PDA

View Full Version : Filling up the NSX

darkblueturbo
01-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Just a quick query... Not sure if this is me or not... When I fill her up if I just hold the trigger down until you get a click I get a little spurt of petrol spitting back out the top which I have to very quickly mop up.

Is it me or do "they all do that, sir"?

Any tips as to what I can do to help?

Also, I wait until the fuel gauge is really low before filling up, but still only get 50 litres in it to fill it up.Accordingtothe manual it's a 70 litre tank.
How late does the low fuel warning light wait before coming on?

Kevin
01-10-2006, 04:38 PM
They all do that sir, at least mine does.

I tend to hold the nozzle more upside down than I normally would, and slow down when getting near the end.

blue5
01-10-2006, 04:52 PM
What fuel warning light?

Paul
01-10-2006, 05:44 PM
I've always filled mine up when it's getting near the red marker ... I think when I've run it very low (for me that's on the red marker) and got just over 50litres in.

However, according to another user on here, there is a low petrol warning light (I've not been brave enough to see mine come on just yet) but apparently it is there and when it comes on you've got about 30 or 40 miles more before the engine will start coughing and spluttering. Waiting till the light comes on means that you can apparently get over 60 litres in when you next visit the petrol station ... although this will likely wary from car to car.

I must admit I'm a little nervous about keeping going till the light comes on ... apparently the needle is more or less below the empty mark before it comes on ... it's at this point that you've got about 30-40 miles left.

I'm not sure if I'll be putting it to the test ... but if I get hold of a spare petrol can from somewhere I might give it a try ... I've nearly always run previous cars dry and filled up from a spare can once ... just so I know where the 'true' empty point is on the petrol gauge.

So ... anyone got a spare petrol can that can be passed round to test out our gauges and see the little red warning light :?:

Paul
01-10-2006, 05:49 PM
Should have mentioned ... when I fill mine up I'll fill up with the trigger fully squeezed ... but as I get to within about 10 litres of what I think I'm going to be able to get in the tank I'll ease off the trigger a bit, then when I'm down to where I think there's about 5 litres left I'll ease off the trigger even more, this way I've always managed to avoid having petrol spurting out of the filler pipe and over the car.

I've been using this filling up method for years now, on all my cars, only if I'm in a hire car will I not worry about the spurting filler pipe problems that the majority of cars seem to have.

simonprelude
01-10-2006, 06:01 PM
I have had 50 motorway miles from mine on the fuel light, it's pretty advanced warning.

But yes, a littlr spray at the end when I am filling also :(

britlude
01-10-2006, 08:44 PM
the warning light is orange!!! and I had the same problem when I got mine, not brave enough to let it go down far enough!!! the needles on/ under the empty line!

WhyOne?
02-10-2006, 07:02 AM
OK, first of all my car is defective - I dont get a spray of petrol out of the filler hole at auto cut-out, even when filling at full chat to the end!

Recently circumstances (lack of Shell Optimax / V-thingy fuel) forced me to run longer than usual at the end of a tank of fuel - I ran for 50 odd miles with the warning light on and the needle progressed well south of the 'red' area of the guage!!!!!!!!!!! When I came to fill up, I managed to get just 56 litres into the tank - what's that all about then!!!!!!!!!!!!!

darkblueturbo
02-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Glad they all do that (apart from WhyOne? and his special filler!!).

I don't think I'll venture into the red too far...

I tested out the running dry on my CBR before - the only problem was it was raining and and I was on the M1 and didn't actually mean to do it :)
Nice man in a Rover stopped and gave me a jerry can full of super plus though, which was nice... Wouldn't even take any money for it!

Paul
02-10-2006, 05:08 PM
I tested out the running dry on my CBR before - the only problem was it was raining and and I was on the M1 and didn't actually mean to do it :)
Nice man in a Rover stopped and gave me a jerry can full of super plus though, which was nice... Wouldn't even take any money for it! Probably a biker of old ... apparently it is the done thing by the courteous biker ... I think a lot of bikers carry spare petrol in their cars will stop for other bikes on the hard shoulder and if it's petrol they will top you up and get you on your way ... the reason being if you're in your car and you spot a biker at the side of the road ... pull over and if he's in need to petrol ... take out your spare can and do the same for him ... kind of like an unwritten courtesy that many bikers follow.