PDA

View Full Version : Idea...

DamianW
30-06-2004, 09:17 AM
Would it be possible to post a digest of the yahoo email list to the forum? Not sure technically how that could be done, but it would mean those of us who don't want to be part of the list still get to see anything that might be useful on it.

ctrlaltdelboy
30-06-2004, 10:45 AM
that's a blinding idea mate

what do you reckon Kev if we had a thread entitled 'yahoo list' or whatever and subscribe an email address at the server to the list, then have some code which puts any messages received into a new post in the thread?

then anyone on here can subscribe to the thread and get a notification by email that there are new posts to be read, which they can either act upon immediately or later as desired.

welshdragon
30-06-2004, 06:17 PM
I 2nd that good idea :D

Kevin
01-07-2004, 06:36 AM
I'll look into it. As the servers are the ISPs and not mine, there's probably a limited amount I can do, regarding writing custom code. Could be fun to do just to see if it can be done. Sorry my sad IT persona took over for a second there.

But if you subscribe to the thread, and receive emails that something from Yahoo has been posted, why not just subscribe to the emails direct from Yahoo in the first place?

Another thought which has already been bandied about, is posting to Yahoo, new posts from the Forum.

DamianW
01-07-2004, 08:09 AM
I'll look into it. As the servers are the ISPs and not mine, there's probably a limited amount I can do, regarding writing custom code. Could be fun to do just to see if it can be done. Sorry my sad IT persona took over for a second there.

But if you subscribe to the thread, and receive emails that something from Yahoo has been posted, why not just subscribe to the emails direct from Yahoo in the first place?

Another thought which has already been bandied about, is posting to Yahoo, new posts from the Forum.

Cool, nice one!

Yeah subscribing to the thread seemed a bit pointless to me too, may as well stick with the yahoo group. From my perspective I'm just interested in a solution that means I only have to check one place, I don't get adverts, and I'm not receiving emails from little hitlers :lol:

I suspect new posts from here getting forwarded to the yahoo group will just result in cries of derision. Forums always have a poorer signal-to-noise ratio, even one as good as this.

Kevin
01-07-2004, 11:52 AM
I have been looking into it, and it may be fairly straightforward.

So posts from the Yahoo email list will be posted into a separate forum here for reading (and archiving), for those that don't want to receive emails from Yahoo.

ctrlaltdelboy
02-07-2004, 05:23 PM
Yaay!

nice one Kev, now that's what I call a solution :wink: 8)

Welshman
02-07-2004, 07:20 PM
Suggest the best thing is to bin the Yahoo group and consign it to history. One forum has greater critical mass and would be more valuable to everyone.

ctrlaltdelboy
04-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey Welshman, try making that suggestion on the list and see what happens - I did (kind of) :lol: :roll:

Welshman
05-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Hey Welshman, try making that suggestion on the list and see what happens - I did (kind of) :lol: :roll:

Yes I can imagine the reaction but I might feel sufficiently :twisted: ish to do it.

welshdragon
05-07-2004, 09:11 AM
Darren I thought it was mutiny on the bounty sorry forum :)

ctrlaltdelboy
05-07-2004, 06:06 PM
no Dale, it's your job to wind up the mods on the Revolutions forum - leave upsetting the yahoo list owner to me :wink:

welshdragon
05-07-2004, 10:13 PM
Not a problem it looks like you have had a good teacher :wink:

Let me know about Brands :?:

Dale

DamianW
06-07-2004, 09:28 AM
no Dale, it's your job to wind up the mods on the Revolutions forum - leave upsetting the yahoo list owner to me :wink:

I like to think I brought something to that particular party ;)