1 t happens, but very pleased with the service at Kwik Fit, and a very good price for a new tyre from slough tyres!

Minch
04-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Hmmm . . . you've made me think again about putting my spare back in the car!

simonprelude
04-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Tyre weld is your friend :)

Senninha
05-12-2006, 12:43 AM
Hmmm . . . you've made me think again about putting my spare back in the car!

Why on earth would you take it out in the first place?? If you're trying to save weight Nathan, it should be off the back end not the front. Reducing front end weight will reduce grip/turn in and invite understeer - even more so with your lower/stiffer ride height.

So, first thing in the morning, pop that spare back where it belongs and enjoy the difference at the front ;) .

Paul, pleased you got sorted and without any damage to the rim or the NSX.

Regards

Paul