PDA

View Full Version : Fitting HID

gsuds
20-07-2006, 09:21 AM
So the sun's out, household bodies elsewhere - excellent, let's fit new lights :D

...except fall at the first hurdle - can't get cover screws out!! Soaked in penetrant etc, 3 stuck fast & just beginning to chew up :evil:

Very frustrating. The technical aspects of fitting look v. uncomplicated - but I can't get in!

Dan / whoever else has done it - was this a problem? Don't really want to attack with impact drive but would this be an option without breaking anything? My car is relatively high-mileage and lives outdoors so I suspect ally screws have corroded a bit. Any thoughts much appreciated...

Still, the side repeater change was easy & makes a surprising difference to look of car. 8)

Graham

DTA-Motorsport
20-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Hi Graham,

This has been a problem for me on two occasions. What helped every time was to soak the offending screws in WD40 or penetrating oil and very carefully try and twist back and forth. When the screw does begin to turn resist the temptation to completely undo it - you may end up stripping the thread this way. Once again, apply WD40 and continue with the twisting backwards/forwards action. Eventually the screw will come out completely. The screws are actually made of nylon which is why it is so easy to strip the thread.

I'm sorry I can't be more help - persistence in the only way forward!

Good luck!

Dan

gsuds
28-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Finally done it - my headlamp cover screws are metal, and 1 simply wouldn't budge.

After about 5 hours total sweating at it (not exaggerating..) eventually filed flats on the sides and got it with adjustable wrench - after attempting to drill it out...think the heat generated might have budged the threads.

Anyway - the kit's an absolute doddle to fit. Thanks so much for expert fitting instructions Dan! :D

(Only bit of consternation - my car has red - not white - power lead to bulb, so felt a bit counter-intuitive fitting red to black and black to red in conversion!)

Had to go for a twilight blast to celebrate. Awesome difference.

Just got to get the alignment checked at my local garage - they love the car! Does anyone else find they get a crowd around their NSXs anytime they park?? There's certainly a lot of the "I've loved those since they came out" type comments, don't really get the jealous-type ones...

DTA-Motorsport
28-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Hi Graham,

Glad to hear you've managed to fit the kit! My apologies for the "incorrect" colour of the power wire ... It's one of those Japanese (logic) things. I've fitted these HID kits to quite a few NSX's now and have come across two distinctly different power wire colours: red (95%) and white (5%). I will make a note in the fitting instructions that these are interchangeable. Thanks for letting me know.

Get that alignment checked and all the best with the kit.

Best regards,

Dan

AR
28-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Glad to hear is that simple, got mine a few days ago and will have a go when time permits.

Thanks for the help and patience Dan.

Cheers

AR

NSXGB
28-07-2006, 07:06 PM
...are they pure white HID's or do they have a strong blue tinge?

AR
28-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Dan offered all colors to the group buy. I went for 8000k with a blue color to them.

Cheers

AR

DAVEMAT
30-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Mine fitted aswell. :D
Thanks very much Dan, really easy to follow instructions.

Dave

DTA-Motorsport
31-07-2006, 10:05 AM
...are they pure white HID's or do they have a strong blue tinge?

Indeed I offered the 6000K and 8000K kits. The former is pure white with a slight blue tinge, the latter has a much stronger blue tinge.

I can supply these kits in any bulb fitment so if you are considering upgrading another car then let me know ...

Kits are purchased to order and are usually available within 7 working days. All kits come with everything you need to fit, including full fitting instructions and, in the case of the NSX, a short conversion wire.

Club price is £250 delivered (rrp = £285 + p/p).

All the best,

Dan

kevinpsw
10-08-2006, 07:19 AM
I had the same problems with rusted screws but otherwise the kit was very easy to fit. Recommended.