PDA

View Full Version : CD player Head Unit Wanted...!!!

GStanley
31-08-2006, 09:31 AM
Where would be the best plave to get a replacement CD head unit for a 1991 NSX? It has a cassette player head unit in it but is not the healthiest at the moment.

Priced a new one for that model from my local Honda dealer and they quoted €4500. Madness...!!!

Does anyone know of any for sale or where to source them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Graham

AR
31-08-2006, 12:35 PM
I've looked for one for a while but still no luck, might have to look on NSX Prime.

GStanley
31-08-2006, 12:39 PM
I've looked for one for a while but still no luck, might have to look on NSX Prime.

Cheers...

What's NSX Prime when it's at home? Is it another site?:confused: (Never guess I'm a newbie...)

britlude
31-08-2006, 04:33 PM
bless!

NSXprime... US NSX site, with the biggest NSX forum in the whole wide world... A Huge wealth of information, data, tips, and anything else you could possibly want to know about the NSX.... with an american slant... you can't have everything! LOL!

this'll take you straight to the forums....
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/

PS. you will find Honda do know how to charge for stuff! fortunately there are other suppliers out there!

AR
31-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Is the American version of this site :D . www.nsxprime.com (http://www.nsxprime.com)

Cheers

AR

Kevin
31-08-2006, 08:57 PM
I've got one.

I guess it will never go back into the car again.

What are they worth?

AR
31-08-2006, 10:25 PM
I've seen them on prime from about $ 200.00 USD, but those have Acura on the tape door.

Cheers

AR

simonprelude
01-09-2006, 06:55 AM
Of a CD player ??

I've seen them on prime from about $ 200.00 USD, but those have Acura on the tape door.

GStanley
01-09-2006, 07:50 AM
I've got one.

I guess it will never go back into the car again.

What are they worth?

Is it a CD player head unit? If so could you PM me pics of it? Am really interested if it is.

Not sure on value of it, will see if I can find it on NSX Prime.

Cheers Kevin.

AR
01-09-2006, 07:50 AM
I just realized what he is after!

No factory CD headunit ever came with a production NSX as far as I know.

Sorry for the confusion.

AR

GStanley
01-09-2006, 07:56 AM
I just realized what he is after!

No factory CD headunit ever came with a production NSX as far as I know.

Sorry for the confusion.

AR

Really....!!!!?:confused:

Does everyone have CD changers connected so, or are ye all partial to a healthy dose of local radio?
The factory cassette head unit that is in the car is on its last legs too.

So I will either have to find a replacement cassette unit and a changer with suitable connections or buy an after market CD unit. Is that what my options more or less are?

kevinpsw
01-09-2006, 08:17 AM
I think that is exactly the case, they were all cassette playing head units.

The aftermarket route will require a replacement console (RHD as sourced from Dali). I have done just that with a Blaupunkt DAB CD/MP3 receiver, start button and replacing the cigarette lighter socket. I sprayed the console satin black and I think it looks OK. I have yet to put in a new subwoofer (the original has long since gone) but I have identified a compact option manufactured by Pioneer.

If you should decide to go down the same route, I can post some photos.

Probable costs:

Console including import duty etc - approx £100
Stereo - whatever you choose.
Fitting - I paid £130
Paint - £10
Speakers? Depends on what your current ones are like and whether they would work OK with the new head unit.
DAB would of course need a DAB aerial.

AR
01-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Really....!!!!?:confused:

Does everyone have CD changers connected so, or are ye all partial to a healthy dose of local radio?
The factory cassette head unit that is in the car is on its last legs too.

So I will either have to find a replacement cassette unit and a changer with suitable connections or buy an after market CD unit. Is that what my options more or less are?

No you could also buy an OEM CD changer.

There are a few for sale on the board, I have one for sale too if you are interested.

Cheers

AR

simonprelude
01-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Looking at some of the newer cars for sale on autotrader this does appear to be the case.
Strange.

I think that is exactly the case, they were all cassette playing head units.

GStanley
01-09-2006, 11:06 AM
I heard that after 97-98 they came with CD head units. Cassetes were on the way out then, it would only make sense. For the money they were new, I'd be really surprised if they sold them with cassete units.
You'd really think that they would either put in a good modern head unit or leave it out to save weight etc.

If I do have to go down the CD changer route I'll have to get a head unit also. What should I expect to pay for the lot?

Thanks for all your help lads, really appreciated.

jaytip
01-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Even the 2005 models came with the tape deck head unit.
I was under the impression that they all came pre-wired for the cd changer in the boot,and that it was just a case of buying the changer if it was not fitted as an option on the car???????

gsuds
01-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Just fitted an Alpine head unit in a tray under the glovebox - doesn't impinge on passenger legroom that much and a remote takes care of it being out of reach. Need aftermarket speakers too (I think) - I was replacing mine anyway as Bose ones shot & I had some spare good ones in the garage.

Obviously the neatest option is to change the centre console as above.

Kevin
01-09-2006, 05:13 PM
OK, let's clarify a few things here for our newbie friend.

All NSXs have a cassette head unit. The head unit does not have an amplifier. The BOSE speakers have crappy amps built into them, which I have fixed on a few occasions.

All NSXs are wired with a cable into the boot to take a CD changer. However the cable is altered slightly so a standard Alpine CD changer won't sound right. All they do is switch two wires around. This can be put right so a normal alpine changer works.

The Honda CD changer was an optional item, fitted in the boot. From a certain year, possibly the facelifted model, the CD changer in the boot comes as standard.

The head unit and CD changer are made by Alpine. Any M-bus CD changer will work with the head unit. The standard one is an old model and is quite big. Honda made a cradle to hold the changer and allow it to swing down so you can put CD's in it. Newer and better CD changers are smaller and won't fit into this cradle directly.

The head unit I have has a cassette, and while I'm thinking about it, I have an Alpine CD changer too, not a Honda original, but a better newer one.

GStanley
02-09-2006, 11:16 PM
@Kevin: Cheers for clearing up all the confusion.

Only thing is that I'm pretty sure that the head unit in the car is a Bose unit and not Alpine...:confused:

Paul
03-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Only thing is that I'm pretty sure that the head unit in the car is a Bose unit and not Alpine...:confused: The tape head unit might well have Bose on the cassette door flap ... but it's internal workings appear to be Alpine.

Or at least that's what I'd suggest having just read Kevin's last post.
The head unit and CD changer are made by Alpine. Hope this helps.