PDA

View Full Version : NSX Acceleration

Lankstarr
04-10-2006, 04:24 PM
As a confused looking Mr Gallardo learned earlier today, all the way upto xxxmph :D and he's just spent £100k more than most of us :lol:

From Paul's lead I thought it may be nice to hear of cars that have been out accelerated by NSXs.

I shocked myself againsta Tamora last week off the lights - thought I was going to get eaten up but gained a few car lengths over bout a mile :D

Didn't do so well against a 911 Turbo but regularly eat up other varieties munch munch

I also know of Matt beating both an SL55 AMG and a DB9.

I don't regularly come up against anything that is worthy of a blip but it's nice to know who to look down to on the road!!!

L*

blue5
04-10-2006, 05:37 PM
My triumph tr6 race car used to eat my nsx up to 80 or so, but i can honestly say that was the only car that ever did, er not that i went out of my way looking for traffic light gp's

Paul
04-10-2006, 05:54 PM
I can testify to Boxsters and Subaru WRXs being munching material ... not being able to see the badge on the back of the Boxster as he never got past me I can't say if it was a Boxster S or not, but seeing how long he stayed close before giving up I suspect it might have been an S ... the non S variant doesn't really stay with the NSX for too long ... although you need a timid WRX Sti driver if you are to get the better of the larger rear winged Impreza ... :-D

I was hoping to play with a Lotus Exige one time ... but he carried on to the motorway when I was staying on the ring road to go home ... although I think I might have been trying to bite off more than I could chew with that one ... ;-)

Lankstarr
05-10-2006, 06:34 AM
As with a lot of cars like the Scooby Sti WRX abc 123 and Exige I think they have great acceleration up to 100 but after that the NSX destroys them, havn't had experience with an exige but there was this one time, at band camp, with a heavily modded Evo, from 100, that disappeared in my mirror...

Minch
05-10-2006, 06:38 AM
I would leave the Exige alone if I were you. Not only very good acceleration but awesome handling. I used to eat 911's for breakfast in a mere 135bhp Elise round the twistys, and of course the Exige is even better and more powerful . . . . think I've just talk myself into buying one!

Minch
05-10-2006, 06:40 AM
PS . . . avoid modded Supra's off the lights

Lankstarr
05-10-2006, 06:46 AM
If you race them far enough I'm sure they'll go bang eventually;)

Minch
05-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Spot on Luke, my mates Supra went pop on Sunday!

Paul
05-10-2006, 05:47 PM
I would leave the Exige alone if I were you. Not only very good acceleration but awesome handling. I used to eat 911's for breakfast in a mere 135bhp Elise round the twistys, and of course the Exige is even better and more powerful . . . . think I've just talk myself into buying one! Oh yes I knew I'd have been on to a loser ... but it was a dry day ... I'd been out for a while ... and I was in a good mood to have some fun ... I know I'd not have kept up for too long, unless traffic was in my favour ... but it would have been a fun ... and it would have been interesting to see what one was capable of at close quarters ... :-D

Lankstarr
17-10-2006, 01:04 PM
Spot on Luke, my mates Supra went pop on Sunday!

Who wins off the lights now? :lol:

Just had a close encounter with a CLK 500, it was surprisingly close up to 90... for a family car - not sure whether they are 306 bhp or more like 380, conflicting info on my searches but the 380 had a 0-60 of 5.3 which certainly seemed more realistic than the 306's claimed 6.0s.

trackdemon
27-10-2006, 09:24 AM
I would leave the Exige alone if I were you. Not only very good acceleration but awesome handling. I used to eat 911's for breakfast in a mere 135bhp Elise round the twistys, and of course the Exige is even better and more powerful . . . . think I've just talk myself into buying one!

I disagree. The NSX is palpably faster in every way in a straight line contest, and over British B roads there's less in it than you'd think. I've done hundreds of miles in an ExigeII and the power delivery is frustrating, and its not as tolerant of the typically scarred and cambered road surface - it has awesome grip and braking ability on smooth dry roads though! On a b-road blast a (ex-racer) friend of mine had to work very hard to keep in touch with the NSX.

DamianW
27-10-2006, 09:32 AM
I disagree. The NSX is palpably faster in every way in a straight line contest, and over British B roads there's less in it than you'd think. I've done hundreds of miles in an ExigeII and the power delivery is frustrating, and its not as tolerant of the typically scarred and cambered road surface - it has awesome grip and braking ability on smooth dry roads though! On a b-road blast a (ex-racer) friend of mine had to work very hard to keep in touch with the NSX.

Totally agree with you. I've had both S1 and S2 Elises (standard model, both). They're great cars, but grip and handling wise the NSX really competes, power wise it ought to be able to demolish anything short of an S1 160/190. Recent Elises are quite a bit heavier, and with the flat torque curve the NSX has I bet we could give the 190 Toyota model a run for its money.

Look at it this way, on paper there shouldn't be *that* much difference, 0-60, between an NSX and a bog standard Elise. The reality is totally different, my NSX feels like its in a different league, it takes off like someone has just spanked its arse.

Senninha
27-10-2006, 01:23 PM
NSX feels like its in a different league, it takes off like someone has just spanked its arse.

Very nicely put! IMO the key point is the real world road surface. As an ex Elise 135 owner I was amazed at the extra grip the Exige offered on track. However, on the road this was less apparent with the Elise for me proving the easier to drive quickly. And its this compliance added to the flat torque curve that enables the NSX to shine under these conditions.

On the Porsche comments, I would always leave the turbo or GT2/3 models alone (albeit that they rarely seem to want to play anyway) but all other 911's are well within the capability of a well driven NSX.

regards

AR
27-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Add a close ratio gearbox and a race LSD and you are flying!

blue5
28-10-2006, 08:36 AM
I visited bedford autodrome last sat with the elise and had several "tests of relative speed" with a gt3 and can report that over the sen circuit after 15 hard laps i had fallen less than 5 sec behind the gt3. There was another which had several mods and was up half a lap in the same period.

The moral is that the elise over a twisty circuit is probably untouchable but put a few long straights in place and power will win over handling.

If i relate that to the nsx then there are probably more powerful cars in a straight line, a situation i had noticed from about the year 2000, but put those same cars, usually sporting saloons. On a track and the nsx will leave them for dust with its superior cornering ability.

There is a track test of the elise v an nsx and the nsx won but only just and it was on a twisty circuit, if i had my trusty nsx on sat the view of the gt3 would be through my rear view mirror!

But the tyres would probably have melted!

trackdemon
28-10-2006, 05:09 PM
IMO track comparisons can't really be used, as the single biggest factor is the driver. I harrased a Noble for 5 laps of Bedford in our old Cooper S - does that mean the Cooper S in nearly as fast as a Noble? Of course it doesn't, it simply shows that I had more experience of the track and the Noble was being driven gingerly round the corners. A GT3 is significantly faster than an Elise on any circuit, if the drivers are of equal ability....

jaytip
28-10-2006, 06:08 PM
My mate has just bought a tommy makkinen evo,and he is always telling me how much faster his car is than mine.I would presume that he would have the edge on me up to about 100mph,but then i would start to pull back and overtake.Am i right in this thinking???

blue5
28-10-2006, 06:15 PM
Track demon has a valid point with which i agree, even my hero Damon would not have been able to beat a gt3, just as i didnt beat a gt3 in fact the quick gt3 was long gone as i mentioned.

On that basis the results of traffic light gp's, are also flawed. I certainly didnt mind the occasional wizz away from the lights against a porker or similar but the moment i reached the speed limit i backed off and often was a bit girly on the accelerator fearing for the clutch!

So i think TD has hit the nail squarely on the head, if i may paraphrase, a car has a finite acceleration figure, we do our best with what we have and sometimes we win sometimes we lose against greater or lesser competition.

By the way my comparason example which was in evo or track cars? showed that on a twisty circuit where handling counts the nsx was quicker than the elise, take the nsx to a circuit with long straights and it would be gone gone gone

And a final word, if you are thinking of selling your nsx,DONT DO IT!

modarr
28-10-2006, 08:31 PM
My mate has just bought a tommy makkinen evo,and he is always telling me how much faster his car is than mine.I would presume that he would have the edge on me up to about 100mph,but then i would start to pull back and overtake.Am i right in this thinking???

Probably. My Evo IV is quicker in 2nd than the NSX because of the boooost, then its NSX all the way. The newer cars accelerate faster by a few tenths. On track I've chased Evo's and bearing in mind the posts regarding driver ability etc, the 3.0L will keep up with EvoVIII FQ330's up the long straight at Bedford and catch it slowly through the corners.

Regarding the Elise, I raced a driver of similar ability in an S1. I new he was as least as good as I was judging by the slip angles he was achieving through the corners. Both cars were on road tyres. The NSX can match the Elise in the corners and achieve similar slip angles. Down the straights I was lifting off to allow him to catch up so that we could play catch-up through the corners. Both cars were taking very similar attitudes through corners so handling traits are probably very similar. Hats off to the Elise.

Papalazarou
30-10-2006, 09:41 AM

I have a 'friend' that raced an FQ320 modded to 400 ish and from 80 to 140 there was no difference, past that the EVO starts behaving like a brick and the NSX was faster.

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
03-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Took advantage of a little down time and the unusually good weather to take my toys out for a vtec to vtec challenge.

As you would expect, the VFR was quicker to 3 figures but from there to another 40mph, the NSX was holding station and then closing noticeably until we ran out of safe space.

When running in gear from around 45, there was a lot less in it. Clearly if the NSX is already rolling its going to take one of the lighter and big sports bikes to noticeably pull away.

From the bikes POV with Terry at the controls, he was able to hear the NSX (even when in front :) ) and commented how the pitch of the engine note was very similar albeit slightly lower from the NSX.

As an accomplished rider, he was able to hold similar cornering speeds on my driveway;) but the most noticeable difference was the braking ability, the NSX always able to brake a lot later.

With all that said, it had to be one of the best ways to spend a couple of hours on a sunny autumn afternoon :D

regards

modarr
03-11-2006, 12:40 AM
now you wouldn't be racing on the public roads now would?

naughty naughty

Senninha
03-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Who Sir? Me Sir? No Sir! I have a very long driveway ;)