PDA

View Full Version : NSX type R question

gunner
05-08-2006, 06:02 PM
does anyone know how many were imported into the UK?Was it just the one?Thanks a lot.

kowalski
05-08-2006, 07:24 PM
I know Top Gear tested a pre-face lift UK type R in Dec 95, reg was L421 WMR but dont know what happened to it, maybe Simon will dig out more info with the database.

plus the later NA2 one that was on here (fuzilovs).

There were a few Japanese imports as well (plus the odd replica)

leigh

simonprelude
07-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Personally I only know of one (from the NA1's) AR has it now.

There were 2 NA2's in the UK, both were run by Honda for testing and the idea of bringing the type R to the UK, one was later sold (owner on here occasionally) and the second returned to Japan.

Then moving on to type S and S zero, I don't know of any of the latter, however I think there are only 2 type S's in the country at the moment.

kowalski
07-08-2006, 12:15 PM
The Top Gear type R (L421 WMR) was white so I think that was a different one to AR's, unless it was resprayed.

leigh

AR
07-08-2006, 12:58 PM
It is a different one, but most probably L421 WMR went back to Japan.

AR

markc
07-08-2006, 07:36 PM
Chaps,

The whereabouts of the cars the have worn L421 WMR have been discussed before, here.... http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=431&highlight=l421

I never did determine if the two Type S's pictured in the above thread were ever registered in the UK or if they were what happened to them.

I've since acquired a large format Japanese language brochure for the then new MY'97-98 3.2 Ltr 6spd cars. This brochure has lots of action shot pics of an Imola Orange Type S wearing reg L421 WMR and a Black Type S wearing the reg P888 RAM at what looks like the Nurburgring.

A couple of real "spotter" observations regarding these pics...
They do both appear to be Type S derivatives as they both have the unique BBS wheels and Recaro seats BUT they have UK number plate surrounds at the front and oddly UK rear bumpers with the much wider number plate gap. Also, neither car has headlamp washers or front fog lights but I don't believe the standard JDM cars came with these anyway.

The same brochure has some static studio shots of an Imola Orange Type S but this has the JDM front number plate mounting and more tellingly the JDM bumper (as my car has) suggesting it's definately not the same car!

So, these cars appear to be hybrid JDM Type S/UK cars. They were therefore possibly pre-production prototypes and if so they're likely to have since been subjected to the crusher! :cry:

I'm guessing that the registration L421 WMR is/was a Honda UK owned plate. It may well have featured on other Honda press cars as well but I have to say I've not noticed it myself. Has anyone else?

W.R.T to the White NA1 Type R that also wore L421 WMR, this car was tested in Performance Car Magazine October 1995 head to head with a Porsche 993 RS. I have a copy of this mag. I've never seen the December 1995 Top Gear mag with it it tho'... does anyone have a copy of this one? :)

Lastly, I viewed a Charlotte Green '94 NSX Type R at a prestige London car dealer back in 1998/99 (I think). I suspect this is the car now owned by Ary but obviously can't be sure. It certainly didn't have the Stack instruments etc when I saw it but if it isn't Ary's car there is/was another Charlotte Green NA1 Type R in the UK. 8)

Hey Simon, where's the other Type S? What colour is it? :D

I was planning to hook up with Ary and the Type R anyway so it'd be great to get the other Type S and perhaps Fusilov's NA2 Type R along for a group shot. 8)

Cheers

Mark

AR
07-08-2006, 07:47 PM
I am up for that Mark. BTW the car now has the type R gauge cluster. The Stack dash was purchased and installed in 1995 in Japan.

Cheers

AR

UltraViolet
07-08-2006, 08:46 PM
I have been helping the media company that is working on a Type R website for HUK - they would love to include the NSX-R on this and so if fuzilovs could be contacted and pointed in my direction, that would be great.

Sammy@HondaRevolutions.com

Thx

simonprelude
08-08-2006, 07:18 AM
This should show it, the images are blocked here so not sure if they even work or not.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=382730&hl=goodwood

??

Kitted NSX type s

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/lucky77_/100_0587.jpg

Hey Simon, where's the other Type S? What colour is it? :D

kowalski
08-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Thats Quietjims, he sometimes posts on here. I think he's over in Fleet.

I was at that track day and had a passenger ride in his, fantastic driver and great car.

leigh