PDA

View Full Version : General discussion forum?

AR
10-08-2006, 08:07 AM
I am posting a link here to a post from the NSXCB Website discussion as not as many members visit that forum. If anyone else thinks it will be a good idea to have this sort of forum here please reply with your opinion.

Cheers

AR

http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=1691

jaytip
10-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes from me.

AR
10-08-2006, 12:05 PM
Could a moderator please merge the two threads?

Cheers

AR

AR
10-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Poll added to the topic.

Cheers

AR

Lankstarr
10-08-2006, 01:32 PM
I've always just taken the General NSX discussion to be the general discussion forum!

I think yes - was looking for somewhere to post pics of my new puppy but ended up thinking I have enough nonchalant comments on here already!

It may contain some more childish banter which would be good to help keep a smile on my face when working.. but may preferably be ignored by those with less time looking to purely browse NSX topics.

I can't see why people would want to object... they don't HAVE to look at it!!!

Papalazarou
10-08-2006, 01:37 PM
I think it would be good news, especially for people trying to increase their post ratings! :shock: :lol: You know who you are.

Cheers,

James.

Lankstarr
10-08-2006, 03:52 PM
put your vote where your mouth is Papa!

What percentage do we need to get the motion passed?

I suppose no voters can be taken as no preference

Kevin
10-08-2006, 04:43 PM
I thought about this when I started the site. Then I thought, this is a NSX site, and so stuff should be related. There's plenty of places on the web to talk about crap - err I mean other things. I don't want the site to become like some others or even like Pistonheads. There's plenty general car chat and other stuff there.

However I do realise there are people here who have made friends with each other and there is some scope for people to chat about other things non-NSX related. I've been fairly leanient with 'regulars' posting about non-NSX stuff.

I have considered this before, and planned to do it, but I didn't want to take up space and bandwidth on something non-NSX. So what I was going to do was set up a forum that also deletes posts after they are say 14-30days old. This way a public chat can take place, but it won't affect the servers long term.

This will mean I will be less leanient in the NSX Discussion forums!

AR
10-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Thanks for making this possible Kevin.

Cheers

AR

TheQuietOne
10-08-2006, 05:36 PM
It's a yes from me and a thank you to Kevin for all his time and effort in making the site happen.

Lankstarr
10-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Kevin - a thought

just to try and keep everyone happy (you seem so good at it!) and only if it were easy maybe you could restrict the 4 new posts bit on the homepage so that it excludes posts from the general discussion forum. I don;t know what others think but if people want to chat and share stuff they can go to general discussion forum, those that just want to keep an eye on new interesting nsx posts can do so on the home page updates.

If this is not possible then maybe making the list of recently posted topics a bit longer would help?

What do people think?

I am for the general discussion forum but use the homepage links a lot and could see them getting bogged down with people chatting in general discussion (now that should be reserved for pm tut tut!).

Like always I don't want much do I!!?

Senninha
10-08-2006, 07:28 PM
I have considered this before, and planned to do it, but I didn't want to take up space and bandwidth on something non-NSX. So what I was going to do was set up a forum that also deletes posts after they are say 14-30days old. This way a public chat can take place, but it won't affect the servers long term.

Kevin,

As has already been said, thanx for setting up this new facility over and above the great service the site already offers us all.

Re your comment above, I was just looking through the site and it strikes me that there may be addition server space you could save (I'm asumming everything we see on the site needs some server space :? ). The forum heading NSX Technical appears twice. Firstly under Discussions section and secondly under Resources, where it has just 3 posts.

If this does in fact use space, would it help to consolidate these into the discussions section (where I think most of go anyway). You could then move Dealer related into the Vendors section enabling you to do away with the resources section altogether.

Hope this helps in some way

Regards

Paul

forumadmin
11-08-2006, 06:19 AM
I'll have a look at the homepage thing. Though that is code provided by the content system I use (which needs updating, if I ever get round to it).

Also the 'other' Technical section was meant to be provided by me as a reference of technical info. The Tech Discussion is open for everyone, the smaller one is more like a FAQ, of facts.

Again the time and will to keep that up to date seems to have slipped.

Maybe I should remove some of these other sections.

I usually wait till winter to do the web site updates and changes, when I can't be outside.