PDA

View Full Version : nsx stereo/diff noises

colin myers
29-07-2004, 05:35 PM
I would like to replace the bose/honda system with a normal cd/radio
head and standard speakers
has anyone else done this?

When turning sharply but slowly (in a car park for instance) there is a grinding sound coming from the rear end.this sounds expensive!Has anyone else had this problem and what is it?

ctrlaltdelboy
29-07-2004, 07:40 PM
re: stereo options - spend some time reading the threads in this section (http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36) of NSX Prime - you'll find plenty of different ideas to think about

Highside
02-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi Colin,

Welcome to the forum. I am no expert on NSX transmission, so there may be some one more qualified to help you than me, but here are a couple of ideas as to what it might be:

[1] If it is more of a clicking noise, it could be the CV joint on the driveshaft. This is unlikely as this is more often a problem with FWD / 4WD cars, were the CV joint is under more stress when on full lock and transmitting power. As all the load is transmitted though a stright line down the driveshaft (well sort of), this is less likely, but not unheard of.

[2] If it is more of a grinding noise as you have described, it might be the diff itself. The most likely thing will be that the clutch plates have worn, and are dissenguageing to early. This can be checked by the following easy test (lifted shamelessly from the service manual you can download from NSXprime - http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991_svcman/1991_svcman.htm - see page 542 or 15-4):

[A] Lift up the RH RR Wheel

[B] Block up the other three so that they aren't free to rotate

[C] Now measure the preset torque (clockwise!) on the hub nut using a guage type torque-wrench. Basicaly this is the torque required to rotate the wheel against the force of the diff. The Assembly standard is 60 - 140 NM, but the service limit is 30NM.

[D] If the Torque you record is less than the service limit, then you need to replace the clutch plates.

Of course, there is a third option, which is that you have broken one of the clutch springs in the clutch pack - but I think this should be shown up in the same test, but the diff will be near locked (err - I think!), so you will see a torque of greater than 140NM. Either way, you will have to replace all the plates and springs.

I hope this helps, and if not, I hope that some one else on the list can sort you out better than I have!

Good luck, and let us know how you got on.

Cheers

Rob

Nick Graves
09-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Is it only on low speed turns?

It could be a worn/loose wheelbearing.

NSXGB
11-08-2004, 07:25 PM
....also, something that worked for me on another car I had years ago was to change the fluid in the diff for fresh stuff of the correct grade. Unles of course you have changed yours recently.