PDA

View Full Version : Best speed camera detector for the NSX?

AR
18-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Any recommendations as to model, price to pay, where to buy it?

Cheers

AR

ctrlaltdelboy
18-07-2006, 10:35 PM
do you have a modern phone e.g nokia N70 etc - anything running a symbian operating system?

if so, you can get a bluetooth GPS dongle for £30-£80 and run tomtom navigation on it together with 'point of interest' alerts.

you can download regular updates of the UK speed camera database (as your 'points of interest') from pocketgpsworld (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/subscription.php) if you subscribe for £19 per year.

you'll need a memory card of whatever type your phone takes in a minimum size of 256MB on which to install the software and GB maps.

if you want to go this route and have full navigation and speed camera alerts on your mobile phone, then I can sort you out with the required software and maps ;)

or you can just get the whole package pre-loaded onto a suitable memory card from tomtom including gps dongle as seen here (http://tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=208&Language=1) for just over £200

if you want something more 'purpose-built' then there is a wide range of products to evaluate as seen here (http://www.radar-detectors.co.uk/radar_detector_comparison.asp), but remember, most cost around £200-£300 and require around £50 per year subscription for updated databases

hope that helps

AR
18-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Darren I have the Nokia 8800, so I think my only option is to go for a separate one.

Cheers for the post, will check out the link.

AR

jaytip
18-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Darren I have the Nokia 8800, so I think my only option is to go for a separate one.

Cheers for the post, will check out the link.

AR
Slightly off topic(sorry)
AR is the 8800 any good? I can get one off my mate second hand for £175. At the moment i have a V3 razor and it's the worst phone i have ever had :evil:

AR
18-07-2006, 11:16 PM
I used to swaer by my 6310i, still think is the best, but as a modern looking and practical phone the 8800 is hard to beat. Battery life is not as good as the 6310i, but it easily goes all day.

Cheers

AR

NSXGB
19-07-2006, 07:55 AM
Can vouch for the software Darren is describing....got mine for £5 off ebay! Works really well, but does not obviously warn of mobile speed traps and you have to keep your databse updated.

The software and maps I have (major european routes too) takes up 120Mb on the memory card, so go for at least a 256MB card, as Darren said, cheap as you like these days.

My setup cost me £75 (phone was a free upgrade - 6680), not bad for a satnav system!

DAVEMAT
19-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Road Angel 2 gets my vote, saved my licence many times, and not too intrusive on the dash, although I have to use the windscreen mount now, as the sticky magnetic pad that sticks it to the top of your dash, tends to loose its adhesiveness after a while due to the acceleration of the NSX, probably not a problem with most other cars.
By the way "battery life not too good on the 8800", is a bit of an understatement, that's why they supply it with 2, and both of mine were normally dead by lunch time, had to get rid, excellent phone if your not a heavy user though.