PDA

View Full Version : NSX V Lotus Elise: a comparison

blue5
07-09-2006, 09:29 PM
From time to time, we here are asked by others, what it is like to own and drive an NSX compared to their own/their friends/or cars they fantisise about etc.

Well after 9 years of NSX ownership I have "gone the other way" and bought the "next" most beautiful car i have ever seen: a type 49 Elise S2.

I thought i take this opportunity to post my initial view on what its like to NOT own an NSX.

Externally they are both similar in size, inside the Elise it is amazing how much space there actually is, none of it useable and still nowhere to put an A-Z or a bottle of water! But the view throught the windscreen has the same panoramic quality.

Getting in, with the hardtop on requires an element of origami but once in, the seat hugs well, its just a shame i dont have fat buttocks but i am sure the pain will subside in a few miles but in the meantime and just to be on the safe side i will be buying a cushion.

Its amazing how little is contained within the confines of the elise, there is an engine,a tiny gearbox and in the front a radiator, thats about it, or at least all i can find as at the moment i am finding it difficult to bend and actually after a few hundred miles i dont like standing up much either.

Seated inside the car we are off on our first trip around the block. The cockpit is filled with noise which i later discover to be the engine, i am immediately compelled to fit my Jonathan Palmer ear plugs, these reduce the "noise" a little so i resort to turning on the radio. I have to have it up quite LOUD because of the earplugs.

I can still hear the engine.

Ignoring the pain i turn a few corners, past some parked cars, avoid a bus, stop, turn around, return to the start and do it again just for the hell of it. This car really can steer, and that engine is soooo smothe.

I fill the tank, £33, and drive to the seaside. I now have both windows open because of the lack of air con and proper ventilation.

I can no longer cannot hear the radio as a result.

The journey is a voyage of discovery.

I discover that in the NSX, Whitstable is only an hour and a half away, in the Elise after an hour and a half i look at my watch (there is no clock in the Elise) and find I have only being travelling for fifteen minutes.

like the NSX the Elise just eats the miles but unfortunately it chews every mouthful 20 times, (which could account for its light weight).

With the wife at the helm i can watch our progress reflecting in shop windows as we perambulate Whitstable high street in the traffic.

In the NSX grown men would observe the passing with a botoxed look, and maybe, just maybe the imperceptable nod in salute to from one "head" to another in recognition of the choice of wheels.

In our Elise the passing was signalled by the screaming and mass pointing and tugging of parents, by children, jostling to get a better view as we pass. The attention was overwhelming, we both put on our shades, it made no difference, but at least we looked "well" cool.

I had just discovered what it is like to walk down a busy hight street in thigh high boots and a mini skirt. I can reccomend it. (I think my wife already knew this)

Back home again with £31 of fuel remaining and bodwork tattooed with dead flies and the sticky paw prints of our admirers, we struggle from the car and collapse into bed choosing "foetus" style as the preferred "position du nuit".

As i drift away I can still hear that bloody engine,but my tinnitus has gone.

And so for future reference to those who wish to know, my considered comparison between an Elise and an NSX is thus:

THERE IS NO COMPARISON!

Can anyone reccomend a good ostepath?

sportyking
07-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Try going from an NSX to an Ariel Atom!!

Senninha
08-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Hi Blue5,

Thanx for the read, it brought back memories of my S2 Elise 135. After reading your post I realise what a wise choice I made to tick the sound deadening and carpets on the options list (I know, this isn't what the purest like :rolleyes: ). I owned mine for just over a year as a daily driver :shock: and enjoyed almost every one of the 19k miles. Driven enthusiastically but not without mechanical sympathy, the Elise needed nothing more than routine servicing and as you have discovered, the occasional drop of Optimax! It was still on its factory tyres when I sold it!!

I'm now 6 months into NSX ownership and enjoying the experience. Its not as direct as the Elise but does feel like its elder brother, a bit wiser and delivering its capabilties with maturity.

I didn't have the hard top for the Elise as I would have the roof of whenever possible (pre the a/c option). It was even dry inside with gentle rain in the air. As for access, I found it paid to slide the seat back before getting out to make for easier entry/exit. It also preserves the bolster.

Congratulations on your new P&J.

Regards

Paul

DamianW
08-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Interesting. I had an early S1 Elise, followed by an early S2 Elise. What I miss is the Elise's ability to drive to a trackday, have its bottom spanked, then drive home again without costing a fortune. What I don't miss is the littany of problems and issues, the back ache, the hearing loss and the heat soak.

To be honest I don't think you can draw comparisons between the two cars. As you suggest, the NSX is a grown up supercar that's a compromise, designed to be a great road car. Which it is. The Elise is a bantem-weight (well, it was, its getting heavier every year) sportscar that really makes sense as a weekend trackday thrasher.

In my opinion anyway! In an ideal world I'd have one of each.

Nick Graves
08-09-2006, 09:42 AM
I drove an S1 years ago. The windscreen's that shape, in order to sheild the grin.

There is a similarity between the cars, but one is a track car/roadster, the other a luxury GT/roadster.

I recently struggled into and out of a friend's S2.

Fark that; i'm too old and irascible to piss about. T-time for me, thanks!

simonprelude
08-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Still want that angle grinder, only way to get a facelift UK NIOP Targa I think :(
Or a tin of NIOP paint.

Fark that; i'm too old and irascible to piss about. T-time for me, thanks!

minime
08-09-2006, 03:50 PM
firstly i am new here!...i have found this comparision really good as i am hopefully of getting a nsx in the near future! i currently have a vx220 which, over the 4 years of ownership, has been tweeked! i have recently driven a tweeked nsx aswell !

my findings are 1) the vx220 is more agile ( i do have 2 way ohlins and ao48's) the nsx feels heavier 2) the nsx feels more planted for higher speeds ( even though my vx has a motorsport wing and large front spoiler) 3) the nsx is very quiet even with a decent exhaust and intake! my vx has a very loud exhaust sytem coupled with an itg induction kit
4) felt i could drive across the country in the nsx...i would have to take a few breaks with the nsx 5) nsx is really well built..the vx is ok but not in the same league 5) the nsx has a beautiful sounding engine and i really enjoyed those extra revs....the vx has a standard lump in it( although mine has polished and ported head fast/road cams/revised software)
6)the nsx has a good sized boot...the vx struggle to get a couple a soft bags in it.
7)the nsx has a better top speed 8)the nsx is easier to get in and out of too:)

i did find that my vx seem to accelerate a lot faster thou? but also feel that the nsx is a grown up vx too

steve

QuietJim
08-09-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm lucky enough to have both - I've had a boggo S1 Elise from new in 1998 and it's absolutely fabulous. It's like a terrier. It's not that quick, but just pootling along at 30 feels so good that I don't mind. Once at track speeds it's just unbelievable, unlike any other car I've ever driven - so much information coming through your arse that you can feel it's about to slide, before it actually does so. I can't see myself ever being without an Elise, they're really that good.

The NSX took a while to grow on me, but it has now. Taking it to the Ring emphasised quite how brilliant it is - breezing across Europe, wondering why the other people in the convoy were getting out to stretch their legs after only ... let's see ... oh crikey, 250 miles gone already. Then hammering around the Ring itself and tanking home, maxing it on the way, to catch the ferry. Faultless. Its main strength is its ambivalent nature - it's a GT cruiser, but it's also a track warrior. I've never driven another car that can achieve that so well.

Given the choice, if I could only keep one car, it would be the Elise, but it's getting closer every day. Interestingly the Elise attracts almost no attention now (it did when it was new, but they're common as dog turds around here nowadays) whereas the NSX always raises a flutter.

Nick Graves
08-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Still want that angle grinder, only way to get a facelift UK NIOP Targa I think :(
Or a tin of NIOP paint.

Oh dear.

As d-base man, I'm sure you're right.

I was hoping for the uprated suspension, so maybe not NIOP after all. I've been barred from yellow, apparently.

Mind you, if one of the pre-facelift NIOPs pops up, I'll have to think again.

sportyking
09-09-2006, 12:16 AM
Sorry to continue to slide off topic but does anyone know when IOP stopped and NIOP started? Simon?
If I remember correctly IOP is the slightly darker of the two.

DamianW
09-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Sorry to continue to slide off topic but does anyone know when IOP stopped and NIOP started? Simon?
If I remember correctly IOP is the slightly darker of the two.

Am I the only one that doesn't have the faintest idea what you lot are now talking about? ;)

What is IOP/NIOP?

TheQuietOne
09-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

TheQuietOne
09-09-2006, 08:14 AM
Am I the only one that doesn't have the faintest idea what you lot are now talking about? ;)

What is IOP/NIOP?

Ok so IOP is Imola Orange Pearl(e) and the extra N stands for new! The colour was 'updated' or rather made more orange at some point. I would have a guess at this being on 02+ cars or whenever the S2k became available in orange. I suppose it is the same as our NFR cars as opposed to FR ones, but the orange is markedly different unlike the red IMHO.

Having been to see the NIOP car in Coventry on Thursday with Simon, I'd say I prefer the original colour it is more understated, and yes Richard noticably darker!

Maybe a mod could split this into a colour thread to preserve the interesting original comparrison thread...?