PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty

Baz
04-08-2006, 02:23 PM
Hi all,

My Ascari red beauty has just turned three years old and although I appreciate our cars are normally extremely reliable I do worry about the potential costs involved should there be a future mechanical or electrical failure. I spoke to Bryan at Norton Way recently and he definitely advises I should take out an extended warranty. Trouble is, it's not exactly cheap! He has quoted me £925 for three years, £1125 if Honda Assistance is included. But then I suppose £375 per year is good value for total peace of mind. I would much apprecite the opinions of you good people.

Baz

WhyOne?
04-08-2006, 02:31 PM
It is good value IMHO.

I have just had the a/c compressor and associated clutch replaced under extended warranty - I belive the parts / labour for this would have cost in excess of £1500, so that is more than the cost of the warranty returned in one foul swoop!

Also good value when compared with other manufacturers extended warranties - I thin 1 yr's warrant on a BMW M3 is now over £800 :shock:

FRM70
04-08-2006, 02:41 PM
I've just taken out a years extra warranty as i'm in the same position as you, I did the ten monthly payments at 0% as it doesn't seem to hurt as much spread over time !
Although I hope not to have to use it I like to know it's there just in case.
I reckon some of the components could get quite expensive if they go bang !!!

Cheers

FRM70

DamianW
04-08-2006, 06:40 PM
I think the warranty is well worth it for piece of mind, and its one of the few things that isn't a total rip off.

jaytip
04-08-2006, 09:44 PM
plus it's probably less than 2% of the total cost of your car for three years peace of mind to look at it another way :wink:

AR
04-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Ivor is your avatar from the " All your base are belong to us video"???

Cheers

AR

AnArtist
04-08-2006, 11:21 PM
Trouble is, it's not exactly cheap! He has quoted me £925 for three years, £1125 if Honda Assistance is included. But then I suppose £375 per year is good value for total peace of mind.
Baz

Those lovely Audi people want £1580 for 1 year for the S8, this doesn't guarantee a 100% fix my experience!!

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these wonderful NSX things + a very fair sounding warranty!!!! :lol:
:D

Senninha
04-08-2006, 11:44 PM
I spoke to Bryan at Norton Way recently and he definitely advises I should take out an extended warranty. Baz

Do you need to have the car inspected/serviced prior to taking out the warranty and is there any age limit, claim limits? Is this a Honda warranty?

regards

jaytip
05-08-2006, 04:37 AM
Ivor is your avatar from the " All your base are belong to us video"???

Cheers

AR
I dunno to be honest with you mate.I had it as it is from a link off another board that i'm a member of.The link is to a website called bone your mother.com :oops: :oops: WARNING the website is NOT work safe.

Baz
05-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks for all your comments - I now feel very relaxed about parting with my cash!
And, to answer Senninha's question, it is a Honda warranty and covers all mechanical & electrical components (Cover level 1 - HN3 Guarantee Type). The only stipulation is that the car is regularly serviced by an approved garage - no problem for me as I will be using Norton Way as they are the nearest to me here in sunny Suffolk. I will check to see if there are age or claim limits and let you know.

Baz

Senninha
05-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Many Thanx Baz,

MIne has been serviced/MOT'd by Norton for most of its life (and will continue to be maintained by them) so Brian will know the car. I had the cambelts done just before Le Mans.

regards

Paul

sportyking
05-08-2006, 01:28 PM
The Honda extended warranty can be kept on the car until seven years old, then it's third party"not worth the paper they are printed on" warranties only after that. I think the original 90000 mile limit may still apply.

If it is continued from the main warranty no inspection is required but if there has been a break an inspection is required. What that entails I do not know but i would imagine a few quid on top of a service should cover it.

I do have a vague recollection of £300 being mentioned for the inspection but if it's true it was some time ago, I was told.

Some things are excluded, such as entertainment systems.