PDA

View Full Version : Not just a blown bulb...

gsuds
08-09-2006, 10:50 PM
Well, it had to happen, just wasn't expecting it 3 months into ownership.

Rear wheel bearings, cracked rear suspension arm, reset tracking and an oil change....

......just the wrong side of £2.5K

Ouch.

On the plus side, Chatham's Edinburgh were fantastic, enthusiastic about the car, discount on already-low labour rate (coming in at £47/hr!!!!!) with NSX technician on board. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Now for the new tyres to replace the weirdly-worn ones.....doesn't really need rears yet but more heavily worn on L than R so I reckon worth doing all together, esp. as changing brand.

Don't know why it feels faster now - probably just 'cos it's not handling like a dog on ice!

My wife has kindly pointed out to me that so far, my really reliable, sub-Ferrari-running-costs car has cost about the same as the new kitchen we now can't have (if you add in the hi-fi changes, Xenons and paint freshen-up).

Mind you, can't imagine similar work on said Italian would be anything less than double that.

Graham

WhyOne?
09-09-2006, 06:32 AM
Well, it had to happen, just wasn't expecting it 3 months into ownership.............................My wife has kindly pointed out to me that so far, my really reliable, sub-Ferrari-running-costs car has cost about the same as the new kitchen we now can't have (if you add in the hi-fi changes, Xenons and paint freshen-up).

Oh dear Graham, I am really sorry to hear this!!!!

As a recent NSX owner, having 'sold' the car to my wife in much the same was as your good-self, stories such as this give me the willys!

Did anything that you are aware of happen to the car to precipitate the problems - they, particularly the cracked suspension arm, dont sound like things that just happen through normal wear and tear??

On the plus side, having a service dept. you like and trust is worth its weight in gold and you are absolutely right about the cost of similar repairs to a Ferrari or similar.

Kevin
09-09-2006, 09:38 AM
A cracked suspension arm can hardly be put down to poor reliability.

In my seven years of NSX ownership, running websites, being part of the American email lists and forums, I have never heard of the that before, apart from accident damage.

Of course some people get problems with their cars. All cars can have a problem, but you at least statistically speaking be assured you have the most reliable sports car in its class.

Nick Graves
09-09-2006, 02:23 PM
You own a 13-year old supercar!

I've heard of people with Porsches that have spent more than that.

Put it this way; for an extra £30K you could get an NSX with some of the manufacturer's warranty left.

OK, it's luck of the draw & some have spent diddly squat (however much that is, I dunno) on theirs. But that's the way things go, I'm afraid.

Trident
09-09-2006, 07:04 PM
Sorry to tell you this but I had a bulb blow last year. That's it, apart from a clutch change at 90K and normal servicing. Approaching 119K now.
Trident

Nick Graves
09-09-2006, 07:51 PM
:D

An NSX and a Trident; that's sort of the ying & yang of reliability!

britlude
10-09-2006, 06:39 PM
if it's any consolation, I had to change a blown dipped beam bulb yesterday....

ok, on reflection, probably not a great deal of consolation, but at least the sentiment is there!

gsuds
11-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Wasn't suggesting poor reliability, nor that costs unreasonable - far from it - my post agreed labour costs especially good!

Just letting off steam really. Don't expect much else to go wrong, and yes at 13 years old it ain't bad at all!

Now, how do I put blushing smilie on? Pretty sure I broke the arm anyway, was on a very remote road leading down to a reservoir, "making progress", caught out by a road dip and the car came down quite heavily. Didn't notice anything at the time, but odd tyre wear made me have the alignment reset, and this I think may have made the fracture more obvious, certainly the handling more obviously "off". You live & learn....that road was really more of a Scooby/Evo one....

simonprelude
11-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Even though the car does seem to do pretty well on all road conditions I too wonder how much damage the suspension arms suffer from large buffeting.

Better for that to happen than for it to snap whilst driving.

Wheel bearings, depending on how fussy an owner is they probably showed signs of wear so could have been changed sooner but the price of them is certainly better than certain other manufacturers. I have just had 1 changed on warranty and am possibly going to get the other one done also.

Oh well, here's to future £££ free motoring for you from now on.

Trident
11-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Nick, I would have disagreed with you about my Trident, until yesterday when it stopped three times on the bike run to Brighton. It turned out to be a disconnected wire from the alternator, which I fixed on the side of the road. But I agree that you don't see many Tridents on the road because they are all in bits in garages around the country.
I am truly amazed at the reliability of the NSX, but I am getting nervous about the cambelt now.
Peter

Senninha
11-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Peter,

If in doubt, change the cambelt! Even though mine came with full documented history I changed mine early, a) because the car has a low mileage which I believe may increase the wear and b) I was off to Europe so wanted piece of mind. £500 belt service vs damaged / blown engine is a no brainer IMO.

Paul
11-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Nick, I would have disagreed with you about my Trident, until yesterday when it stopped three times on the bike run to Brighton. It turned out to be a disconnected wire from the alternator, which I fixed on the side of the road. But I agree that you don't see many Tridents on the road because they are all in bits in garages around the country.
I am truly amazed at the reliability of the NSX, but I am getting nervous about the cambelt now.
Peter Just had my cam belt done, in the 10year service at Clover Leaf Honda in Reading. They have an NSX mechanic called Scott who is very good. Prices are typical Honda I suppose, total cost for the 10 year service including cam belt and an MoT was a shade over £1,200. Not cheap, but at least I now have peace of mind.

DAVEMAT
12-09-2006, 03:14 AM
Also just had my cambelt changed, nowhere near due mileage wise, but purely for peace of mind, it also highlighted a couple of oil seals which were just starting to weap, so I had them changed aswell, oh and a new set of plugs.