PDA

View Full Version : Car won’t start

mutley
11-09-2023, 01:17 PM
Hi all,

Really weird one today. Collected my car from the garage, no issues at all , drove home less than 10miles . Now the car won’t start. Not even turning over just a click at ignition and a few clicks from behind the seat ( ecu area etc) .

Any ideas?

Cheers
Jim

Papalazarou
11-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Could be a load of things, but main relay?

Cheers.

mutley
11-09-2023, 01:55 PM
Quite possible . All I can do is let it sit for a bit then retry it, literally just drove it home , switched it off to move my other car and that was that, now nothing . All ignition lights come on, everything primes up as per normal, turn the key, nothing other than a few clicks around the car !

Old guy
11-09-2023, 03:41 PM
If the starter motor engages; but, the engine will not start then the main EFI relay would be a good starting place. Tell tale signs of a main relay failure are the CEL does not illuminate on first power up and / or the fuel pump does not go through its prime cycle.

If the starter motor does not engage, then possible causes are in the order of likelihood (my opinion)
- the little plastic button that operates the clutch interlock switch has dropped out (a perennial favorite)
- you have a bad battery or connection at the battery post terminals
- the start terminal in the ignition switch has failed
- the starter motor has failed or more likely the solenoid has failed
- you have some other problem in the starter interlock circuit

The quick check for the starter circuit problem is to connect a remote starter switch between the jump start terminal and the starter motor solenoid. Turn the ignition key to the run position and then activate the starter switch. If the starter motor is OK and the battery and connections are good the starter will crank and the engine will start up . I have a 2 m piece of wire stored in my trunk as a budget remote start switch as back up for the day my clutch interlock switch button drops out. The remote start switch bypasses everything in the starter circuit. If the starter does not engage then you have a starter motor problem or a battery / battery connection problem.

Do not be quick to dismiss battery issues. Particularly with maintenance free batteries I have had them transition from functional to unable to start the car within a 10 minute span. They will have enough power to power up the ECU; but, be unable to engage the starter. Also, Honda has particularly flimsy battery post clamps which stretch if they are overtightened. These can come loose and cause the same quick transition from functional to non functional.

Kaz-kzukNA1
11-09-2023, 05:55 PM
Hi, Jim.
I don’t know how long the car was at the garage but if lots of clicking noise inside the cabin and no cranking after leaving the car at the garage, most likely, the power supply issue such as weak battery, loose GND cable or immobiliser.

The starter is separated from the Main Relay circuit so even with the soldering crack at the Main Relay, you can still crank the engine but it won’t fire up or stall in short time.

While you were able to start the engine on collecting the car from the garage, poor battery condition or cable connection, partial failure of the rectifier diode at the alternator, etc will result in low cranking energy.

Please try the following.
1. Arm and disarm the security system. Important to first arm the system to confirm the operation.

2. Turn IGSW into P2 ON. Read the voltage. Should be about 12V or above.

3. Turn IGSW into P3 START while keeping eye on the volt gauge even if you don’t get any cranking.
Should be above 10V.

4. How old is the battery?

5. You may have electrical issue that can drain the battery while parked in the garage or the alternator may not be healthy.

6. Fully charged battery doesn’t mean it’s healthy.

7. If you have jump starter battery pack, try it.

Kaz

mutley
13-09-2023, 08:02 AM
i'm getting the car collected this week, I think it's a potential starter motor issue, but will update more when I know.

Old guy
13-09-2023, 04:47 PM
If it is the starter motor, the more common failure point is the contacts in the solenoid. These can sometimes be rehabilitated with some file work; but, it is not to hard to find rebuild kits for the Denso starters on EBay and Amazon. Much cheaper than a new starter motor. Right now rebuilt starters are un obtanium in North America.

mutley
22-09-2023, 09:03 AM
SOLVED: it was a loose connection under the started!! PHEW

Heineken
23-09-2023, 06:21 AM
Good you found the reason - things like these can keep yourself awake at night :)