PDA

View Full Version : Headroom - Targa 'vs' Coupe

Paul
30-08-2006, 07:32 PM
I thought I'd seen a post on the site saying the Targa has distinctly less headroom than the Coupe.

However, having done a quick search on recent posts I can't seem to find it. So, sorry if this is another topic re-visited.

Having met up with CrazyMixedUpKid recently I took a seat in a Targa with the roof on for the first time and having my car parked alongside it seemed as though the difference in headroom was not really noticeable.

Being 6'2" I'm towards the upper height limit for finding a decent seating position without having to 'scoot' down in the seat and when seated if I put my fingers flat on top of my head it bridges the small gap between my head and the roof ... being virtually bald this gap is easily measured ;-)

When I jumped into CrazyMixedUpKid's Targa I found ... a little to my surprise ... that the headroom appeared to be the same!

Does anyone have a diffinitive answer as to whether the headroom is the same or not :-?

If there is actually a significant difference, albeit one that I failed to spot, it might be worth adding it to the forum of useful information for prospective new owners.

To put the full test details forward, in case country of market build makes a difference, my NSX is a '96 (N plate) JDM 3.0 5 speed manual coupe, while CrazyMixedUpKid's NSX is a '97 (?? P plate) UK 3.2 6 speed manual coupe.

Your thoughts please :-)

Papalazarou
01-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Hi Paul,

Had a search on Prime and found this:

Also realize there is a difference in seat cushion size with the older car probably being a little less "fluffy".

I have both. There is no difference unless you have the seat positioned so that your head is almost at the junction of the roof and back glass, in which case the targa panel does have a thicker ridge around the periphery.

I'm 5ft 11" and there was no difference in headroom between mine and the coupes i've sat in. As the guy says above, it's no doubt got more to do with how far back the seat is, but also how layed back your natural driving position is.

Cheers,

James.

AR
01-09-2006, 10:08 AM
I am a little over 6 feet ,I used to have a problem in my old 99 T reg car when looking around sometimes my head will touch the roof liner. I sat in Targas before and it did not see that much different, but I fount the liner looks thicker, maybe it was an optical illusion. In the NSX-R with the OEM recaro seats all those problems are gone.

I believe that Dali sells a seat cushion that is lower than OEM. Keep in mind that the lower you are in the seat, the harder it will be to get out of the car.

Cheers

AR

Lankstarr
01-09-2006, 10:47 AM
I'm 5ft 11"

I don't see whta width has to do with this James ;o)

I thought Matt said he couldn't notice the difference in headroom when he hopped from his to yours? I know he's not as lanky as me but must be 6'2">

jaytip
01-09-2006, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't have thought there would be much(if any) difference.Unless i am mistaken,the coupe has a beam/box section running across the roof from (front to back) to add ridgidity,which the targa would not need seeing as the roof comes off.

AR
01-09-2006, 12:38 PM
This will turn into another Targa vs. Coupe thread.

Edited to add that it was already a Targa vs. Coupe thread.

Cheers

AR

TheQuietOne
01-09-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't see whta width has to do with this James ;o)

I thought Matt said he couldn't notice the difference in headroom when he hopped from his to yours? I know he's not as lanky as me but must be 6'2">
If it were width for James it would be 5"...and yes I said width not girth!

I noticed no difference driving James' T in terms of heard room, but that might have been beacuase I was so flipping nervous about touching a kerb with those bling rims of his - especially across the Seven Sisters Bridges!

Re the Coupe vs Targa thing James said to me; it's a bit like sheep, don't knock it 'till you've tried it!

jaytip
01-09-2006, 02:49 PM
I noticed no difference driving James' T in terms of heard room,

What do you plan on putting in it,lol !!

TheQuietOne
01-09-2006, 02:52 PM
What do you plan on putting in it,lol !!
Freudian slip bearing in mind my little quip...LOL!

Kevin
01-09-2006, 04:51 PM
There seems to be more and more talk of people driving other people cars around here.

It's making the site sound like some kind of swinging club. Should I change the club name?:)