PDA

View Full Version : Knob...

NSXGB
23-10-2006, 09:04 AM
I've bought a Group N gear knob but upon fitting, it does not marry very well to the OEM leather gaiter due to the silver collar at the top.

My options are to butcher the OEM gaiter and remove the collar (if possible) and pinch the leather tighter below the knob (ouch) to make it look neater. (I'd rather not butcher the OEM gaiter)

Or I could remove the leather and make a new gaiter. Does anyone know where I can buy a small piece of leather? Or has Anyone got a spare gaiter kicking around?

Or I could buy the Dali mesh gaiter for $85?

Has anyone had the same dilemma, or has any bright ideas?

AR
23-10-2006, 10:05 AM
You can always remove the clip retainer and fold the to pf the shifter inside and it will look quite clean. You could also add a zip tie to secure it even more.

Cheers,

AR

NSXGB
23-10-2006, 12:23 PM
I have not looked at it closely yet, but does the clip retainer come off without butchering it, therefore be reversable?

thanks,

Simon.

DAVEMAT
23-10-2006, 01:38 PM
I had the same problem when i replaced my knob last time I was home, and didn't notice the clip, is it easy to remove???? (the clip that is, not my knob)

AR
23-10-2006, 01:57 PM
I am not sure on the design as I gave my old shiftboot away and my current car's one is of a different.

With regards to removing it I think that it is possibly reversible if done carefully. ( the clip not your knob )

Cheers,

AR

NSXGB
24-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Had a quick look today and removed the chromed plastic boot retainer without trashing it. Unfortunately it is not possible to pinch the gaiter tighter around the gear stick shaft as it would bunch up too much.

I'm going to a local breakers yard to see if I can find a leather gaiter I can utilise for my needs.

Failing that, does anyone know where I can buy a small amount of matching leather to make my own? Can you buy it from Honda?

AR
24-10-2006, 07:43 PM
I think someone was selling some Integra ones on prime retrofited to NSX shift boot holders.

Have you tried ebay?

Cheers,

AR

NSXGB
24-10-2006, 09:28 PM
Will take a look at both, cheers AR.