PDA

View Full Version : SOURCE FOR TRACKDAY-SPEC REAR PADS

david_f
28-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Hi Guys! I'm having trouble sourcing trackday-spec rear pads for my Phase II (2000) NSX. Mine has the 16" fronts and 17" rears. I can get Ferodo DS2500s for the front (very good compromise road/track) but am struggling with anything other than OEM spec for the rears. Can anyone suggest a source and perhaps part number? Cheers.

Kevin
28-06-2004, 06:15 PM
I use Mintex 1155 all round. Mintex don't stock the rears anymore, but I get batches made up via a distributor at intervals.

I have an order in for a few sets both in 1144 and 1155 compounds. Should be another few weeks though.

david_f
29-06-2004, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the response Kev. What's the difference between 1144 and 1155 compounds (i.e. which would be a better all rounder for road and track?). Cheers, David.

Kevin
29-06-2004, 04:06 PM
The difference is in what temperature ranges they work from and up to. 1144 being a 'fast road' light track usage pad, and 1155 a bit harder.

I think they equate to DS2000 and DS2500 in the Ferodo range.

I haven't personally used 1144 compound.

To give you another indication. Cheapo pattern part pads last about 5 laps on a track, and never stop too well. Honda NSX pads last a day, and perform alright, 1155 pads last me about 4-5 days, and stop pretty good.

The harder the pad though, the faster your discs will get worn. With the big brake kit coming soon, the rotor temps should run cooler than before, this in turn means being able to run a cooler pad, and not have to wear the discs so much. Also, the cooler range pads work better on the road.

I rang up the distributor, and chased up my order, as Mintex have been taking some time. I have increased the order to three sets of each.

Mo, has had a set of 1155 from me too, and uses them on the track.

welshdragon
29-06-2004, 07:32 PM
On the rear pads for me I usually used the STD
And swithched off the TC and ABS.

The car was more fun that way 8)

But the front I like Kevin used the 1155s I also removed my Stone Guards to help on the cooling..

Dale

david_f
30-06-2004, 04:10 PM
Thanks Chaps. I currently have Ferodo DS2500s on the front (very good - great feel road and track) and standards on the back ('cause I couldn't get anything else). Given the rears only do around 20% of the work (particularly on track), should I just stick with OEMs on the rear or mix the Ferodos with the Mintex 1155s you mentioned? PS. do you have a part number for the Mitex pads? Regards, David.

Kevin
30-06-2004, 05:21 PM
The Mintex pads are MDB1544 + whatever compound you want.

Like I say Mintex make them to order, and I have some coming in. I get them direct from the distibutor thus cutting out retailer.

I don't agree that the rears don't do much braking. I found with hard pads on the front, you'll get more confidence in them, and brake harder, then you'll find the rears don't last too long. Having hard pads in the rear really makes a difference to the way the pedal feels too.

At last years track day I wasn't the only one who took the rear pads down the metal.

welshdragon
30-06-2004, 06:20 PM
Kevin are you comming to Brands?
To test your new brakes

Dale

Kevin
01-07-2004, 06:29 AM
No I don't think I'll be coming to Brands. I doubt the car will be ready. There's more than just brakes going on it.

Kevin
01-07-2004, 08:36 AM
Have an update on the delivery of Mintex pads.

I'll have a set of 1144 and 1155 rear pads week commencing the 12th.

Anybody who wants them, let me know.

david_f
01-07-2004, 02:37 PM
Hi Kev, if that's a picture of your NSX (Dark grey?), looks like we have the same colour! Re the rear pads, please put me down for a set (1155s); how do I contact you direct, to pay, etc? Regards, David. PS. What's going down at Brands Hatch?

welshdragon
01-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi David

See Post if you fancy it let me know:)

http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203

david_f
07-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Would you believe it! It's one of the track days I'd already booked some months ago (no discount for me). Looking forwad to seeing you boys there. Mine's B16 BAB.

david_f
07-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Dear Welshdragon, I was checking out your profile and found pictures of NSX 1 with an aftermarket exhaust. I'm looking for something for more noise (but no boom) and track legal. Could you recommend the one you've got and if so, where did you source it? Cheers, David.

welshdragon
07-07-2004, 09:46 AM
David come and say hello I will have my Green Eurocar there hopefully driving it if ankle is better by then :)

http://www.monsterevo.co.uk/Eurocar/Donnington/Donnington%20Eurocar2.jpg

Will you be in your NSX?

Dale

david_f
07-07-2004, 09:55 AM
You bet Dale. Having looked at all the options (i.e. Elise, VX220, Caterham, etc), I think it's the best drive to the track (with luggage), have fun on track, drive back from the track, big smile on face - car you could have! Cheers, David. PS I'm spoiled a bit with Brands, because I live quite close by. PPS. Would your Eurocar have anything to do with the ankle. Ouch!!

trackdemon
07-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Hello David - 2 things:

First of all, I may have an exhaust which would suit your needs. I have one fitted to my car so you could hear / see it in action.

Secondly, sounds like your not a million miles away from me (I'm nr Lakeside). Wondered if you fancied a drive this weekend? I know some great roads in nth Essex. PM me if so.

cheers,
Steve

david_f
07-07-2004, 11:07 AM
That sounds cool Steve. When and where? I'm not that clued up with the technology, how do we send emails direct? Cheers, David.

Mike_L
09-07-2004, 02:51 PM
I used the 1144 compound mintex front pads (OEM rear pads) at Bedford Autodrome last month. The Front pads went from nearly new to the metal in an evening session (approx 30 laps), hence I would not recommend them for any track use.

On the positive side the few hundred road miles I did with them beforehand gave excellent brake feel and seemed perfectly OK for road use.

vic
03-08-2004, 11:38 AM
Kevin,

Do you prefer the mintex pads over carbotech?

And why?

Kevin
03-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Not tried Carbotech pads. I haven't tried all that many really. Honda OEM, el cheapo 3rd party, EBC and the Mintex.

Mintex by far have been the best. Honda OEM second, but only last one day. EBC Red Stuff utter crap, and el cheapo the worst, but then they only cost £20.

Different people will say different things, but then everyone drives differently and with varying ability. The more inexperienced the driver the more the tendancy to stomp on the brakes at each corner.

I use Super DOT4 fluids, while some think they have to use some fancy fluids. It's cheap enough to flush through before an event, to freshen it up. I have never had the fluid boil, I have in other cars and I know what it's like when it happens.