PDA

View Full Version : ... the other OLU ...

CrazyMixedUpKid
15-11-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi all,

Been an NSX owner and NSXCB member for the last 6.5 years (back when it was just a Yahoo distrib list with only 20 members!). Met a few of you at Castle Coombe way back.
Mine is the other 3.2 ex-Honda press car - but a Pearl Grey T with 'red' leather (not many of those!) - its my daily driver. Drove as stock for 6 years but seem to have gone a bit mad in the last 6 months with some mods - my goal was to keep it looking as 'stock' as possible - but to give it a just bit more 'attitude'.

- Bilstein shocks with Dali coil overs (custom height)
- Eibach springs (ran with Zanardi springs for a while - handled great but just too firm for my liking for daily driving)
- '02 rear valance and tips
- Zanardi anti-rolls front and rear
- Dali 'stealth' Apexi air filter
- remounted front number plate
- Work XT7 wheels (17 and 18) with Bridgestone Potenza RE050As

AR
15-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Very nicely done. If you do not mind me asking, how much was the whole valance deal ( paint and parts )?

Cheers,

AR

CrazyMixedUpKid
15-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Hi AR,

Well rear valance was a mixed bag.

Got it from Dirk in Germany - if anyone has gone down the road of investigating the valance like me you'll know there is a US and Euro version - for the plate sizes.

Good news is you CAN buy a US valance (no need for a bumper) and cut it to fit - thats what mine is - cut to fit by Dirk - he did a perfect job.

He charged 680 Euro plus about 80 shipping - that was 6 months ago - don't know if he's still doing them - best contact him
Painting was done by my local coach works - £100 cash.
Fitting was done by Plans Motorsports - approx 3 hours (about £160 I think).
Mounting 'kit' got from Escondido Acura (the guy who supplies Dali) in the US

The tips were a stroke of luck - bought off e-bay in the US for £50 for both! You don't want to know how much they are from Honda! These had to be 'custom' fit by me as - I only found out when going to put them on - they increased the pipe bore size by 5mm on the 2002 model! ... so watch out if you go down this route!!

TheQuietOne
15-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks for breaking cover with some pics...looks lovely, and you've done all the things I would!

Must be a record though 6+ years of ownership, and 5 posts ;):D

AR
15-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Cheers for the info, is one of the mods that keep taunting me. I like the OEM look of it and the lowered stance.

AR

markc
15-11-2006, 05:15 PM
Hi Paul,

I've seen you and P26 a couple of times this summer (nr Staines/Heathrow) but you weren't wearing those wheels at the time. Car looked great even then on the lowered suspension and even better now :-)

Unfortunately I was in my "beater" and not the NSX on each occassion.

On nice clear days keep and eye out for N5 XSR, an Imola Orange NSX TypeS, in the above vacinity.

Cheers

Mark

simonprelude
15-11-2006, 05:46 PM
Look VERY nice :) Loving the interior.

Well if you fancy P26 and P27 reuniting one day then let me know, they are not too far apart geographically.

Do you have the magazine photo's of your car, I keep finding some very small examples in various magazines from circa 1997.

mutley
15-11-2006, 05:48 PM
I LOVE that red interior. My car is silver with all black interior, and although it is is fairly good condition for a '92, I think that all black is a wee bit too much. Seriously thinking ao a retrim someday

Steveycaz
16-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Look VERY nice :) Loving the interior.

Well if you fancy P26 and P27 reuniting one day then let me know, they are not too far apart geographically.

Do you have the magazine photo's of your car, I keep finding some very small examples in various magazines from circa 1997.

I see P27 OLU in promotional pics all the time! Is this your IOP Simon? Do you get royalties?:D

simonprelude
16-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Yes it's mine.

Royalties, no I'm afraid :( But the joy of seeing it in magazines etc is enough for me.
Oh and on 5th Gear website and.......... :)

I see P27 OLU in promotional pics all the time! Is this your IOP Simon? Do you get royalties?:D

kowalski
16-11-2006, 09:19 PM
I just ordered a rear valance at the weekend from Dirk so will be going down the same route! The older valance doesnt look as good with round tips, Will probably do the fit myself. The Red interior looks good, was going to retrim mine in red before i bought the tan interior i have now.

Leigh

Senninha
23-11-2006, 11:06 AM
Hi Paul,

Car looks great and the OEM look suits the car well. I've often seen you about the Slough area but I've not been in my Magnum Grey NSX to acknowledge you.

Rear valance is on my 'to do' list and is now a 'must do' having seen yours!

Hope to see the 2 Magnum's 2gether one day.

regards

Paul

markc
29-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Hi Paul,

Can I ask how you re-mounted the front number plate? Looks really good.

I have the JDM narrower version which IMO looks even worse that the UK/Euro one and have been looking for better solution.

Cheers

Mark

AR
30-11-2006, 03:45 AM
Mark,

Here is what I did:

I got the Halfords brackets, enlarged the hole to fit the NSX number plate bracket hole, bent it to the right angle. Peel off sticky tape included and attached a shortened number plate.

I think they are £ 2.00. The are wedge shape and yellowish alloy.

Cheers,

AR

TheQuietOne
30-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Any pics AR, sounds interesting....??

markc
30-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Thanks Ary,

In the pics of your car the plate look a little higher and further forward. I guess I could play with the Halfords brackets to move it down and back bit?

So did you completely remove the original plastic Honda bracket? OR do the Halfords one bolt to it rather than the car itself?

It'll probably be obvious when I actually find and see the Halfords brackets but thought I'd ask anyway.

Cheers

Mark

CrazyMixedUpKid
30-11-2006, 03:11 PM
I totally removed the 'plinth' off the front - always amazed me they stuck a 'shoe box' on the beautifully sculpted nose!

I made my own brackets from some sheet aluminium I had - 2 of them - each effectively an inch wide strip bent down at either end .... took some time to get the lengths and bends right as I didn't just want it lower - I wanted it set back and angled slightly to match the nose.

The bottom of the plate sits snug up against the horizontal "mid-section" (with adhesive padding behind the plate of course) for extra support.

I also made it so it aligned to the existing bolt holes the plinth used - so I used the OEM bolts to secure it. Took me a few attempts to get it right mind!