PDA

View Full Version : Re-spray work required

Paul
19-09-2006, 01:50 PM
I had a very sad moment today ... whilst returning home I managed to bump into the rear of another motor ... all rather minor damage, cosmetic as opposed to needing replacement parts.

Needless to say if it had to go through the insurance I'd ultimately be the one at fault ... although had the person driving the other car known the highway code and when they could proceed (due to them having the right of way) the whole incident would have been avoided ... needless to say drivers in a couple of categories are now viewed with even poorer regard :x

But, when they claim they had to give way to the oncoming traffic ... although with the traffic at the other side of the narrow bridge already stationary (as they had to give way to us) this wasn't the case. So, the small move forward that they initially made (causing me to ease off the brakes) could have been continued and I wouldn't have had to return to full braking when (for no obvious, or required, reason) they decide to stop ... ARGH!

So, following all that very painful waffling, I'm now looking for a well recommended body shop that could re-spray my somewhat dishevelled front bumper.

A milk float had a very misfortunate incident two years ago when it reveresed into the front end of my NSX ... very painful for me and also painful for the milk company with a £3,500 bill for repairs! The repairs were carried out very well, including re-spray work, but the body shop is in Hemel Hempstead and I was hoping for somewhere a little closer.

Has anyone here had personal experience of re-spray work from somewhere that they would be happy to have carried out on something as prized as their own NSX :?:

I seem to recall someone here recommending another member of this site, but I can’t recall how it was worded to search for it, or which user it was.

Lankstarr
19-09-2006, 02:53 PM
Sorry to hear that Paul, lucky just the front bumper scrapy i suppose.

I don't know any one but wish you luck, I hope that the other people are kind enough to let you pay for their damages rather than to claim off of your insurance. Even if you need to put a brand new bumper on an S class merc it will probably work out cheaper for you to front the bill than to claim as your premiums on both cars will be sky rocketed for the next 5 years.

Good luck.

AR
19-09-2006, 02:55 PM
I've seen Pande's work on his car. Superb! I would not hesitate in letting him work on my NSX-R. He is in Leeds, that is the only thing, but well worth the travel.

AR
19-09-2006, 02:56 PM
BTW Sorry about the bump, but glad is not too bad.

TheQuietOne
19-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Really sorry to hear about the bump Paul. Maybe Darren might know someone a bit closer to home though?

You have to try and stay positive though (easy for me to say), at leats it didn't involve bent / creased aluminium!

Best Regards, Matt.

ctrlaltdelboy
19-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Paul

sorry to hear of your misfortune

I can highly recommend my 'regular' bodyshop in Southampton, they have worked on a number of cars for me always with perfect results.

details here (http://www.192.com/directory.cfm/SOUTHAMPTON/AUTOTEKK/X0A6A119F613E414FBAE678A331ABD6E0)

Tony runs the paintshop and can price the job up for you and the boss is called Joe.

if you need anything other than un-denting/paintwork you'll need to get Tom on the case too.

let them know we're acquainted and you'll be looked after.

alternatively, browse the Hampshire members of the VBRA (The Vehicle Builders & Repairers Association Ltd) here (http://www.vbra.co.uk/results.asp?county=Hampshire) for a bodyshop more local to you.

Paul
19-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the replies folks ... ah Pande, that was the user I saw recomended somewhere on here - although Leeds is a long way off.

Seems like a call to the Southampton area might be in order. But, having summoned the courage to have a closer look, I've found a couple of marks that might not be solved by a re-spray :-(

Until I can find out for certain, I might need to source a new JDM front bumper.

This might mean I bite the bullet and get a new rear valance and get lots of the body work re-sprayed to correctly get the poorly touched up 'shopping trolley' dinks and stone chips sorted. Seeing as the other half picks up her new motor tomorrow we'll be back to a proper two (daily runners) car family and the NSX will be retired to the garage for vast period of time after the HiD install and Rolling Road day at the end of this month ... so in a way I need a project for the winter months ;-)

AR
19-09-2006, 06:57 PM
Paul, do you need both the upper and lower valance of the front bumper?

Cheers

AR

Martin
19-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Hello Paul,

Very sorry to hear about your ding.

Arrrgh! I am annoyed for you...

Martin

Paul
19-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Paul, do you need both the upper and lower valance of the front bumper?

Cheers

AR The damage of confined to the bumper itself and no other panel, not even the lower valance. It might be a horrible thing to do, but maybe some ... excuse me for this ... filler and smoothing out of the marks will be enough prior to a re-spray.

I will not have a ... bodge it and leg it job done ... but properly used I suspect filler might be enough.

That said if there is a perfectly sound front bumper stashed away in someones shed, then so long as it's a JDM version I might well be interested in releasing the shed space for someone.

However, I won't be rushing into buying any parts just yet. I should find out from a body shop repairer what the options are before parting with any of the folding stuff.

AR
19-09-2006, 11:34 PM
However, I won't be rushing into buying any parts just yet. I should find out from a body shop repairer what the options are before parting with any of the folding stuff.

Timing might be wrong, but I am hoping to do an O2 conversion sometime next year, and I will have a JDM NSX-R bumper spare.

Cheers

AR

Senninha
20-09-2006, 08:20 AM
I will not have a ... bodge it and leg it job done ... but properly used I suspect filler might be enough.

Paul,

Sorry to hear of your knock, dont you just love indecisive drivers :mad:

Just a thought on your comment above; I'm pretty sure that the NSX bumpers are designed to absorb small knocks however this built in flexibility/design (part of the initial low weight program) means that they may not take a 'filler' repair very well. All may look well staight out of the paint shop but I'd be concerned for you that after a short period of enthusiastic driving, or some careless person in the carpark, and you could end up with cracks around the areas of repair.

I would want to discuss this in detail with the bodyshop and have some assurance that this wont happen before leaving my NSX for repairs.

Hope this helps and you get sorted quickly.

regards

DTA-Motorsport
20-09-2006, 10:23 AM
Hi Paul -

Very sorry to hear about your "prang". I too have recently found myself in a similar situation. Story goes like this: Woman in MPV at round-about. I see no traffic coming around the island therefore assume car in front will move off. As I'm looking to the right for any potential traffic coming around (of which there is none) I let my foot off the brake (automatic transmission so car moves off slowly). Woman in front moves all of a foot and then stops - meanwhile I put my foot on the accelerator because from the corner of my eye I saw car in front move off. PRANG! Fortunately no damage to her car nust another scrape on my "soon-to-be-replaced" front bumper.

I work with a bodyshop in Worcestershire (5 miles off J2 of the M5) called Body Work Plus Ltd. They are well known for absolutely top jobs on classic and performance cars (they are one of only a handful of Ferrari authorised bodyshops). They have worked on everything from minis to Ferrari 575s, etc and this is where I will be taking my car this winter for its complete overhaul. Details are as follows:

Body Work Plus

Unit F, Nash Works
Forge Lane
Belbroughton
Worcestershire
DY9 9TD

Phone/Fax: 01562 731888
Mobile: 07813 692391

ask for Steve, tell him you got his details from me, Dan @ DTA-Motorsport.

Best of luck with the repairs.

On a side note, I have only just returned from a trip abroad and will try and organise a date to install your and Lankstarr's HID kit. Will be in touch soon.

ATB

Dan

Paul
20-09-2006, 12:29 PM
AR ... you have a PM.

Senninha and DTA ... thanks for your thoughts and recomendations.