PDA

View Full Version : Recommended garages for NSX work?

goldtop
25-10-2017, 10:35 AM
As I've now got the NSX out of storage and am driving it daily, I'm making a list of niggles that need investigation/work. You know the sort of things: slow window motors, one blown dashboard illumination light, some gearbox whine, intermittent TCS light (only when starting), etc.

But as I'd much rather do my day job than get oil under my fingernails, I'd like to present the car and list to an NSX-savvy garage (our Kaz being inevitably busy, I presume).

So can anyone here suggest someone in the East Midlands to East Anglia/Essex area?

flyingsniffer
25-10-2017, 10:50 AM
A lot of these threads tend to point owners towards Norton Way Honda in Letchworth: they certainly look after annual servicing, MOT etc on my car and there's usually a few cars around their parking lot. I seem to recall that they have a few techs that underwent initial NSX training way back when.

As well as routine stuff, they also fixed a gearbox speed sensor for me and a slow/noisy window.

goldtop
25-10-2017, 12:53 PM
Thanks for nudging my memory. I had forgotten about them. Not too far from Cambridge, either.

I guess the downside is HUK spares prices unless they are happy to fit bits I source?

goldtop
25-10-2017, 02:09 PM
Hmmm... looking at Kaz' advice on the crank pulley, I dug through my service documents and can see that it wasn't changed by Plans during the timing belt replacement. So that's another niggle on the to-do list.

So far, I'm up to:
* slow windows
* one dashboard bulb blown
* some whining in 1st
* some vibration felt at idle
* TCS lamp comes back on (intermittently) at start-up
* possible minor oil leak (evidence on drive!)
* crank pulley replacement
* AC regas (hopefully!)

Hagasan
25-10-2017, 07:30 PM
Thanks for nudging my memory. I had forgotten about them. Not too far from Cambridge, either.

I guess the downside is HUK spares prices unless they are happy to fit bits I source?

Barry,

NW have in the past been happy fitting customer supplied OEM parts (as well as the odd aftermarket item) from my personal experience. I haven't been there for a couple of years though. Would be best just to confirm still OK with Bryan Smith, the service manager. Definitely keeps the final bill down..

Gary

Problem Child
25-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Barry,

NW have in the past been happy fitting customer supplied OEM parts (as well as the odd aftermarket item) from my personal experience. I haven't been there for a couple of years though. Would be best just to confirm still OK with Bryan Smith, the service manager. Definitely keeps the final bill down..

Gary

Bryan is still there. I use them for all servicing and MOT etc and they have always been happy to use parts that I source. I generally find that the savings from me sourcing the parts, pays for the labour they charge

exiges1
25-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Another vote for NW. They carried out a lot of the initial work on my NSX when I bought it, no issues, good communication.
As Gary suggested talk to Bryan. I was given a discount on parts at the time so worth asking him about what’s on offer.

havoc
25-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Not sure if they're too far away but myself and Kirit (orange NA2) both use Listers Stratford-upon-Avon. They take care with the cars and know enough about them, plus they've always been fine with supplied parts (OEM or after-market).

If you do decide to head over this way, drop me a line, happy to meet for a cuppa while you're waiting...

goldtop
26-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Thanks all - I will speak to Bryan and then get it down to Norton Way. As it is in Letchworth, it's even accessible by train if they don't do a courtesy car.

Extra items on the list:
* driver's door-open sensor NG
* fuel filler cap not smoothly aligned with bodywork
* possible wheel refurb

These are the sorts of middle-age niggles I live with on the old Lexus, but I think ought to be put right on the NSX.

goldtop
26-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Out of interest, do we know what Honda's official fix for the infamous slow window operation is? I presume they replace the mechanism.

It may be better if I buy from Lings (same for the crank pulley).

Hagasan
26-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Out of interest, do we know what Honda's official fix for the infamous slow window operation is? I presume they replace the mechanism.

Barry if you're not in a crazy rush (week or three) then look at the www.nsx shop.com The guy running it, Marc Perez has been selling parts direct from Japan at very good prices. Less than half HUK prices. I bought about £6.5k (UK prices) worth of parts for about £2.5k I bought a window regulator and crank pulley in my purchase. I don't have the paperwork to hand but the window regulator was something like £550 against £250. Of course there is shipping and taxes but he can ease the "pain" of that if you discuss. Also contactable on Facebook by name.

NSXGB
26-10-2017, 12:15 PM

Lings shouldn't be better priced than Norton Way, I'd speak with Bryan about a deal on parts. Better still, you will save a lot on parts like the CP if you buy from Japan or the USA direct. Plenty of options available buying abroad at the moment.

goldtop
26-10-2017, 01:28 PM
Thanks chaps. I also saw that Tegiwa (a forumite) has the crank pulley at £300 insead of Lings/HUK's £500+. Nice to keep as much of it in the club as possible. I also had a look at that nsxshop site - work in progress, it seems. I will call and see what sort of time slot NW has available.

Hagasan
26-10-2017, 02:58 PM
Thanks chaps. I also saw that Tegiwa (a forumite) has the crank pulley at £300 insead of Lings/HUK's £500+. Nice to keep as much of it in the club as possible. I also had a look at that nsxshop site - work in progress, it seems. I will call and see what sort of time slot NW has available.

The nsxshop website might not be very detailed but Marc will get all the parts. The best way is just to supply him with the part numbers which you can get from Lings. He'll come back with the prices and if you want go ahead he'll send you a link connected to the website which will contain an itemised invoice. Then just pay (you can use a credit card so are protected) and wait on the parts.
If you're on Facebook then just message him on the Messenger service. He's usually extremely quick replying.... I got all my parts a few months ago for some extensive future work.

Nick Graves
26-10-2017, 05:26 PM
Bryan Smith is a good guy of course, being an NSX-nut. I'm sure he'll 'adjust' the invoice for you.

I often supply a box of goodies (often with Acura on it, strangely) and they're happy to fit. Especially since the plastic bags actually have 'Honda' on them.

You have to be a bit careful with Acura prices though; I looked at a timing kit for the Leg End and overall, the saving wasn't worth the aggro. Something like the crank pulley was really expensive and cancelled out the rest of the savings. Or it was the sheer weight of the damned thing...

A JDM-source would probably be better, depending on what the JPY is up to...

drmikey
28-10-2017, 11:43 AM
I believe there are now some issues with Marc Perez and the nsx shop in that he has moved back to Canada. He says the shop is still going but not sure how viable that is

I have regular shipments from Japan. If you need OEM Honda parts let me know, they are significantly cheaper than UK.

duncan
31-10-2017, 05:20 PM
http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by goldtop http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.nsxcb.co.uk/showthread.php?p=125120#post125120)

As Hagasan said ". . . the window regulator was something like £550 against £250. Of course there is shipping and taxes but he can ease the "pain" of that if you discuss. . . .", I bought earlier this year on eBay from a Japanese seller trading under the name of wwwisicarcom
The Regulator was £252 plus his P&P [£25], UK customs [£7.64], Import VAT [£52.48] and a clearance fee [£13.50] so a total £350, his quoted HUK figure is accurate. Don't bother looking for these parts from the US as they are different between LHD and RHD cars.
HOWEVER,
a kit from Hugabuga see the Vendor section below may suffice if speed is the issue. The fitment of these will speed the window[s] up and down. I ran one for 5+ years to speed up the windows with no problems. They were a common modification when first brought to the market.
My reason for replacement was that the cable jumped on the spool a couple of times and eventually jammed and twisted itself beyond repair.

goldtop
01-11-2017, 08:49 PM
Thanks chaps - parts on order. The Japanese chap has put up his prices and Tegiwa weren't too far away from the total, so I've opted for them. Now to Norton Way...