PDA

View Full Version : advice needed, taillights/radio

rsevo6
17-08-2006, 05:59 AM
Have been checking out a '98 NSX as a possible buy but it does have a few issues and am wondering about the following problems:
-quite a lot of moisture/condensation in the taillights and center panel, is it difficult to remidy, new parts needed?
-crack on the stereo when changing the volume, is this just the volume knob beiing dirty inside, or is this the dreaded speaker amplifier problem, if so, cost to repair?

Any info appreciated...

ctrlaltdelboy
17-08-2006, 07:26 AM
the condensation issue happens with virtually every NSX - a bit of a design flaw. there are DIY solutions (a couple of different methods can sort this) - have a search here and on nsxprime and you'll see plenty of info on this.

I believe the crackling on volume adjustment is not related to the amp but as you suggested to the knob - I daresay someone with adequate electronics knowledge will turn up and elaborate for you.

simonprelude
17-08-2006, 07:27 AM
Tail lights, it is possible to remove any moisture / liquid with a needle / syringe then the hole should heal.
Alternatively drill a small hole in the bottom for any moisture to drain.
The units should be sealed, you may be able to fing where a leak is and reseal them.
To replace you are talking about a lot of money.

Stereo, sorry no idea.

DTA-Motorsport
17-08-2006, 09:35 AM
The cracking noise through the stereo is most likely the volume control mechanism (which is attached to the volume know). Most car stereo systems use a "potentiometer" to regulate the volume. This is usually made from graphite and is prone to wear out over time. Combine this is a bad electrical connection and cracking noise is the result. To change the mechanism over to a new one could be expensive (I've just tried doing this on a HiFi stereo and the JVC part cost came to well over £100 - stereo itself is probably only worth about that much). I would suggest you find an other (stock) radio and replace the one in the car.

All the best with your purchase!

Regards,

Dan

PS - als je nog meer vragen hebt dan hoor ik het wel :wink:

Lankstarr
18-08-2006, 06:26 AM
PS - als je nog meer vragen hebt dan hoor ik het wel :wink:

I second that motion!!

If these things are all that's wrong with the NSX then I'd say you have found a good one that can be put perfect quite cheaply :D

rsevo6
18-08-2006, 09:18 AM
No, It does have some more issues:

According to the owner it has had a light left front accident damage.
He did tell me this over the phone before I had a look at the car, so seems honest.
Left fender/bumper/headlightcover have been replaced and the whole front (bumper, l+r fender, l+r headlightcovers, hood) resprayed, sadly there are some paintfaults (dustspecs) in the paint.

Strangely, the right front fender and headlight cover gaps don't align, even though there shouldn't have been damage there, perhaps not mounted correctly after the respray job?
Left door when closed gaps about 1,5 mm outside the adjoining rear fender, might be a simple doorcatch adjustment, but not sure.
The chassis IS STRAIGHT, car drives perfect and maybe it is all just realigning work, but it does put me off a little.

Has 86K KM and is a '98 so according to Honda (and common sense) the cambelt should have been changed but this hasn't been done yet, so needs extra cost to be made after a buy.

Am goiing to discuss an offer with him, but he already told me his price was non negotiable as he had just lowered it in his ad (and seeing the way he lives and now drives a Ferrari 360, he doesn't really need the cash)
So if he sticks to his price it won't work.

Lankstarr
18-08-2006, 09:34 AM
hmmm tough choice - depends whether it is the only 3.2 in budget you have seen I suppose. I think lots of NSXs will have had some minor work so knowing about it is probably best, shame about the paint though... if they skimped on getting a poor paint job what does that say about the rest of teh repair?

Main thing is drives right and mechanically sound, but worrying that the cambelt wasn't done?

hmmm decisions decisions