PDA

View Full Version : cam belt change

cas
24-11-2006, 06:28 PM
Hi

When you reach 60K miles and need a cam belt change you might find the following information useful.

My nsx is a 95 NSX-T when I and I went to Honda they quoted £900 for a cam belt change. I asked them what they would do and they said "we will change the cam belt only!"

Nsxprime and the service manual recommend that: you change the all the belts, valve seals, adjust the value clearances and REPLACE the water pump.

So where is the problem? Replacing the water pump is the problem! When you come to changing the water pump be aware that the original is nolonger available and if you car is 1995 or before you will need the new water pump and the engine lower side cover.

Honda because of the price of parts don't even offer a proper job! they replace only the cam belt and hope for the best.

"B*******" I said "I will get the kit from Dali if you will fit it!" they would and they did.

I would recomend that if you are going to keep the you should consider doing the whole lot.

Papalazarou
24-11-2006, 06:46 PM
We were discussing this topic a while ago under 'NSX dealers'

http://nsxcb.co.uk/testvb/showthread.php?t=1793&highlight=belt

Hope this is helpful. Normally, you shouldn't really pay more that low $400's for a cambelt service on its own but as you pointed out it's often a good idea to get the water pump done (if the car's done 50+k miles) at the same time because it takes all of 45 minutes of the same labour.
Obviously the other part of the service would be extra. I bought my water pump from Dali for around £125.00. Honda dealers will fit it but bitch about warranty.

Cheers,

James.

AR
24-11-2006, 07:01 PM
I would find another dealer. The water pump needs to be inspected, and if found defective replace it. It is also a good idea to have the valve clearances inspected and adjusted if needed.

Cheers,

AR