PDA

View Full Version : 7 weeks on

indi pearl
26-07-2006, 02:33 PM
3 years of waiting to get the right model and 7 weeks of ownership.What a great car!I think she will outlast my last love (now in the hands of my wife), a pristine late'98 model Lotus Isuzu which,like Indi was bought with the heart.
One question please.Indi is a late '96 Targa.The factory fitted(?) alarm/imobaliser does not correspond to the owners manual so I have no description of options (if any) of inalternative settings.The system appears to be volumetric with sensors either side of the front screen and, since the boot is allso covered there must be some type of sensor inside.My query is; can you set only the imobaliser when leaving the car with the targa off or does one have to leave the car unprotected.The only control I am aware of is the key operated master switch inside the glove box but this would seem to only switch the entire system on or off.

NSXGB
26-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I thought the glovebox key or (valet key) was to disable the airbag? Please correct me....

TheQuietOne
26-07-2006, 04:10 PM
Just READ the post and realised I have no idea what I am talking about...I hope someone on here has!

Sorry,

Matt.

NSXGB
26-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Are you saying the car has a factory alarm installed or an aftermarket one?

can you set only the imobaliser when leaving the car with the targa off or does one have to leave the car unprotected

Presumably, if it's an aftermarket job, it will be Thatcham 1 rated for insurance purposes and will auto arm the immobiliser after 30 seconds. If you lock the car with the key and walk away, job done? I'm no alarm expert (you'll have to try it) but I don't think it will auto arm the volumetric sensors.

andyds2k
26-07-2006, 08:53 PM
I don't know if this help, but on my S2000 if you press the arm button a second time after the indicators have stop flashing it turns the sensors off, for when you have the top down. Not yet owning an NSX :cry: I don't know about NSX alarms.

jaytip
27-07-2006, 12:50 AM
I don't know if this help, but on my S2000 if you press the arm button a second time after the indicators have stop flashing it turns the sensors off, for when you have the top down. Not yet owning an NSX :cry: I don't know about NSX alarms.
The alarm on my car does that.unfortunately it's not a factory fitted alarm so i can't help either.
Try setting the alarm with the roof off,wait for it to arm and then put your hand in the cabin to see if it goes off.

indi pearl
27-07-2006, 08:53 AM
Thank you all.To be more specific;

1. I am certain the alarm/immobaliser system is standard factory.
2. The only control is a single set/unset button "bleeper".
3. There is a red diode next to the handbrake that flashes every few
seconds once armed.
4. If the sytem is set with the roof off it goes off with air movement.
5. The glovebox keyed switch definatly shuts down the system.

I will try the double "blip" tonight to see if it works.What do other
Targa owners do if leaving the car parked with the roof off?

NSXGB
27-07-2006, 09:49 AM
You will find a lot of info on http://www.nsxprime.com about the factory alarm.

simonprelude
27-07-2006, 10:08 AM
The only thing I can think of is if you lock the car, press the button again very quickly after and see what the indicators flash as ?? Or hold the button down ??

If not then you might not be able to leave the roof off and car alarmed ??

Clive
30-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Are you sure it has a factory fitted alarm? As far as I'm aware, Honda did little for the UK market models. My 93 coupe had nothing as standard, ditto my 96 - it now has an aftermarket, and my 99 had only a factory fitted immobilizer but no alarm or plip locking.

jaytip
30-07-2006, 06:36 PM
Are you sure it has a factory fitted alarm? As far as I'm aware, Honda did little for the UK market models. My 93 coupe had nothing as standard, ditto my 96 - it now has an aftermarket, and my 99 had only a factory fitted immobilizer but no alarm or plip locking.
They definately do them,i had one on my 92.I don't know if it was factory fitted or fitted at a later date by a honda dealer though,but it is a Honda alarm.