PDA

View Full Version : Nsx 5

rkanaga
20-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Hi, Neil has advertised his 1991 Red/ Black 3.0 manual 33K miles reg NSX 5. I am hoping to see it next week if possible, but does anyone have any background information on it? It was originally an Irish car with 2 previous owners and sounds pretty straight. I couldn't speak to Neil at any length on Monday as he was rushing to the airport but any further information before we meet up would be very useful.

Thanks.

(Neil I hope you don't mind me asking around for information, the guys on the forum do seem to have the info on many cars that are around though! I hope we can meet up soon so that I can see the car - regards - Robin)

simonprelude
20-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Only the usual stuff from the DVLA check

Manufacturer HONDA
Model NSX
Body type 2 DOOR SALOON
Colour RED
Fuel type PETROL
Date manufactured 31 December 1991
Number of previous owners 1
Last owner change 06 October 2005

kevinpsw
20-09-2006, 01:00 PM
I don't have personal knowledge of NSX 5 but I did make an exhaustive search over 9 months before buying my NSX earlier this year.

If the fsh is documented, if the clutch and cambelt are not the originals, if all the obvious checks that would apply to any secondhand car are passed and if the body work is in good order, this car looks very keenly priced. I have seen other cars of the same vintage with much higher mileage go for about this price.

7 months ago I would have been round like a shot to view the car with a deposit in my back pocket.

rkanaga
23-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the advice. I saw it and am considering it (thanks Neil). Can I just ask a couple of questions though as I am not an expert (yet!)

How closely fitted should the wheel arch/ undertray sheets be? They seem a bit loose to me, or are they all like that?

I would also probably want to get some panels resprayed (where there has been previous respray work and it is a bit orange peely and the wing needs straightening). How easy is it to get a body shop to replicate the original Honda (very high quality) paint finish? (I inderstand the finish is a solid base colour and then sanded flat before a clear coat is applied giving a mirror like finish?) I live near Plans Motorsport. Does anyone have experience of their body shop (and them in general in fact)?

Lastly does anyone have any information on the 1991 56,000 miler in West Byfleet? It sounds liek it has had 6 owners and has been standing for a while. If anyone knows anything that could save me a fruitless journey I would be grateful (the owner is not a website visitor so feel free to be candid!)

Many thanks

Robin

(PS the Caterham is all buffed up and ready for sale. Any takers?!)

Senninha
24-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Hi Robin,

I've not used Plans myself but know that Leigh (Kowalski) had some work earlier this year. Having seen his car post this work, you would be hard pushed to know it wasn't original.

Hope this helps

Regards

rkanaga
24-09-2006, 05:50 AM
Thanks. Also sorry one other question.

The biting point of the clutch pedal seems quite high (although it isn't slipping) Is that normal?

thanks again

simonprelude
24-09-2006, 06:21 PM
Wing straightening, ie mounting or because it's bent ??

Don't forget it's Aluminim.

rkanaga
24-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Well I'm not sure, the drivers wing and door have been resprayed and where the wing meets the sill in front of the door the panel is slightly twisted (i.e. it does line up with the sill properly). I've looked underneath and the sills etc look fine so I think (hope) it is just a matter of straightening the wing and respraying it. I'm waiting for the AA check to double check for any chassis damage, but I can't see any. Why, is aluminium hard to straighten?

PPS any comments on the biting point of the clutch pedal?

thanks

Robin

simonprelude
24-09-2006, 09:31 PM
The clutch bite is very different to a lot of cars, whilst doing about 30 mph, put the car in top gear and floor it, you will know if the clutch is going or not.

Aluminium instead of bending tends to stretch, not good to straighten out a bend or dent :(

TheQuietOne
25-09-2006, 06:23 PM
Clutch biting point is quite high, mine is a 2000 model with 39,000 miles on the clock, and the clutch biting point has been in the same high, slightly disconcerting place since I have had it with 13,500 miles on the clock.

Hope that helps, Matt.