PDA

View Full Version : Self unlocking car?

trackdemon
03-08-2004, 01:20 PM
:x I'm positive that I don't forget to lock my car, and I've gone to open the car up and drive off only to find that the bl00dy thing is already unlocked!! Has anyone else seen these symptoms? I'm sure if I lived in a less salubrious area it'd be gone (or at least the contents would be).
Any ideas? Suggestions welcome....

DamianW
03-08-2004, 01:47 PM
:x I'm positive that I don't forget to lock my car, and I've gone to open the car up and drive off only to find that the bl00dy thing is already unlocked!! Has anyone else seen these symptoms? I'm sure if I lived in a less salubrious area it'd be gone (or at least the contents would be).
Any ideas? Suggestions welcome....

I find I can unlock the car when I put the keys in my pocket ... the button on the remote plipper is so sensitive that some change or other keys will manage to unlock the car as I'm walking away. Never had this with any other car. Usually the alarm will then go off after the car has re-locked itself (no idea why).

Highside
03-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Yes, I too have had this problem (spookey isn't it?), and have now found the source after a month of searching.

On my car it was down to the drivers side door solinoid wich has a dodgy contact on one of the switches (there are five on early, non-remote locking cars).

Sadly, these switches are not available individualy, so you have to buy the whole solonoid pack.

Even more sad is the price - 290 quid!

It is actualy cheeper to have a full Cat one alarm fitted by a dealer (approx. 200 quid), and bypass this switch entirely.

I haven't done this yet (a matter of time really), so I have just pulled out the 20A fuse for the central locking, and just manualy open all the doors. This isn't too much of a problem, just inconvenient, and the alarm still works fine as it is.

Hope this helps - if you need any more info, drop me a PM.

Cheers

Rob