PDA

View Full Version : Type S at Silverstone

Rob_Fenn
20-07-2006, 08:22 AM
Can't remember the username but i saw this NSX turn up as we were leaving. You may of seen our one on the back of Plans Motorsport's trailer?

I was wondering how you rate those evening trackdays? How many hours do you get?

Those BBS wheels looked great and the little colour coded badge too :)

Cheers,

-Rob

markc
20-07-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi Rob,

Yeah, that was me. I did see your car and spoke to Graham about how it was going with it's new brakes & suspension etc

I also heard that it was doin' donuts in the car park... tut tut you'll give us all a bad name. That behaviour is stricly for Porsche/BMW drivers. :P

I found this Goldtrack run evening format just right. You get an Open Pit Lane, from 5.30 to 8.00pm, so as much lappery as you and/or your car can take in these 2.5hrs. I did about 70 track miles in 5-8 lap stints so as to not overheat the brakes and tyres. Cost was £135 which I though was fair considering it was the full GP circuit. Tuition is available (from Callum Lockie International GT driver and boss of Goldtrack if you want) but is expensive.
I got chatting with Callum's 17yr, old nephew who is working his way through karting and Formula Ford and knows the circuit and correct lines well even at this tender age. He was aware of the NSX courtesy of Grand Turismo 4 and wanted a ride. He gave me some good tips on lines, braking and turn in and went away impressed with the NSX. Apparently he realise they were THAT fast. :D

My only complaint was that prior to the day they went large on the noise front and said it was a 98db (static measured) event.
I changed my Dali exhaust back to the standard one so was a bit pissed off that in fact it was 98db measured by the trackside monitoring. There were loads of fairly noisy cars there and my Dali system would have been fine and saved me som mud in the eyes. :roll:

Cheers

Mark

Rob_Fenn
20-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Shame on the exhaust front, can't say i've seen noise checks been made for a couple of years now...although haven't been to all tracks!

All misbehaviour was for the better of the NSX community, don't worry! :wink: We found that during the day the rear bushes were allowing up to 4mm of extra toe which was slightly worrying. Plans will be sorting out a solution though.

Glad you had fun, we were in sessions and even though the day was fun we were often frustrated by the amount of red flags and associated lost time.

Perhaps our next event will coincide better.

Cheers,

-Rob

markc
20-07-2006, 01:11 PM
Apparently Goodwood is the worst for noise, the trackside meters are networked to the local council offices. If the noise level gets breached they have to close the circuit shut down completely for a while!

We only had 1 red flag in the whole session and that was just for an errant helmet bag that flew out of a Caterham on the main straight. By the time we came in to the pit lane it gone green again.

I was pleased to be issued with number 53 for the event. Lets call my NSX Herbie (The love bug) in an Orange dress. :D

Extra toe under braking I assume? Sounds like some rose joints will be in order.

Cheers

Mark

kowalski
20-07-2006, 02:04 PM
I remember reading in one of the NSX books that the rear geometry was designed to alter its rear toe in under braking & acceleration. Will try and find out where I read it.

leigh

graham h
20-07-2006, 08:06 PM
"designed to alter its rear toe in under braking & acceleration" true, which is a good thing, but it also does it under cornering too, which is not so good.

So we are looking into a bush kit / rose joints.

We were NOT doing donuts... just driving round in a contsant radius circle with little or no lock to judge what the rear steer was like with different toe settings. Although the tyres were squealing a bit!

kowalski
20-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Not so sure about that,

Found this on page 63 of The Honda NSX, Honda's Super sports Car (ISBN 0951775103) in the section on Chassis design.

"In contrast to the front, some change in wheel toe in or alignment is desirable at the rear as long as it is carefully controlled. While the wheels should be paralell at constant speed on a straight road, under braking and acceleration it is useful to have a small amount of toe in. This is also the case in hard cornering, where the toe in helps the car to turn into the bend quicker. Anti-squat technology counteracts the tendency for the tail to dip under hard acceleration"

Maybe if your setting yours up for full track you wont want this?

leigh

Rob_Fenn
21-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Thanks for digging that up Leigh!

The problem, i think, was that we went out with a toe setting and it came back with a wildy different setting once the half hour of driving was done!