PDA

View Full Version : Mods that spoil an NSX

AR
28-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Just glancing over at Prime and can see a lot of things that IMO spoil an NSX:

Canards

Huge ICE installs, I am not talking an upgrade that the NSX needs nowadays, but a full million subs, LCD screens everywhere and ten amps style.

Wheels bigger than a size 18 on the front, specially if they are chrome and look that they belong on an SUV.

Extra low NSXs that never see a track

Badly made DIY engine covers

Racing pedals that are cosmetic only

Fake CF

Weird shape front fogs

Basically anything that is not functional and that just adds weigh to it.

So what mods do other members dislike?

Cheers

AR

DamianW
28-07-2006, 08:27 AM
I've great admiration for Kevin, Darren and others that have (at great expense I imagine) decided to turn their NSXs into trackday cars. They're modified for a purpose.

I personally hate the bling crap you see on Prime, I think it spoils the image of the NSX completely. There's no need for it, other than presumably to look good while you're dealing drugs.

gsuds
28-07-2006, 08:47 AM
Concur entirely - altho' personal taste (or lack thereof) does vary.....

Each to his own and all that - but I'm still happy to be judgemental!

These are the things that spoil any car, generally, but it does seem an extra shame on a relatively rare car like the NSX.

However, purpose-driven mods are well OK - people have been doing this for decades, creating track specials etc.

Graham

TheQuietOne
28-07-2006, 09:06 AM
I personally hate the bling crap you see on Prime, I think it spoils the image of the NSX completely. There's no need for it, other than presumably to look good while you're dealing drugs.

My car is 99% standard so I have no axe to grind but if I were someone from Prime with a few flashy mods (to fit in with their friends no doubt) who works their arse off to afford their car (and has already demonstrated taste in choosing an NSX over a Vette), I'd be pretty disappointed with that comment...there are other ways for people in the twenties to earn money you know.

My two favourite UK cars currently are Simon's and Leigh's...one standard in a stunning colour and the other about as perfectly modified as I could imagine...

Just my £0.02 of course :wink:

Nick Graves
28-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Just glancing over at Prime and can see a lot of things that IMO spoil an NSX:

Any wheels that weigh more than OEMs or are incorrectly sized/offset.

Cheers

AR

NSA
28-07-2006, 12:13 PM
On eBay a few weeks ago there was a black NSX convertible previously owned by Ice-T. I can't find it there now but that was a bit freaky.

Papalazarou
28-07-2006, 03:25 PM
That modified white picture of hell advertised on E-Bay about 2 months ago. Truly horrific. Especially the headlight conversion. Dog Dog Dog!!!

James.

P.s, Chrome.

kowalski
29-07-2006, 09:56 AM
My two favourite UK cars currently are Simon's and Leigh's...one standard in a stunning colour and the other about as perfectly modified as I could imagine...

Just my £0.02 of course :wink:

Cheers Matt! :lol:

leigh

jaytip
29-07-2006, 12:39 PM
The huge GT style rear spoilers are way over the top for me.
I don't have a problem with bigger wheels though because the standard wheels on an NSX just don't fill the arches enough both width ways and height ways.

Nick Graves
29-07-2006, 01:59 PM
That's right; they just do the job!

I know the 02+ wheels look more balanced than the earliest, but it's partly what we're used to - the first NSXs looked stunning in their day & still have an unmistakeable purity of line & function.

This fashion for big wheels that put appearance over function not only pisses off suspension engineers, it's become something of a bete noir of mine, too, I admit.

As for ersatz rear wings replacing the beautifully-integrated factory 'boothandle' - words fail. I've no problem with that stuff on a track car, but a road car, purleeese!

jaytip
29-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Don't get me wrong,there is nothing wrong with the factory 16/17s, they are a nice looking wheel(a bit dark though)the problem for me is the arches on the NSX are so big. If the factory had made them a bit smaller and the track a bit wider so that the wheels where flush with the bodywork and not "buried into the bodywork" as it were, then i would have no promlems with them.

Senninha
31-07-2006, 10:52 AM
Mmmm, an interesting topic and one that I'm sure will have some conflict.

Like many I bought mine with every intention of keeping as Honda intended. The NSX is a rare sight on our roads (which is good for us), so in my opinion if you're looking to modify the NSX then it should be 'personalised' in line with Honda's intentions.

Therefore, for me, if its not OEM (or a very closely modified version of OEM) it doesn't belong on the NSX (dedicated track weapons are a focused project and outside of this statement).

I too have looked at the various Prime conversions, wide bodies, 20" alloys, wild interiors and they do nothing for me. Those that have followed either the concours path or the 02/R upgrade path are the ones that work for me.

The key I believe is be subtle. The NSX makes a statement wherever it goes, I'm hoping the next NSX will continue the evolution (its works for the 911 and F cars) and its possible to freshen the NSX design without losing its purity.

Enjoy your NSX, enjoy making it your car and if you're modifying, then retain all the parts so that you always have the option to revert to standard should the time come to pass the keys to someone new.

JMTPW

regards

kowalski
31-07-2006, 12:01 PM
I think the two things that are wrong with the NSX, are the wheels for being too small, and the exhaust for being too quiet.

I know Honda compromised the car to make it a fast but comfortable daily driver, but I think it needed more prescence. The original wheels looked cheap IMO and could have come from a civic. Same with the standard exhaust note, it doesnt sound like a Supercar.

The larger wheels although giving a harsher ride, improve the cornering grip and fill the arches better. As long as you keep the weight of the new wheels close to or below the standards.

Just my opinion, I agree with not having a bigger wing or changing the aesthetics too much, although I did change out the plastic side intake vents for mesh ones.

leigh

britlude
31-07-2006, 05:40 PM
it's the same story in ALL corners of car enthusiasts. some will frown on ANY change from the factory original, while others relish the opportunity to personalise their cars.

for the record i've binned the stock 15/16 wheels as they just look too damn small, i'm now on 17/18's and am not fussed about the weight gain, as I don't intend tracking or driving like a lunatic. Also, I've lost the original tailpipes as they were horrible, and fitted a nice set of twin tips, from halfrauds of all places!

bottom line is, if it's your car, you can do what you like to it. if you want big wheels/ huge wing/ paint it dayglo orange/ whatever makes you happy, you can, and don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it. (unless it's just plain dangerous!, how's that for covering myself!)

If they all looked/stayed the same what would we have to aspire to/moan about!

then again, what do I know, my other car is based on a 59 year old design!

Accelera Comigo
31-07-2006, 05:41 PM
The modification I used to hate was the greasy hand print on the driver's window where someone had leaned against it to look in.

Accelera Comigo

Rob_Fenn
02-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Prime has some great cars, but has been said, there are some very OTT ones. I'm astounded to see NSXs with 20 inch wheels, it just doesn't work.

jaytip
02-08-2006, 11:36 AM
I'm astounded to see NSXs with 20 inch wheels, it just doesn't work.
Define what you mean by "does not work"?
If someone buys an NSX because it looks good,is relatively cheap,and is rare,and want's it for bling purposes as oppossed to the handling then 20" wheels work perfect.
As the saying goes"one man's meat is another man's poison"

ctrlaltdelboy
02-08-2006, 03:16 PM
*tries desperately to hold back the sniggering at Jaytip talking about 'one man's meat'....

:lol:

Papalazarou
02-08-2006, 05:04 PM
This site gets gayer by the minute!

Cheers,

James.

ctrlaltdelboy
02-08-2006, 06:08 PM
here's a mod that most of us would probably like to acquire, and which might repair James' concerns re the gayness

clicky link for 'not work-friendly' picture (http://www.trashygirls.com/tgirls/imgs/girls/newgirls/1045858159_Ria%20Armas_naked%20on%20nsx.jpg)

Papalazarou
02-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Perhaps, although it seems like an over-compensation to me.
Nice finish though. I wonder if she has an orange engine bay?! :lol:

Cheers,

James.

ctrlaltdelboy
02-08-2006, 06:14 PM
seems like an over-compensation to me.
damn, seen right through me - I've been outed by tha papa :shock:

:D

megahertz
02-08-2006, 09:26 PM
...them snorkels

jaytip
03-08-2006, 10:55 AM
*tries desperately to hold back the sniggering at Jaytip talking about 'one man's meat'....

Come on now Darren,we are all adults on this board.We should be sble to "rise" above such remarks, lol :D :D

kowalski
03-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Dont worry Darren, we always suspected! :wink:

And I can recall another one of us saying they were partial to hotpants!?

leigh

AR
03-08-2006, 07:14 PM
This is why we need a General Disscusion forum, because it is fun.

Cheers

AR

Lankstarr
07-08-2006, 03:42 PM
Just my opinion, I agree with not having a bigger wing or changing the aesthetics too much, although I did change out the plastic side intake vents for mesh ones. leigh

you cheeky git - I never even noticed :wink:

didn't get a chance to hear your supercar noise mate - rumour has It I really missed out... make sure you give me a blast next time :D

L*

Lankstarr
07-08-2006, 03:44 PM
Also, I've lost the original tailpipes as they were horrible, and fitted a nice set of twin tips, from halfrauds of all places!

was that a screw off screw on job? - I too hate the standard pipes and would like to temporarily replce until I can get something to replace the whole system.

Senninha
07-08-2006, 03:53 PM
didn't get a chance to hear your supercar noise mate

I had the pleasure of listening to this yesterday, it really is just like following a race car :shock:

Lankstarr
07-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Missed out on the Sussex meet as well - another chance gione begging!

I'm in Basingstoke so would be up for a nice dinner and some chit chat next time you do a meet... might even bring along the new puppy !

ctrlaltdelboy
07-08-2006, 04:08 PM
was that a screw off screw on job? - I too hate the standard pipes and would like to temporarily replce until I can get something to replace the whole system.

it's a cut-off & weld-on job

jaytip
07-08-2006, 04:36 PM
I got mine from halfords.I didn't weld them on,they were fixed with a U shaped clamp and bolts.You do need to cut the original exaust down though.

britlude
07-08-2006, 05:06 PM
sorry was away for the weekend with the toy!!!

My tailpipes were more of a trim down, and modified clamp-on, as I didn't like the horrible u-bolts they came with... Do you know the original tailpipes are more of a sleeve, the actual exhaust effectively passing straight thru them!

kowalski
07-08-2006, 05:20 PM
Dont worry Lankstar, I think were going to do the Sussex mid week meet on a regular basis (hopefully!) and maybe the Goodwood breakfast club as well. I might be able to pop over to the hampshire meet as well.

I think as we all have trouble getting to a big national meets the smaller regional pub meets might be the way to go.

As for the mesh, if you look at the wheel refurbishment thread in technical, you can see a pic of the mesh side vents.

After seeing Sennihas new wing on S2 I might have to change my mind about bigger wings, looked really good. I think Steve (lotusolly) has the same one. Very tempting.

leigh

Lankstarr
07-08-2006, 05:34 PM
IMO if you ar egoing the wing way then that is the only wing to put on. I'm sure it wont look as good on a red car as it does on Paul's.

Lankstarr
07-08-2006, 05:38 PM
My tailpipes were more of a trim down, and modified clamp-on, as I didn't like the horrible u-bolts they came with... Do you know the original tailpipes are more of a sleeve, the actual exhaust effectively passing straight thru them!

Sounds do - able for an amaturish DIY person ;o) time to start hunting for trims I think... I wonder what the stability is like with those little clamps at high speed!? only a weld will keep em on after the magical 150 - I heard even aerials snap off at those speed :lol:

Is your car an import? Rear bumper looks different as you don't seem to have the bolt on number plate surround.

Also is it just me or does jaytip's brookland green nsx look suspiciously purple!?

britlude
07-08-2006, 05:58 PM
I was going to put a couple of welds if they worked loose, but seem ok at the moment... haven't tested them at speed, LOL, I work on the premise that if you are going fast, ppl can't appreciate the shape of the car!
..... that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

Yes, it's a JDM import, a few subtle differences here and there.

jaytip
07-08-2006, 06:15 PM
Also is it just me or does jaytip's brookland green nsx look suspiciously purple!?
Thats because it is(was) purple/blue/brown :D
this is the back end of my new one

AR
07-08-2006, 07:10 PM
If the tips you are going to use are the slip on type, the you can alwais drill and tap a few screws through both pipes.

I believe that is how the originals are secured on UK cars. The NSX type-R is a welded affair, I think the round tailpipes on some cars from other markets are also welded.

If you are going to get the tips, pay a welder, etc, it will soon turn into a hundred quid job.

Just for looks it seems a waste, unless you really like the sound of the OEM exhaust.

JMHO

Cheers

AR

britlude
07-08-2006, 09:22 PM
changed mine as the originals look horrible (and dated!) and they were dented anyway. I fancied quad pipes, but wasn't going to pay hundreds for a quad-tipped system, so 60 quids worth of tips suit me fine (that's for the pair!) if/when the exhaust rusts away, I'll probably make my own system anyway, in true hot-rodding tradition!

the original tips are purely cosmetic, serving absolutely no purpose other than looks! and they have 1 clamping bolt for fitting, tho i'm sure everyone elses will be as rusted solid as mine!

ctrlaltdelboy
07-08-2006, 10:24 PM

that's Ivor's previous NSX which was indeed purple

pics here
http://nsxcb.co.uk/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=129

QuietJim
08-08-2006, 03:43 PM
I've never been too sure about the spoilers on mine. They look OK but don't half ruin the ground clearance. I found out the hard way on Sunday that I don't have the clearance to take the proper line round the Karrussell... :oops: