PDA

View Full Version : Slow windows

Paul
15-09-2006, 03:35 PM
As far as I'm aware, when operating the electric windows, slow movement is a fairly common thing in older NSXs.

Both of mine operate rather slowly and I've been told that this can sometimes be down to wear and tear on one, or two, of the plastic winding components that operate the windows.

I've also been told that it's possible to get aliminium replacements, or at least it used to be possible. I've PM'd the person, who got some in the past, to see if they are able to help out.

However, in the mean time I thought it would be a reasonable idea to ask the question on here in case someone knows what I'm on about and can shed some light on the subject for us all.

So, does anyone have any contact details for where it might be possible to source aliminium components to replace the plastic pullies, and or, plastic spools, that assist in the operation of the electric windows ... :?:

Kevin
15-09-2006, 04:36 PM
You're almost there. The slow operation is down to the grease either being washed out, pushed out, or containing so much dirt that it becomes ineffective. This causes the slow operation. The slow operation will lead to extra strain on the cables, which then leads to a breakage of the plastic clip that hold the two cable ends together.

It is this clip that can be changed for an ali one which is strong enough not to break, but it won't make your windows go any quicker, and will still be a strain on the cables and motor.

So you need to clean and regrease the slides to really get everything working as it should.

DaliRacing and Science of Speed make and sell the Window Fixit Thingys that you require.

I notice you have a 1996, which will have the stronger component that holds the plastic clip. This though is still not strong enough to hold the cables should the plastic break and there be too much strain. It is stronger than the early cars, but I think it can still break.

modarr
15-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Damn right it can break.

Just had a new regulator fitted to a driver's side window that had already been replaced once with the 'stronger' newer version.

If it makes a 'popping' noise on the way down, get counting those green backs.

Mo

WhyOne?
16-09-2006, 07:02 AM
I am currently trying to persuade Trident Honda in Weybridge to do this properly. (I will fully recount my experinces with this supposed 'flagship NSX dealership' here once I have finished my current round of battles with them).

Anyway, they charged Y1's former owner Ritchie a significant amount of money to lubricate the passenger side window mechanism (despite there actions making little or no difference to the speed of operation). I took the car back and they had another go (this time, to their credit, without charging) though again, no appreciable difference was made to the speed of the window. I asked what they had lubricated (they failed to answer this) and what they had used as a lubricant - an aerosol of silicone based lubricant.

According to my research on Prime, Honda produce / recommend a Urea based grease specifically for this purpose - I assume that this is more likely to be effective than silicon spray????

Gary
19-09-2006, 06:40 PM
I had my drivers door apart recently (to rebuild the regulator after the plastic 'thingy' let go). I found loads of excess virgin grease liberally (and not to carefully) smeered along the window channels. I just reused some of this to relubricate my cable guides.

Paul
19-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Having posted this, I forgot to check the windows after the car came back from it's 10 year service, cam belt change and MoT.

Scott at Clover Leaf Honda in Reading said he'd look at the mechanisms for me and re-grease them etc.

Having remembered that I checked them first thing this morning ... before my nasty incident on my way home ... and the drivers side seems much better, although the passenger side still seems ridiculously slow.

Thanks for all the tips and pointers, it seems like I'll need to get the manual and tool box out over the winter months and see if I can improve things with the advice above, thanks to all for your feedback.