PDA

View Full Version : Leaking boot & lights- fixed!

Lankstarr
20-07-2006, 09:19 AM
I kknwo there ar eposts galore on prime about this but I dont have access so went about it the hard way and fixed myself.

From what I could determine the drainage from the boot is meant to drain out between the foam seals for the lights.

If the light is not tightly fitted or if any of these foam seals is breached the the water will go through the seals, into the lights and into the boot ... condensation anyone!?

My problem was that the old foam seals (car is only a '98!!) were letting all of the water in through the RHS lights and into the boot. As the boot got hot the water evaporated and got into the other light etc etc

I removed the light and carefully ditributed flexible waterproof silicone sealant on the insides of all of the sealsbefore clamping the lights tightly back on.

Admittedly this was a risk that will cost me some new foamy sealy bits if I ever need to take the light out but it has stopped the leaking so I am haopppy!

Anyone need to know more about what I did then I'm happy to help :D

DTA-Motorsport
20-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Well done Luke - glad to hear your DIY skill are being put to good use! Your Mrs must be proud! LOL :twisted:

Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday - will give you a call when I'm there.

ATB

Dan

Lankstarr
20-07-2006, 12:35 PM
She doesn't know I spent 2 hours on the car rather than doing DIY or there'd be hell to pay :lol:

thought Iwas in for a major light rebuild and reseal but was really chuffed when my water test came up dry, what with the weather we have been having the lights have dried out completely in 2 days and probably for the first ttime in its life my car has a watertight boot that I can actually keep things in!