PDA

View Full Version : Installing the high level spoiler mounted brake light

Kevin
08-07-2004, 06:32 AM
Anyway the brake lights are 'quite' easy to do - firstly you will need three parts (the part numbers are from the US Acura parts list, but if you cross reference them to the links shown, you will be able to spot the same parts when the UK dealer shows you the fiche and asks you to identify which bits you want).

1. Brake Light - 34270-SLO-A01

(see
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991-1992_parts_catalog/1-j11.jpg -
item 1)

2. Short interconnect cord - Dealer name 'CORD TAIL GATE, SU' - 32106-SLO-000 3. Longer interconnect cord. - Dealer Name 'CORD TAIL GATE' - 32109-SLO-000

(see http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Reference/1991-1992_parts_catalog/1-h6.jpg
- Items 5 and 8)

The 'wire' to connect the brake light actually comes in two parts
(32109-SLO-000) and (32106-SLO-000) and are about 60 and 45 pounds respectively.

I got my brake light from the USA, where it cost about £400 including shipping, but I didn't buy it from a dealer - I just bought it from one of the guys on NSXSC. The other parts are available from any Honda dealer - mine took a couple of days to turn up. You may be tempted to run your own wire from the engine compartment to the boot spoiler, but the honda parts do have the correct clips (to connect one piece to the damper on the LHS of the boot) and the oval grommets fitted in place so they're a perfect fit - well you should get something for £105, I guess.

So having got the parts, you will need a large flat bladed screwdriver, a soft cloth, a socket set, a thin piece of wire and philips screwdriver.

Open the boot and remove the dustcaps off the screws holding the 'dummy' in place. Then Unscrew the screws (there are 5 I think) and the dummy light should slot right out.

Then undo the bolts holding the spoiler to the boot lid but DO NOT remove them. In addition to the bolts, the spoiler is affixed to the boot with some very strong adhesive and when you break the seal on this adhesive your spoiler will slide all the way down the boot into the engine bay if you don't leave the nuts in place. Then wrap your flat bladed screwdriver in the soft cloth and attempt to prize the spoiler off the boot lid - you will need to be quite firm and brave to do this - the adhesive is very strong.
Having broken the seal you can remove the bolts and the spoiler will lift straight off.

Remove the two oval grommets from the LHS of the boot (the top one is on the outside of the boot, the bottom one is on the inside) and then you can start to fit the Longer tailgate cord. There is a spare connector floating around in the engine bay, almost underneath the black vent. Feed the connector for the cord under the vent (there is a cutout to help you work out where it goes) and plug in. Then take the thin piece of wire and feed it down the boot from the top hole to the bottom hole. Wrap this around the other end of the connector and then pull the connector back through the boot - this is much easier than trying to push a piece of wire up and getting it to come out of the hole at the end.

Feed the short cord through the spoiler from the brakelight hole to the matching oval opening on the bottom LHS of the Spoiler. Placing the spoiler over the boot you should then be able to join the two cables together, and then you can rebolt the spoiler onto the boot. Then you just connect the brake light to the other end of the short cord and screw it back in place.

Finally you need to clip the long cord to the boot damper and get the grommet for it in the hole and you should be done.

Cheers
Joe