PDA

View Full Version : OEM Front Spoiler Fitting

WhyOne?
01-09-2006, 01:53 PM
I have a new OEM spoiler to fit to Y1 (the existing one is somewhat scuffed).

Is the job of removing the old spoiler and fitting the new one a straightforward job? What type of fixings are used to attach the spoiler (Honda has a nasty habit of using fixings which 'self destruct' upon removal!)

Thanks in anticipation for your helpful reponses.

TheQuietOne
01-09-2006, 01:56 PM
Not sure but how much would you like for the old one once removed out of interest?

I would guess the info would be in the manual (downloadable from Prime).

WhyOne?
01-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Not sure but how much would you like for the old one once removed out of interest?

If you can arrange pick-up or cover P&P you are welcome to it FoC. It is not in bad nick, it just has a few (most likely kerb induced) scratches.

Let me know.

Papalazarou
01-09-2006, 02:07 PM
Hey Matt, does that mean I can have yours?

Cheers,

James.

TheQuietOne
01-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Hey James,

Well actually I was thinking of it for Luke's 3.2 as it is the later size splitter (deeper than the 3.0) and his went missing at some point before he bought it! It also crossed my mind to give it to Dan to get his CF guy to look at before it went on another car...

You can have PVC slitter though if that's any good?

Ian thanks for the offer, I will PM to make arrangements to pick it up when you've changed them over if that is OK?

Cheers, Matt.

WhyOne?
01-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Hey James,

Ian thanks for the offer, I will PM to make arrangements to pick it up when you've changed them over if that is OK?

Absolutely, look forward to hearing from you Matt.

Weather, competence and wife permitting, I hope to swap old for new this weekend.

Papalazarou
01-09-2006, 02:28 PM
That's OK Matt,
I think I'll furr line my existing one instead.

Cheers,

James.

Lankstarr
01-09-2006, 02:47 PM
all this done behind my back...

Matt - thanks for thinking of me and sorting this out

Ian - thanks for the offer - it is very appreciated.

I know that I have a few bolts under there for fixing, if you have a new set and any of the old ones come off in one piece (and it's not too cheeky;) ) then if you could throw a couple of them in as well taht would be great!!!

Good luck with the fitting - and thanks again for teh generosity:D

WhyOne?
01-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Ian - thanks for the offer - it is very appreciated.

I know that I have a few bolts under there for fixing, if you have a new set and any of the old ones come off in one piece (and it's not too cheeky;) ) then if you could throw a couple of them in as well taht would be great!!!

Good luck with the fitting - and thanks again for teh generosity:D

It's a pleasure to be able to put a little back into the community - people here have been (and continue to be) very helpful and patient with my NSX learing process.

As for the bolts which attach the spoiler to the underside of the bumper, I did not buy any new ones, so it is highly unlikely I will have any spare, sorry!

kevinpsw
01-09-2006, 03:50 PM
If you are not intending to buy new ones, I wish you better luck than I. My car is about 4 years older than Y1 but all of the 13 bolts and the associated plate clamps on mine were horribly rusted. Apart from being swine to get off, they were expensive to replace. I think it was about £60 for a new set from Chiswick Honda. At least, with the new bolts etc, it was a piece of cake to put the new spolier on.

Lankstarr
01-09-2006, 03:51 PM
Thought I'd ask as I don't know how many are on there! If I don't have enough I can always get the "no more nails" out ;)

Kevin
01-09-2006, 04:34 PM
The bolts will invariably be rusted in. Don't buy new ones though, use normal, or better still stainless steel bolts with wide washers to re-assemble.

Use plenty of copper grease when you put the new one on.

Nick Graves
02-09-2006, 03:43 PM
(Honda has a nasty habit of using fixings which 'self destruct' upon removal!)

Thanks in anticipation for your helpful reponses.

No they bloody don't!

It's usually the case that one either lifts the centre or depresses the centre with a screwdriver & lifts the retainer out with one's fingernails. One then simply re-sets it & pops it back in to close.

Most tyros inevitably destroy them through ignorance/lack of mechanical sympathy.

cf Renault, who attach spoilers with staples!

WhyOne?
02-09-2006, 05:19 PM
No they bloody don't!

Most tyros inevitably destroy them through ignorance/lack of mechanical sympathy.

That will be me then!

The ones I especially dislike/destroy are the 'push plugs' used to attach variouse trim pieces - such as the carpet around the transmission tunnel on the S2000.

WhyOne?
05-09-2006, 12:14 PM
OK, old spoiler off, new spoiler - largely - on - currently it's only attached with 11 of the 13 bolts, so I wont attempt to v-max the car just yet!

I had problems with the bolts to the extreme left and right being rusted up, otherwise it was a breeze.

Matt - drop me a line if you still want the old spoiler.