PDA

View Full Version : How fast does it go mister?

QuietJim
08-08-2006, 03:48 PM
I now know the answer to that question :lol:

Anyone care to take a guess? 1991 imported Type S (allegedly), no engine mods, low ground spoiler thingies that may or may not make a difference. Didn't hit the limiter in top but I don't think it was going to go any faster...

Any guesses? Anyone else done the same?

TheQuietOne
08-08-2006, 04:22 PM
I'd say 180...if you have a look there is a recent thread on here discussing this and a lot of technical mumbo jumbo from Darren (CTRL...) and Steve (TRACKD...) about the theoretical top speed achievable.

I have seen the pic in person of a certain member's speedo indicating 187 though...

Come on then what was it?

Matt.

QuietJim
08-08-2006, 04:37 PM
Just found that other thread, thanks for that. It seems mine isn't as quick as all those - the GPS had it at only 160. Having GPS-tested a handful of other cars, it seems normal for a speedo to overread by about 10% (though mine actually underreads by about 8%!) so on a regular speedo that would be about 175. It was surprisingly solid and felt like it would do that all day, and the braking was frankly brilliant from that speed. Most impressive.

This was on the way back from the Ring yesterday - I was following a mate who knows the area well and he signalled to me when the good speedy bit of the autobahn was coming up - and I was fortunate enough to have a 3 mile clear gap with no traffic. Honour is satisfied, I don't need to do it again, I just wanted to share the nice warm glow from maxing my car :)

AR
08-08-2006, 04:39 PM
I now know the answer to that question :lol:

Anyone care to take a guess? 1991 imported Type S (allegedly), no engine mods, low ground spoiler thingies that may or may not make a difference. Didn't hit the limiter in top but I don't think it was going to go any faster...

Any guesses? Anyone else done the same?

Sorry mate but the Type S was not introduced until 1997 so that sounds fishy.

Cheers

AR

Senninha
08-08-2006, 04:53 PM
I have seen the pic in person of a certain member's speedo indicating 187 though...

Yep, I've seen this too. Well done for sensibly finding the right peice of tarmac to 'max out your NSX'.

I know that this is subject to many things not least of which is weather and speedo accuracy, but the recent Le Mans trip saw mine get very close to this number (obviously don't tell SWMBO :roll: ). An undicated 160 is surprisingly easy to acheive in the 3.2 when conditions allow.

Enjoy that feeling and keep it safe.

regards

QuietJim
08-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Sorry mate but the Type S was not introduced until 1997 so that sounds fishy.
Hence the "allegedly" ... when I bought it I was under the impression that the Type S existed in Japan well before that and was only introduced in the UK later, but since then I've struggled to find the evidence to back it up. Is it possible to prove what mine is by looking up the chassis number somewhere? I don't have the original Japanese documentation.

Still happy with it though, even if it's only a regular one :)

AR
08-08-2006, 05:11 PM
Hi mate it is quite easy to start the process. Since the type S was introduce in 1997 as a 3.2 L 6 speed so if the car is not a 3.2 L 6 speed then it is not a type S.

Does it have the sill plates?

Does it have the Engine Cover and Recaros?

Does it have the steering wheel and shiftknob?

OEM HID headlights?

All these item are easily changeable, but it will cost topo much money for most to bother.

Markc is the expert on the type S as he has one and I am sure he will be able to help out on this.

Cheers

AR

simonprelude
08-08-2006, 05:29 PM
If you do a simple vehicle check then it comes back as manufactured in 1991 so according to the model information on prime then this was not build as a type S, however could have been converted so could assume type S status.

Easy ways, 5 speed / 6 speed, seats, engine 3.0 / 3.2 apart from all the dress up parts etc.

ctrlaltdelboy
08-08-2006, 06:11 PM
http://daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/dressup/typeS_plaque.cfm?focus=316

kowalski
08-08-2006, 07:20 PM
What time did you get on the ring, Jim? did you beat clarkson?!

leigh

markc
08-08-2006, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't call myself an expert but here goes....

The Type S/S Zero built from 1997-1999 effectively superceded the NA1 (3.0Ltr) Type R. Like the NA 1 and NA2 Type R's they were only ever officially sold on the Japanese domestic market (JDM).

The S Zero was the NA1 Type R's real replacement as it had similarly stiff suspension and came without airbags, A/C, T/C, cruise control, Stereo etc.
The Type S came with spring rates considerably stiffer than the standard car but less stiff than the Type R/Type S Zero.

Both had the lovely kevlar backed Recaro's and BBS alloys, Momo steering wheel (unless you spec'ed Cruise Control), gunmetal coloured teardrop shaped gearknob, HID headlamps, lightweight rear spoiler (how?), single pane engine/cabin glazing, metallic grey (rather than black) backed NSX door emblems, aluminium mesh engine cover & front & side intake grills and less soundproofing and rubbish carpet! Most of this spec was lifted from the NA1 Type R.

The Type S (probably the Zero as well if you really wanted) could also be had with any or all of the options mentioned above fitted, as mine has, and custom colours (as Imola Orange was in 1997) if it went through the "Custom Build" program where it also gained a differant door sill plate. However, like the Type S badge these can be purchased at a later date... http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1990

The Type S/Zero's were based on the "facelifted" 3.2Ltr 6spd cars build from 1997 (MY'98) commonly refered to as NA2.

Jim, as a JDM car yours will benefit from the lower gearing of these cars over their UK/Euro/US cousins. This may be why the speedo under reads by such a large amount (legally speedos should never under read) as the speed sensor convertor may simply have been replaced with UK one to effect the Kph to Mph conversion which wouldn't take into account the lower gearing! :? My car also has speed sensor convertor but as the 6spd cars all had the same ratios (except for the NA2 Type R) it still over reads (according to TomTom GPS) by about 5% at higher speeds.

Does your car have the alcantara dash and roof lining? A 1994 JDM car I viewed had this and I think it looks much better than the UK/Euro plastic finish. All NA1 Type R's have this trim as Ary (AR) will know. 8)

Were you able to note what revs you hit at your GPS measured 160Mph? Darren's handy gearing chart table should confirm the JDM ratios of your car. :D

Cheers

Mark

gumball
08-08-2006, 09:04 PM
The three or four times i've tried a v-max I always get to 162 exactly as I run out of space, its still pulling pretty strong so I like to think I can get to 170 at least in my old stock 92, but not in this power sapping hot weather, those of you who don't drive there nsx in the winter would be suprized how much faster it is on a winter morning.

simonprelude
08-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Roll on the next cold vmax, I'll be there trying to beat my previous 156 :)

The three or four times i've tried a v-max I always get to 162 exactly as I run out of space, its still pulling pretty strong so I like to think I can get to 170 at least in my old stock 92, but not in this power sapping hot weather, those of you who don't drive there nsx in the winter would be suprized how much faster it is on a winter morning.

dan the man
08-08-2006, 09:53 PM

leigh

yeah everyone keep going for times and wreck the place. How many deaths a year do u want before it closes down? Timing is ok but the whole clarkson and can i beat him thing is going daft. Too many people concentrating on times and not fun and lines.

sorry..rant over. :lol:

trackdemon
08-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Interesting, and not entirely surprising! 8) as thats pretty much what I'd expect. The other thread became a bit academic, as lots of 'stuff' was posted, but sadly no actual verified evidence of a 180mph+ run...

QuietJim
08-08-2006, 10:55 PM
Hi Leigh. I didn't actually time a lap, but I wasn't going for one anyway. I doubt I was close to ten minutes - eleven feels about right. I've plenty of experience of going quickly on a track so I don't think I would be in much danger of killing myself if I did go for a lap, but I'm just not familiar enough with the track yet to do that (it was my first visit). Also, there was plenty of stuff quicker than me out there, and I prefer to lose 5 seconds letting them past early than to leave it till the last moment to save time and let them get close to me, so I was losing probably half a minute each lap letting people past.

Were you able to note what revs you hit at your GPS measured 160Mph?
No, but judging from the howl I would guess 6500-7000 in fifth (which is top - no sixth gear). Another funny thing about my car is that the rev limiter is at about 7200, which can't be right. Would the rev counter underread with the speedo, or is that a really dumb question?

Type S has...
From that list, mine has the rear spoiler, driver's Recaro and badge, that's about it! Unfortunately there's no Alcantara on the dash. I guess it's standard!

It still attracted more attention at the Ring than the F430s and the Carrera GT though :lol:

AR
08-08-2006, 11:36 PM
I have not got the bottle but at 8K it has not cut out yet! Enough said, still it is faster than a E55AMG.

Cheers

AR