PDA

View Full Version : But is THIS normal?

rkanaga
09-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Newbie question alert!

When I am accelerating (only above 4000rpm) I hear a 'click' from behind me (coming from the engine compartment obviously). There is one click when you put the power on, and another when you lift off. Doesn't happen if you rev the engine when stationary (the neighbours love me I'm sure!).

The power delivery feels fine, incredibly linear like it's meant to be (although I know peope rave about the sound changing when the VTEC kicks in, I must be bit deaf, because it doesn't sound that different to me, just louder and faster!)

Any ideas guys?

thanks

Robin

(PS I MAY have some news re OEM tyres in the next couple of days! Watch this space!)

(Also Hats off to Mark at Dali, new OEM hatch and trunk gas struts and clutch bearings delivered very promptly and MUCH cheaper than Honda UK even after shipping - Thanks Mark)

Minch
09-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Hmmm, not that normal, can't say mine makes that sound. However just been to Chiswick Honda who think they've sussed the noise that I get from the front of my NSX intermittently. They bled the brake fluid through to get rid of any air in the system but unfortunately it didn't work . . . arrrrghh! They did say however its definitely something to do with the ABS so I'm going to book it back in.

Regarding the VTEC noise, even with my new exhaust I can't hear the difference when the VTEC cuts in. Yes agreed the noise increases but you don't get the difference in tone you get with, for instance, an S2000.

Great car though!!!!

PS . . . keep me inform about the OEM tyres!

PPS . . . how much did Mark at Dali charge you for gas struts for boot and rear glass?

Cheers
Nathan

AR
09-11-2006, 12:55 PM
The only thing I can remotely think is that maybe some relay is telling the intake to open up more. Is it in the cabin or outside?

My NSX-R does not make a sudden transfer to V-tec, but there is the drop in oil pressure that let's you know that it is working and a definite change in tone.

Cheers,

AR

rkanaga
09-11-2006, 06:06 PM
$115 for the hatch (pair), $119 for the trunk (pair, with balls of course!) as per the website

postage was $46 but also included postage for some clutch bearings which are heavy

From Honda UK I think that the price was around £120 for each pair of struts (!)

Papalazarou
09-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Newbie question alert!

When I am accelerating (only above 4000rpm) I hear a 'click' from behind me (coming from the engine compartment obviously). There is one click when you put the power on, and another when you lift off. Doesn't happen if you rev the engine when stationary (the neighbours love me I'm sure!).

The power delivery feels fine, incredibly linear like it's meant to be (although I know peope rave about the sound changing when the VTEC kicks in, I must be bit deaf, because it doesn't sound that different to me, just louder and faster!)

Any ideas guys?

)

No it's not normal, it means you car's going to explode!!

(sorry I didn't have anything constructive to write, but wanted to be like the others and post anyway).

Cheers,

James.

simonprelude
09-11-2006, 07:48 PM
OK the clicking (well in the case of my car anyway) is the high pressure fuel relay, a loud click is fine according to Honda.

It is located behind the passenger seat.

Please let me know details on OEM tyres ASAP, I am in the market for buying.

NSXGB
09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
I think you should have a little look here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/noise.htm

rkanaga
09-11-2006, 10:02 PM
DOH! And I thought I had read everything on 'Prime!

So it is the normal sound of the fuel pump relay switching to high pressure mode above 4000rpm & moderate-high load. (engage warp drive Mr Scott!)

PS my wife thinks that I have finally lost all grip on reality when I starting sticking the new gas strut 'balls' in lumps of the kids playdoh in order to paint them!

whrdnsx
18-11-2006, 05:24 AM
High pressure fuel relay

jonathanolney
19-11-2006, 09:12 AM
The thread is wavering a little but wrt struts - get them regassed, I previously posted "I was quoted about £180 for a pr of glass hatch struts by my local dealer who would only allow a 5% discount. I have just had them regassed instead by http://www.sgs-engineering.com They are in Derby, charge was £45pr inc delivery & VAT with immediate turnaround - ask for Andy. They will also supply new units for about £100" They are still fine a year later,

John