PDA

View Full Version : top gear 1/8/04

jaytip
01-08-2004, 09:39 PM
anyone see top gear tonight?
i was very pleased to see the NSX come second in the drag race.to be honest i thought it would have been last but one or even last considering the competition,
TVR350c
Porche 911
Corvette c5
i was quite amazed to see it fly of the line before any of the others.ithought the Porche with its grip due to being rear engined would have been the quickest of the line,and to see it come a long way last was a supprise as well.
thumbs up to the NSX :D

Welshman
02-08-2004, 08:05 AM
Yes, I sawe that and wasa bit surprised given the way lots of Yanks say the Corrvette will outhandle and outaccelerate the NSX. You should post that link on the NSXPrime board.

Welshman
02-08-2004, 08:13 AM
I also just checked the Corvette website. It's unclear whether the model they tested was the Z06, which is the top of the line model or the standard coupe. My guess is that it was the Z06 since they said it had 400bhp and the Z06 is quoted at 405bhp while the coupe is only rated at 350bhp. The Z06 is the one the yanks say will run rings around an NSX.

DamianW
02-08-2004, 08:29 AM
The Z06 is the one the yanks say will run rings around an NSX.

Only taken them 15 years to catch up then :wink: But cart spings for crying out loud! It might be fast but I'm afraid I find the idea of a Model T GTi less than appealing.

I was a little surprised they put the NSX in the line up, and was equally surprised when it launched itself fastest from the line and then came second. Have to say I had a little smug grin on my face :)

Welshman
02-08-2004, 09:03 AM
The spec sheet says it uses transverse leaf springs with fully independent suspension. I thought that went out with the Jowett Javelin and the early AC Cobras.

It's already been posted on NSXPrime and the Z06 websites - on the latter they're already muttering about underhand tactics :lol: :lol: :lol:

Highside
02-08-2004, 01:00 PM
Oddly, all of my friends with 911's claim that they wern't watching....

...convenient, no?

:wink:

jaytip
02-08-2004, 08:43 PM
well i had a huge grin on my face.My better half thought i had gone a bit mad when i jumped up off the sofa and punched the air.

jaytip
02-08-2004, 08:48 PM
Have to say I had a little smug grin on my face :)
well i had a huge grin on my face :D .My better half thought i had gone a little bit mad when i jumped up off the sofa and punched the air.

lharring
02-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Saw it as well :0)

Two things:

I'm sure they said that all the cars had approx the same bhp. Well its news to me that NSX's had 400bhp - and yet it still beat the corvette.

Secondly thats not the first time they've done that on Top Gear. Last series they had a drag race between a 'Rarri 360, 911 turbo, NSX, Corvette, that old Jag they had, and something else ( can't remember what now). And the NSX beat the Corvette that time as well. (Though not the 360 or the porka)

Liam

Nick Graves
05-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Saw it as well :0)

Two things:

I'm sure they said that all the cars had approx the same bhp. Well its news to me that NSX's had 400bhp - and yet it still beat the corvette.

Secondly thats not the first time they've done that on Top Gear. Last series they had a drag race between a 'Rarri 360, 911 turbo, NSX, Corvette, that old Jag they had, and something else ( can't remember what now). And the NSX beat the Corvette that time as well. (Though not the 360 or the porka)

Liam

It's actually power to weight ratio that's important. IIRC, all of these "modern" cars weigh around 1.8 - 1.9 tonnes. The "old fashioned" NSX is a mere 1.4 tonnes and as we know, its output is a fib.

So they're much closer matched.

I notice that TG did not bother to compare handling directly though! I suppose they didn't want the old stager to whip the new plastafantasitcar in EVERY department!

Kevin
05-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Though it wasn't that slow as shown here http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/powerlaps/index.shtml

Mike_L
05-08-2004, 09:50 PM
Though it wasn't that slow as shown here http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/powerlaps/index.shtml

Is my memory playing tricks or was it p...ing down when the NSX-R went round?

jaytip
06-08-2004, 03:09 AM
yes it was.In fact it was one of the wettest laps i have seen on top gear

Kevin
06-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Yes it was raining, even in the pic on the website it looks wet. So they say take 3-4 secs off the laps time.

jaytip
07-08-2004, 04:05 AM
Yes it was raining, even in the pic on the website it looks wet. So they say take 3-4 secs off the laps time.
which i think is a load of crap. the lamborghini murcialago(you know the one even if i cant spell it right :wink: )posted a time of 1min 29 sec on a track that was NOT as wet as when the NSX-R did its run,but then when they ran it again on a dry track it beat the zonda whith a time of 1min 22 sec or something like that.and this is a car that has four wheel drive so it would not have been handicaped as much in the wet as the rear wheel drive NSX-R.