PDA

View Full Version : Road racing & topping out

modarr
09-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Just wanted to know whether any of you with higher final drives ever top out on track?

Reason being, I have the OS Gikken LSD and final drive on a wish list and wonder whether the reduced top end ever factors on track. Darren?

No posts of 186 mph road racers please, I do not condone road racing (halo lighting up).
But I did come to learn of some folks testing in-gear acceleration between a number of cars on the fabled private test track.or was it the Autobahn.

What comes to light is:

Evo IV (standard) is faster than a 3.2 NSX 6 speed in 2nd gear,
until the Evo revs out and the NSX steams past up to 8000rpm.
After that it pulls away comfortably but the Evo hangs in bravely at plus 100.

Evo IV and modified Saab 9-5 Aero.
Evo faster in 2nd, but dead heat in 3rd. The Saab matches the Evo all the way until
4th gear when the lower Evo gearing allows it to pull a few car lengths.

Best of all 3.0 5 speed (lightly breathed on) v 3.2 6 speed (standard)
Suprisingly little in it. From 1st there cars are virtually inseparable up to 100 plus.
The gearing of the 6 speed makes it a touch faster but the longer 2nd gear in the 5 speed allows it to make up the difference in 2nd whilst the other car hits third. Same would probably happen in 3rd given enough road.
2nd gear rolling start is the same AS LONG AS you start in the VTEC zone. At lower speed, the 6 speed gearing brings it on cam much earlier and the 5 speed stands no chance.
Relevant on track in tight corners. Probably best to stick the 5 speed in 1st in tight hairpins.

So, don't write off the 3.0 and watch out for stealth 9-5's

Rob_Fenn
09-10-2006, 10:36 PM
To be honest i wouldn't take much on in the NSX in a straightline, these days 280bhp is nothing really... On track it seems quick down the straights but you never know if people are throttling back!

Kevin
10-10-2006, 06:36 AM
I know what your saying. Though there are two ways to go, with either a lower final drive (not higher) or changing the gears to the 'shorties'.

Sometimes I think a lower 2nd would help in tight corners, like the one before the main straight at Bedford, but then for a lot of others 2nd is useful as it is high enough to be used, while other cars need 3rd.

What about a 6 speed gearbox in a 'lightly breathed on' 3.0l car?

I guess the Type R ratios are there for a reason. Maybe we need a go in AR's car to find out more.;)

modarr
10-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Hey Kevster,

Did you knock out 289bhp with your new headers and centre exit exhaust on?

The 6 speed option is a bit pricey, however as you say, 2nd is often too low geared. I find the hairpin at the very end of the Bedford straight the hardest to stay on cam.

I would certainly love a ride or race with AR's 'R'..............

After a 18 months off, I hope to start trackdays again. The RMA will be running a cheap Saturday on the 23rd December, although its not open for non-member booking yet. I hope to be there. Would be nice to see some of the old crew there.

MattS and I are about to rip off our shoes, roll up our trousers and get wet in fields 1 foot deep in water...............we're becoming Ricers. Hope to be fitting Dali's Rice Rocket Dual canister exhaust some time soon and my 3.2 headers.

Mo

MattS
11-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Mo,

I reckon you need a nice comfortable Saab (and I'll get you the beard and sandals for Christmas!)

Kevin
11-10-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi Mo,

It was 279bhp with the exhuast. The headers are still to go on.

I got an email about the RMA day too. As I remained a member I can go, however I can't make it as that day I'll be halfway to Switzerland for my annual snowboarding hols. (Yey! Big air!).

I've taken this year off from the track action as well as you know, got some work to do with the car over winter, so not sure when to get back into them. Going to be doing a full hose pipe replacement, suspension adjustment, maybe get a radiator made up and, I got an oil sandwich plate, so should start looking into making up that oil cooler system I've been dreaming of. Also the rear diffuser and bumper need making up too.

My guess is the car won't be on the track till late spring, but at least the garage is now finished for me to work in, pics to come soon.

I've put my name down for Detlef's NSX-R 6-speed gearbox.

modarr
11-10-2006, 09:47 PM
Hey Matt,

You gonna shave off your beard and hand it to me with your sandals then?

I always know when you turn up at work now. Sounds like a very muted WWII war plane has parked up.

Kevin,
I want one of everything you are going to make please. Damn, that gearbox sounds trick.
I'll just have to resort to 12" Minilites to up my gearing and create a ground effect.

Mo