PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown cover

million miles
28-07-2006, 04:18 PM
As and when i get my NSX (fingers crossed) i will need UK breakdown cover and short term cover for trips to France and Germany, any recomendations for who is the best provider.

thanks

NoelWatson
11-03-2014, 07:56 PM
I am in the same boat - warranty running out next month. Am looking for UK and occasional trips to Europe. Any recommendations welcome

Thanks

Noel

drmikey
11-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Brittania Rescue (either direct or Via Asda) are very good for Europe. I pay about £150 a year for myself, my wife on any car we are driving in the UK and then a nominated car in Europe

havoc
11-03-2014, 08:40 PM
I've been with the RAC for years, been mostly happy. Not the cheapest (unless you can pay with ClubCard vouchers), but they tend to get better ratings than the competition. That and I won't touch the AA again since their stance on things like road pricing and speed cameras where you'd expect such an organisation to be pro-motorist, not pro-government...

Dragonlady
11-03-2014, 10:34 PM
We get full breakdown cover with our insurance policy and it covers overseas travel. Might be worth checking with your insurance if they offer this as it can be much cheaper than going direct.

Ian

TheSebringOne
11-03-2014, 11:56 PM
I am with Britannia rescue too with virtually the same policy that covers the driver & passenger rather than the car they are in. HTH

NoelWatson
12-03-2014, 06:44 PM
We get full breakdown cover with our insurance policy and it covers overseas travel. Might be worth checking with your insurance if they offer this as it can be much cheaper than going direct.

Ian

Thanks - currently looking at ~£120 for RAC cover via insurer

nobby
12-03-2014, 06:59 PM
ADAC ... Was able to get cover with them when I done my Switzerland/Germany tour

NoelWatson
12-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Britannia wins! Got a good placing here. Thanks all

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/65601/best-breakdown-cover

Pride
12-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Hi Noel before you finally commit to Britania rescue please read the following information.

The big problem with Britania rescue is that they organise a local garage to attend your breakdown in the area you are in.
That is a garage you are unfamiliar with and not all independent garages are the same nor trustworthy.

Also apart from a flat battery or changing a flat tyre with your spare, (the nsx space saver tyre would make them scratch their heads I bet) Britania rescue are not contracted to repair or even look at your vehicle at the roadside where as the RAC statistically repairs 8 out of 10 breakdowns they attend and even if they can't repair it because it's more serious, being a totally impartial organisation they will give you an idea as to what might be wrong so that you can tell you garage what might be wrong with it which is far better than just hooking you up and towing you to a garage, who also happen to be part of Britania rescue and Green Flag and all the other breakdown organisations out there, where they will then charge you the hourly rate to repair what the RAC might have been able to repair at the roadside, which is how Britania rescue garages make their money.
Particularly important when driving in Europe is the language barrier which can also be a major bone of contention with small independent garages which you will find if you breakdown.

With the RAC you not only have a very consistently trustworthy organisation that you can rely on every time you need assistance but you also have an English speaking communications link with the country in which you break down in.
For instance in Germany the RAC would call on ADAC, the equivalent of the RAC in their country not just a small independent garage looking to cash in on your unfortunate breakdown experience.

And Unlike any other breakdown organisation the RAC also give you peace of mind for illness or injury while driving in the UK, such as spraining an ankle on a kerb, if you call them they don't question that you are injured, they will pick you up with your car and take you to the nearest hospital in the area you are in, therefore you never need worry about having to leaving your car in a vulnerable parked situation while making your way to hospital.

Lastly I firmly believe you only get what you pay for with breakdown cover which is why RAC is slightly more expensive but offers you so much more than just price.

lotusolly
12-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Hi Pride,

Apologies if I have you mixed up with somebody else and not disputing your comments in any way but you really should post your connection to the RAC when making comments of that nature to let people make a fair a judgement of your advice which i'm sure is meant with the best intent.

Olly
Hi Noel before you finally commit to Britania rescue please read the following information
The big problem with Britania rescue is that they organise a local garage to attend your breakdown in the area you are in.
That is a garage you are unfamiliar with and not all independent garages are the same nor trustworthy.

Also apart from a flat battery or changing a flat tyre with your spare, (the nsx space saver tyre would make them scratch their heads I bet) Britania rescue are not contracted to repair or even look at your vehicle at the roadside where as the RAC statistically repairs 8 out of 10 breakdowns they attend and even if they can't repair it because it's more serious, being a totally impartial organisation they will give you an idea as to what might be wrong so that you can tell you garage what might be wrong with it which is far better than just hooking you up and towing you to a garage, who also happen to be part of Britania rescue and Green Flag and all the other breakdown organisations out there, where they will then charge you the hourly rate to repair what the RAC might have been able to repair at the roadside, which is how Britania rescue garages make their money.
Particularly important when driving in Europe is the language barrier which can also be a major bone of contention with small independent garages which you will find if you breakdown.

With the RAC you not only have a very consistently trustworthy organisation that you can rely on every time you need assistance but you also have an English speaking communications link with the country in which you break down in.
For instance in Germany the RAC would call on ADAC, the equivalent of the RAC in their country not just a small independent garage looking to cash in on your unfortunate breakdown experience.

And Unlike any other breakdown organisation the RAC also give you peace of mind for illness or injury while driving in the UK, such as spraining an ankle on a kerb, if you call them they don't question that you are injured, they will pick you up with your car and take you to the nearest hospital in the area you are in, therefore you never need worry about having to leaving your car in a vulnerable parked situation while making your way to hospital.

Lastly I firmly believe you only get what you pay for with breakdown cover which is why RAC is slightly more expensive but offers you so much more than just price.

Pride
12-03-2014, 09:35 PM
Just to let you know I did post a personal message to Noel explaining exactly that at the time of placing my comments on the open forum.

Senna88
13-03-2014, 12:29 AM
I'm with Brittania Rescue here too (on another car). I did break down in France and got sorted by a local garage at 4am in the morning and it was fine.

havoc
13-03-2014, 10:01 PM
To be fair to Pride I read similar comments (not on RAC website) when arranging Euro cover for my previous 2 trips. If it was a boggo saloon car I'd not be worried about the Britannia T&Cs, but can you imagine letting a backstreet French mechanic loose on an NSX?!?

Problem Child
14-03-2014, 07:45 PM
As and when i get my NSX (fingers crossed) i will need UK breakdown cover and short term cover for trips to France and Germany, any recomendations for who is the best provider.

thanks

Green Flag...excellent value even just for the number of times they have attended to my flat battery this winter alone! Always seem to get the same chap and he loves the NSX!!!

Pride
14-03-2014, 08:48 PM
Havoc, you've hit the nail on the head beautifully.
Being lucky enough to have owned and enjoyed for the last 15 years, to what in my opinion is the finest supercar ever made. So why would I dream of compromising on breakdown cover both in the UK and more importantly driving abroad.
Complete peace of mind where ever you go is a big part of the total NSX driving experience.