PDA

View Full Version : Warped disc...... what to do next?

trackdemon
29-06-2004, 05:04 PM
Simple question really (and I think I already know the answer). My rear nearside disk judders when braking, but only when hot (only takes one heavy application) which leads me to think that the disk is warped. I've found a decent local engineering firm who will skim the disc for me but I'm wondering if this will solve the problem given that the disc seems to be particularly affected by heat; ie will it judder again after skimming?

Hope this makes sense, I'm really just wondering if any of you can offer the benefit of your experience. What I'm trying to avoid is the expense of replacing the disks when the braking surface is perfectly servicable....

Kevin
29-06-2004, 07:55 PM
get the runout measured, to make sure it's warped. I read now that most often its not warping but uneven pad deposits that cause vibration.

then if it warped, measure the thickness, so that by skimming its not going to take the disc below min thickness.

i had mine skimmed, all round. still got vibration next time at the track. so pretty much a waste of time for me.

while the discs were off we found that the hub face of the discs were not flat, this causes the wheel not to sit totally flat, probably adding to the vibrations.

Nick Graves
09-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Norton Way Honda Letchworth skimmed the front disks of my girlfriend's Civic VTi.

The results were fine.

Rob_Fenn
18-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Warped discs are not likely, it is more common for it to be brake pad to leave uneven deposits on the discs, which are usually not visible. This is caused by exceeding the temperature limit or not bedding in the pads.

I guess the solution is now obvious, get racier pads.

-Rob