PDA

View Full Version : Driver Training

Senninha
14-08-2006, 02:36 PM
All,

I've had a quick search but couldn't find any answers.

Has anyone here invested in some good driver training? I'm not looking for the opportunity to drive a ferrari or other, why would I as I own an NSX!

I'm looking for someone who will teach the benefits of balance, braking, gears and steering control so as to better appreciate Honda's hard work.

I've enjoyed track days with Palmersport in Bedford but this is not what I'm looking for. I've done the basic handling course with Lotus at Hethel when I owned my Elise; they do offer a more in depth course that covers the areas I'm interested in.

http://www.grouplotus.com/media/car/oth/Driver%20Training%202006.pdf

With a number of owners using their NSX's on track, I'm sure some of you wil have paid for quality training and I would appreciate your thoughts on the courses/instructors.

I live in Essex but dont mind travelling for the right training. As a preference I would prefer to do this training in a vehicle provided by the training centre rather than my NSX.

Thanx in advance

Paul

blue5
14-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Paul,

I have done the driver training course at Lotus on the test track at Hethel and can reccomend it.

Ther eis another which i am thinking of going on on the 25th of August at snetterton run by Motorsports vision (j palmer) and it costs £395.

The chap from MSV said the am session is with an instructor in their VX220 turbos then a classroom session and the pm is the instructor with you in your car.

The content is about car control and dynamics and finding the best lines.

It sounded good to me.

If you want any more info on what the lotus course was like pm me and i'll call you.

Papalazarou
14-08-2006, 04:04 PM
It's a shame no-one does a course where you get a chance to drive one of their cars then drive your own at the end to see how much you have learnt.

Cheers,

James.

blue5
14-08-2006, 04:11 PM
James,

see above

Tom.

Papalazarou
14-08-2006, 04:55 PM
I so can't read. Makes me wonder how much information just flies over my head and never finds its way into my fragile little mind. :shock:

Cheers,

James.

Senninha
14-08-2006, 05:07 PM
James,

Its this attention to detail of yours that results in all your wonderfully enlightening comments :wink: :lol:

regards

Paul

QuietJim
15-08-2006, 03:33 PM
I've done both Lotus driver training courses at Hethel and they were excellent - one enduring memory is Alastair McQueen sliding out of the hairpin, leaves from the hedge batting the wing mirror while he was turned looking at me explaining what was happening. Excellent :D I believe the course is run at Rockingham nowadays but is essentially the same.

I'm sure I've learnt the most from Don Palmer though. He does courses with 2-3 people, tailored to you, using your own car (though I see from his ads that nowadays you can drive a range of super-ish cars too). Don is a fabulous teacher/trainer and makes you learn by asking you the appropriate questions, rather than just telling you what to do. I've done three courses with him, one at MIRA (sadly not running any more) and two at Bruntingthorpe, and he also does on-the-road training if that's more your bag. He's not cheap compared to other driving days, but you get a LOT of one-to-one tuition and you definitely get good value. See his site at www.drivingdevelopment.co.uk (http://www.drivingdevelopment.co.uk).

Here's a picture Don himself took of me on one of his days 8)

http://www.forwardcharm.co.uk/images/misc/evocough.jpg

Nick Graves
15-08-2006, 07:02 PM
I've not done it, but Don Palmer was well-respected amongst the S2000 brigade.

amo
15-08-2006, 07:42 PM
well not done any of them but done a coures as im a paramedic we do a 3 weeks full on driving coures plus theory with all the exams
similer to wot the police traffic do
should be some 1 out there that do a more intensive 1

thx amo

Rob_Fenn
16-08-2006, 12:14 PM
We are in Kent and Roberto Giordanelli meets us at trackdays all over the country. He is both an journalist for Auto Italia and an official instructor at Thruxton. He can certainly handle an NSX! He's also a very nice bloke...

http://www.roberto-giordanelli.com/

Alternatively, Plans Motorsport do driver training at the Top Gear circuit or wherever you want to go.

jaytip
19-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Not sure if it was in this months Evo or this weeks Autocar,but someone wrote in asking a similar question.
The reply was that there is a week long course run at silverstone driving a single seater.It costs a whopping £2600 BUT at the end of the course you get a racing licence and you get to keep all the protective gear needed to go racing.So my guess is it would improve a track newbies driving no end.

NSX 2000
19-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Its in ASK THE EXPERTS section of EVO, September 2006 issue, still available at your local retailer!

minime
20-08-2006, 12:02 PM
hi all
i am nsx wannabe...i currently have a highly modified vx220 but have had the pleasure of driving a nsx:)

as far as training goes i would suggest having a one to one with graham at plansmotorsport ...they are based at the top gear track at dunsfold near guildford. at the moment they are organising a stig challenge event which basically means around an hours tution and then 6 laps having a go at stigs time! and this is all without any other car on the track!

i have had training there with graham and can recommend it