PDA

View Full Version : Insurance - combine two sets of no-claims?

Martin
14-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Hello fellow NSXers

My annual car insurance will be due on the NSX in just over a week.

Touch wood if I have no claims between now and then, I will have 3 years no claims on the NSX.

However, for a period of time I simultaneously owned a RAV4, and built up a separate 1 year no-claims on that car.

Now that I am back to one-car ownership, can I add the two sets of no-claims together, and get 4 years no-claims on the NSX? Does any insurance company allow this, or better again do all insurance companies allow it?

Cheers,
Martin

simonprelude
14-08-2006, 08:45 PM
AFAIK no.

ctrlaltdelboy
14-08-2006, 09:06 PM
like Simon said - I have never come across this

:idea:
compare someone spreading their motoring miles per year between 2 cars and being accident free on both, to an identical someone confining the same motoring miles per year to a single car.

has the first driver proved himself to be a lesser risk and thereby deserving of a smaller premium (i.e. increased NCD)?

if you can't work it out Martin, go and ask an actuary ;)

Martin
15-08-2006, 08:21 AM
funny guy :lol:

I was just hoping car insurance companies used flawed logic

Cheers,
Martin

QuietJim
15-08-2006, 03:43 PM
Insurance companies *do* use flawed logic ... they just always arrange it so it falls in their favour. It bugs me that every time I've increased the size of my personal fleet I have to start from zero NCD on the new car ... doesn't seem fair to me.

NSXGB
19-08-2006, 06:51 AM
....on the subject of insurance, has anyone used Lancaster Insurance?

I have just got a renewal quote of £406, full NCD (protected), 0 points, garaged, RH10 postal code, 1993 3.0 manual.

Sounds a bit too good maybe??

Ciaran
19-08-2006, 10:32 AM
For my sins, I am in the Insurance business, unfortunately I cannot help you guys, as I am not authorised to trade in the UK (yet!!!). We run a group of Brokerages here in the South East of Ireland.

A few points, the No Claims Bonus issue is a complete scam, and if you ask enough people you should be able to get some Insurer to get you "value" for your "other" unused Bonus. My advice is go to a good Motor Broker and explain your situation and let them do the work. If it can be done over there the Brokers will know which Insurer will do it. So even if that Insurers base rate for an NSX is high, it could work out ok if you get full value for your two bonuses. More importantly, next year you should get a NCB cert with the full bonus showing, this would then allow you to move elsewhere with a full (or fuller ) Bonus. Just watch, as some Insurers show the bonus you have been allowed, but also the bonus you have earned, these are not always the same, and a new Insurer may only give you credit (or discount) for the earned amount

I would always advise that if you have an unusual or difficult issue, go to a Motor broker and ask to speak to a supervisor. Most places you will call, are call centres, with untrained staff, following a set script. This is fine if everything is straight forward, but if you go off script they are unable and unqualified to help you. A word of warning with call centre staff, and direct Insurers, if it is not in writing, it did not happen. They will always revert to the policy conditions in a dispute, I think a few people here discovered this some years back when some call centre staff said Track days were covered, but this was later denied, and there was nothing in writing... (was it Liverpool & Vic ???).

On the issue of flawed logic, yes I agree that the logic used is crude at best, but let me offer you a business proposition, ..... I give you £500 and in turn you guarantee to meet all the potential damage that I can do in the course of the next year in a 1400 kg missile that can do 165 mph +, does 0 - 60 in sub 5 sec (and how often do we test that particular one..... ) and of course you can trust me, I am not a drug crazed space cadet with orbital objectives.....

Its a sh..ty business, but I wouldn't do it.....