PDA

View Full Version : Just how bad is the NSX radio reception?

WhyOne?
24-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi........time for me to start asking all sorts of irritating questions I am afraid :oops:

I have had a good root about using the sites search facility (which is a good deal better than the one on S2ki!!!)

I have read various posts stating that the radio reception on the stock Bose / OEM aerial set up isn't terribly good.

I live / drive in SE England where transmission strengths are generally pretty good. However the radio in my NSX (2001 car) will not receive any stations on MW (yes......I know.......but I like to listen to Radio 5 Live in the mornings :roll: ) and whilst it will pick up and hold a few FM stations, buy no means all that are available (for example, even a manual tume to Virgin radio results in nothing more than 'noise')

Is this normal, or do you think there is a problem somewhere?

Thanks in advance for your patience and help.

gsuds
24-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Yes, must admit I found reception not too hot on std. setup, tuners prob better now than at time of design...changed mine for an Alpine.

Graham

TheQuietOne
24-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Hi,

I know your car has the Smartenna fitted, check it is connected properly, and that the aerial is actually going up...mine sometimes is a little slow and I get pretty much the same experience as you describe with no aerial at all...I listen to Radio 5 all the time on 693 on mine and it is perfect - can also get 198 for the cricket.

Hope that helps...

Matt.

WhyOne?
24-07-2006, 03:06 PM
Thanks Matt, Graham.

Matt - the aerial is going up at the appropriate times, so I guess the Smartenna is doing its stuff. I am also encouraged that 5 Live is not necessarily lost to me forever!!!

I wondered about a bad aerial connection, but I assumed this would manifest itself as a crackly or intermittent reception. If the aerial has become completely disconnected, would you expect the scenario I currently have (i.e. a few FM stations tuning, but that is about it???) - was this your experience with no aerial connected at all Matt?

blue5
24-07-2006, 03:10 PM
Strange as it may seem mine works perfectly and i have no complaints (there you should have bought mine!!!) :wink:

Now more to the point why as a new owner are you trying to listen to the radio!!

Hope all is fine and dandy with you, i will bet the fuel consumption is still in the low 20's if you know what i mean :D :D

WhyOne?
24-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Hi Tom,

Guilty as charged!

Though in my defence it was only early this morning (3 days after collection) that I started faffing with the radio to get my (week)daily fix of what gloom doom and dispondency is happening in the world! At least I now know the radio has the potential to get 5 live. All I have to do now is work out how to get at the aerial connections.

As for fuel consumption......errrrrr....sub 20 mph......very sub 20 :oops: . I sincerly hope that is down to lots of relatively short passenger rides I have given over the weekend. Perhaps I should start charging!

Papalazarou
24-07-2006, 04:06 PM
In my opinion, if you listen to 5 live you don't deserve to get any reception at all. :) :D :twisted:

Cheers,

James.

britlude
24-07-2006, 04:32 PM
mines JDM with widget fitted so the standard radio can receive UK FM frequencies... no problem at all (apart from the displayed frquency being wrong!), and I only have the antenna 1/2 height. never tried AM, but that's just cos I got fed up with AM being poor quality anyway!!!!!

WhyOne?
24-07-2006, 05:20 PM
In my opinion, if you listen to 5 live you don't deserve to get any reception at all. :) :D :twisted:

Cheers,

James.

Thank's for that James! :roll: :D

I see you are just accross the Azure blue Bristol Channel from where I grew up - Burnham / Brent Knoll. Nice part of the world - my folks still live in Brent Knoll, so Y1 may be making a visit to Somerset sometime soon!

Papalazarou
24-07-2006, 05:49 PM
I aim to please!
But I never mean it seriously. Unless it's an anti targa thing and then I get a bit tetchy......you know who you are!

With regard to getting down to Somerset. Give me a shout when you're in the area. I'll PM you my number.

Cheers,

James.

ctrlaltdelboy
24-07-2006, 06:14 PM
sorry to go slightly off topic (if it goes to far we'll make a fresh thread of it!) but regards the anti-targa thing, it's extraodinary how far some targa owners will go to fitt in with the real NSXers

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61106

:D

[/runs away laughing demonically at the rage now instilled in the papa]

britlude
24-07-2006, 06:21 PM
light blue touch-paper, and retire to a safe distance.....

NSX 2000
24-07-2006, 09:02 PM
Whyone,
I also live in the southeast and can tell you that I recive five live loud and clear, in fact the radio is so good that I could even get coverage in belgium :shock:

Have to sometimes flick between 693 and 909 but apart from that should be fine.

TheQuietOne
25-07-2006, 08:28 AM

Cheers,

James.

I guess as a listener to Radio 4 you're just settling into old age early then James...I suppose that fits with the 'convertable' image too...:twisted:

Radio 4 = Depressing Take on the News + THE ARCHERS
Radio 5 = Depressing News with a Humourous Twist + SPORT

:wink: Matt :wink:

Papalazarou
25-07-2006, 06:16 PM
sorry to go slightly off topic (if it goes to far we'll make a fresh thread of it!) but regards the anti-targa thing, it's extraodinary how far some targa owners will go to fitt in with the real NSXers

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61106

:D

[/runs away laughing demonically at the rage now instilled in the papa]

Darren, you're a bitch (meow!). I hope all your warning lights flicker on at once and refuse to go out! :lol:

Cheers,

James.

Papalazarou
25-07-2006, 06:19 PM

Cheers,

James.

I guess as a listener to Radio 4 you're just settling into old age early then James...I suppose that fits with the 'convertable' image too...:twisted:

I feel a reinstated photograph coming on!

Besides, why is everyone ganging up on me?

WhyOne?
25-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Now then people!

For the last few weeks I have been lurking on NSXCB an have been interested to see how civil and sensible everyone is.

I am very impressed to see that a perfectly benigne thread about radio reception can decend into chaos. Reminds me of S2ki :wink:

Anyway, sorry to be a killjoy and haul this back o/t, but could anyone tell me how to get the radio out of the car without destroying the dash please? (I want to check the aerial connection).

Any othor diagnostic tricks I could try to help isolate the problem would be most welcome.

Many ta's!

TheQuietOne
26-07-2006, 07:17 AM

Cheers,

James.

I feel a reinstated photograph coming on!

Besides, why is everyone ganging up on me?

Ok I take it back - you keep listening to the lunchtime play, and we'll keep listening to Nicky Campbell and Sheilagh Fogerty (sic), and we'll call a truce - but you started it :P :wink:

Regarding the radio, the easiest connection to check first up is the one in the boot, top left so to speak - maksure the aerial connection isn't slightly dodgy there first! Come on everyone who has played with their stereos help Ian out then!

jaytip
27-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Anyway, sorry to be a killjoy and haul this back o/t, but could anyone tell me how to get the radio out of the car without destroying the dash please? (I want to check the aerial connection).

Here you go.
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/DIY/center_console_dash.htm

WhyOne?
27-07-2006, 12:22 PM
You a star - thank-you!

Lankstarr
27-07-2006, 01:04 PM
my aerial reception was really naff due to having leaking boot in the past.

I unplugged the aerial jack in the boot gave it a good rub with sandpaper and did the same for the socket that it plugged in to. Now I have perfect reception whereas before I couldn't even pick up Radio 1!!!

kowalski
27-07-2006, 05:08 PM
I havent been able to listen to my radio since I broke the Arial off travelling at more than 150! (mythical speed!?). The Arial bent back, then when I tuned the Radio off and it tried to retract snapped off completely!

Never got round to replacing it, just listen to CD's / ipod or the sound of the engine! :lol:

It used to get good reception till then.

leigh