PDA

View Full Version : Rattles exorsised!

WhyOne?
25-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Since I have had the car there has been a irritating churping noise (sounding a lot like a cricket) coming from somewhere in the vicinity of the glovebox. Over the last week or so this has been joined by a much louder and more irritating rattling sound coming from the same sort of area - this second noise motivated me to see what could be done to cure these problems.

I took off the piece of plastic trim (containing the plug for diagnostic equipment) under the glove box lid. This releases what I believe is called the glovebox undertray - a piece of hard black latticed plastic which encloses the glovebox. I immediately found what I assumed to be the sorce of my problems - 2 car 'blade' fuses had found there way onto the undertray (any small items storred in the glovebox could easily drop down into here - beware!!!) and were clearly just rattling around.

Most excellent.

Job done!

I screwed everything back together and went for a test drive - rattle gone!!!!

But..........'cricket' still in place.

Arse!!!

I took the undertray appart again, this time inserting a piece of neoprene (wet-suit material) between the undertray and the base of the glovebox. I then carfully sprayed silicone lubricant on all abutting trim pieces I could see / reach and reassembled once more.

A test drive confirmed that the 'cricket' was now dead!!!!

It is amazing how these two inconsequential issues had started to spoil my enjoyment of the car, and how eliminating them made my drive to work this morning (despite the horrid weather) so much more enjoyable!!!!

DTA-Motorsport
25-09-2006, 08:36 AM
Nice one! Well done for sorting these irritating problems out.

I too have a minor zoo in my car (not a NSX mind you but still ...) I've got a "bonnet cricket" and a "goose honk"! The bonnet cricket is just squeeking from the bonnet catch and can be cured using some white grease and the goose honk is caused by air passing back through the stock recirc valves when the car comes on boost (got a twin turbo 300ZX). Some call it endearing, I just think it's irritating. BTW I got rid of the goose honk by installing a much louder exhaust - now you can't hear it anymore LOL!

ATB

Dan