PDA

View Full Version : 96 NSX Tranny Part Numbers (European)

OLDMNSX
16-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Greetings to All,

I am currently in Afghanistan and doing a little research. I would like to know if any of you have access to the part numbers for the 96 NSX Europe / Japan Spec 5-Speed Tranny? Anyone working at a Honda Dealership in the parts department? As you well know the trannys have part numbers, not a part number with a serial number for each individual complete assembly.

I think that there were some improvements made to the gearbox since "91". I have no facts though.

I have a early "91" (Ser #265, non snap ring) and would like to find a late model 5-Speed to replace my early one. I don't want to spend the money for the 6-Speed upgrade so figured that the last year would be what to look for.

If I found one with a damaged case could I use the newer guts and build them into my old case?

Does anyone have one sitting in the corner of their garage?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Brad

Kevin
16-09-2006, 09:37 AM
The gearbox for Europe is the same as the American one. The two versions of the gearing is Japan and Rest of the World. Are you fixing a problem with your gearbox, or hoping to change the ratios for the short ones?

I would suggest Dirk in Germany (he has a section in the vendors section) would be the quickest and easiest way to find a gearbox.

As far as I know the gearboxes never changed, except for the defect which causes the snap ring issue.

OLDMNSX
21-09-2006, 03:57 PM
The gearbox for Europe is the same as the American one. The two versions of the gearing is Japan and Rest of the World.

Thank-You, I thought that this may be the case, but wasn't sure. You just confirmed my suspicions

Are you fixing a problem with your gearbox, or hoping to change the ratios for the short ones?

Actually both, I have a weak 4th and 5th gear syncro, who knows if I will find anything else when I get it opened up. Also I would like to have a closer ratio gearbox, so thought I could "kill two birds" with one large bushel basket of money.

As far as I know the gearboxes never changed, except for the defect which causes the snap ring issue.

The little research that I have found is that the 91-93 trannys are about the same other than the snap ring problem in late 91 and early 92. There was some changes in 94, nothing big, but in 95 and 96 there was some changes in the angle of the gears and some improvements in the limited slip differential. The change in the gear angle reduced some of the noise in the gearbox.

So figured that if I was going to look for a different tranny that I would try to find the latest 5-Speed that I could find ('96), and hoping for the close ratio also.